BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Brother-Sergeant

Whirlwinds are seriously underrated. With cover so strong in 5th edition, denying it is a powerful ability. Being able to in cover yourself and fire, ignoring enemy cover gives them increased protection too.

I was actually advising a Space Wolf player last night to not take his 2 Whirlwinds in a Space Marine dominated metagame, but he killed 3 terminators over 2 turns with 1. Hitting several models at once is going to push some dice to land on those glorious 1s!

The pinning and AP makes them an excellent horde slayer. I often take down Ork lootas and Shokk guns with mine.

Veteran-Sergeant

The fashion these days is for the now cheaper Predator but I don't see the appeal myself.

Whirlwinds in pairs are great in an all Mech marine army. You build a wall with rhinos to keep those hordes of orks at bay and lob s5 ordnance over the top. Instant pate`. Alternatively, they are the best way to deal with guard platoons- in cover or otherwise. Despite the obvious attractions, most people can't afford chimeras to mech their guard up so you often find 25 man platoons of troops presenting obvious targets.

Repeated shelling of that one tactical squad sitting on an objective in cover and your opponent will get annoyed - and pinning / leadership tests are still worrisome for any marine player, particularly when that tactical squad is 7" from their board edge. Don't expect miracles as you might from a vindicator, but the annoyance factor is far greater. No one likes to see big templates held over their units regardless of the outcome. Ww's tend to attract infiltrators - snikrot and scouts etc, but not deep strikers- opponents don't seem to think 85 points is worth stranding their 200pts of drop pod Ironclad etc.

I don't like whirlwinds with gun line armies. They work with agressive armies that push forward and keep the enemy at a distance from your whirlwinds at your back line. So if your wolves are mounted up (perhaps on their four legged friends under the new codex!) this could work for you.

Swat up on pinning and barrage rules and there are real benefits to be enjoyed. I've never played an infantry eldar army but would love to with a pair of wws.
    Last edited by ggg; 09-03-2009 at 03:28 PM. Reason: old edition syndrone

I love whirlwinds.

Even though they are not good at dealing with armor against some of the more popular transports out there they are not completely worthless. Many a times I have popped/crippled a rhino, predator or chimera thanks to the barrage hitting side armor.

Would you recommend Whirlwinds against 'Nid armies? I haven't got the SM codex handy, but I'm guessing they'll be rather good at taking out Genestealers and gaunts.

Brother-Captain

Whirlwinds are easily worth their points against non-MEQ armies, they butcher my rather expensive aspect warriors easily.

With my WW defensively. I field two and with one i drop mines to help block objectives while the other one targets any squad getting to close.

Battle-Brother

Jearden, did you ever try a game with the whirlwind yet? I played several games in 4th edition where I would run 3 of them at a time. One deployed in the center, and one on each edge to get the maximum amount of coverage so that at least two whrilwinds could hit a single target each turn. They worked great pinning units or making them take those 25% checks.

Chapter-Master

If you could scrounge up the parts, I'd get both. The only real difference is the turret and sponson, all of which could be magnified. That way you could pick and choose. If you can find something to represent the Whirlwind missile launcher, then get a predator and magnetize the sponsons so you can remove them.

If you're facing plenty of MEQ, I'd probably go with the predator. MEQ's tend to be mechanized and have smaller squad sizes, so you can probably put out more wounds with a predator (not to mention do more damage to vehicles). If you face lots of non-MEQ (someone mentioned Tyranids), whirlwinds are great. If you face a mix, then get one of each.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234