BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default Whirlwind? Worth it?

Im a Space Wolf player.

Ive been considering taking out my Lemun Russ Exterminator (since Im going to lose it soon anyway according to rumor) and replacing it with 2 Whirlwinds. I was just curious, is it worth it?

Seems like it might be nice, I can hide it in cover and just fire all day long, and using the Castellan missles means that no cover save is gained. I spent 208 points on the Lemun Russ, and would spend 170 on 2 Whirlwinds.

So I ask again... worth it?

The trend in Marine armies these days is towards the predator destructor over the ww. The predator has good frontal armour, and against all mech armies it can at least try to pop a transport with its autocannon. Against horde armies it's good at thinning the herd with 8 bs4 shots out to 36". For the same points cost as a ww you get a lot more versatility IMHO.

For that cost, I would add another squad in a rhino. You can't have too many Wolves running around.
    http://crazyredpraetorian.blogspot.com/
    http://theflylordsofterra.blogspot.com/

Against hordes the ww are awesome.

Brother-Captain

Whirlwinds provide a big blast that negates cover, good for entrenched enemies or baddies that just lost their transports.

They don't so much as tickle armor though, so you'll need something to knock transports out so you can shell the occupants.

If you're dropping an Exterminator, you may just want to field a pair of Predators instead. Same role, same weapons, just twice as many.

Battle-Brother

very, mine killed my bros fire warrior squads tons of times. a squad a turn

Battle-Brother

I dunno. The ability to use a Lehman Russ is a pure Spacewolves joy. You are not building a ultramarines variant. Be the wolf. Characters, long fangs, packs, scouts, Russes.

Veteran-Sergeant

Whirlwinds have all but vanished in 5th edition due to transparent over. Armor 11 vehicles are very easy to glance or destroy long range now so it is almost pointless to try and get one or two good shots a game from a vehicle that will get wrecked. Even with horde armies it is hard to make back the points you would spend on the whirlwind. More troops choices never hurt not a somewhat useless heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ming View Post
    I dunno. The ability to use a Lehman Russ is a pure Spacewolves joy. You are not building a ultramarines variant. Be the wolf. Characters, long fangs, packs, scouts, Russes.
    The Space Wolves are supposed to lose the Russ next month.
    http://crazyredpraetorian.blogspot.com/
    http://theflylordsofterra.blogspot.com/

Veteran-Sergeant

If you're going to take a Whirlwind, do it in pairs. Always. One Whirlie is far too easy to disable or destroy. Taking two also helps ensure that you hit one target very hard each turn. If you focus your fire, sometimes you can even cause decent damage to a squad of Marines or similar, and you can force multiple pinning checks per turn (each one at a -1 modifier thanks to the ordnance barrage rule! ).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast