BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

whirlwinds are really good at taking out anything in carapace armor (and i do mean storm troopers nobz and aspect warriors).
    remember if you don't mind scattering i.e. playing an ork horde fire indirectly then the cover save is worked out from the center of the template so hiding behind other units doesn't help. and at 85 points they are such a great choice in small games.
    another advantage of being 85 points is its not worth a lascannon to most people if you've got a few other heavier tanks and transports being a bit scary you will find your whirlwinds make it the end of the game when your vindicator did not.

Battle-Brother

Im going to wait until the new Codex regardless, but replaceing the Russ is going to be hard. I cant tell you the number of times it had helped turn the game in my favor, and if nothing else, it becomes the focus of fire leaving my Predator Annilator to hunt and kill.

It just time to start thinking about my Heavy choices. they arent going to change that much I dont think.

The Russ is going to be hard to replace.

Personally I love using whirlwinds against my usual imperial guard or eldar opponents. They're lovely and cheap for the number of troops they can take out.

Space wolves are an assault army. Given the mechanized armies that we see running around these days, I think you'd be better off with a vehicle that can kill enemy transports so that your line squads can assault the poor *******s who get out.

So I guess my answer would be "no" unless you face a lot of horde type armies in your area. Whirlwinds are all but useless against a mechanized opponent, unless said opponent is running trukks or raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie Drake View Post
    If you're going to take a Whirlwind, do it in pairs. Always. One Whirlie is far too easy to disable or destroy. Taking two also helps ensure that you hit one target very hard each turn. If you focus your fire, sometimes you can even cause decent damage to a squad of Marines or similar, and you can force multiple pinning checks per turn (each one at a -1 modifier thanks to the ordnance barrage rule! ).
    I agree about taking 2, now if only I could get the darn things to stop scattering!

Scout

I personally wouldn't take one on an all comers list as their are much nicer things in the codex to spend my points on. even if you knew you were going to be facing up against guard, orks or tau it seems like most people are using transports these days and they are of limited use.

Battle-Brother

I like the whirlwind, a friend of mine regularly takes 2 in his Dark Angels and they always do well, even against marines they cause a large amount of hits and so saves do get failed.

Versus other lightly armoured oponents they excel and are great for taking out guard command squads hiding in cover.

I think they provide the advantage of indirect fire, which is something marines lack.
    The ability to target a scoring unit hiding in terrain or out of sight is huge in any objective games.

Scout

I've tried them numerous times and I have almost always found myself wanting a different heavy option in their place. They are indeed cheap but are really easy to make into just a box.

ww are well worth these days, due to the increase in imperial guard armies. ww are great against entrenched guard due to negating cover, and still ignoring their armour. As a space marine player, guard armies are often my downfall, and ww help deal with guard.

Brother-Captain

For the amazingly cheap price, they are worth it. A 85pts tank which wounds eldar on 2's and ignores their armour, and ignores cover? Who wouldn't? Not that aspect warriors are all it's good for of course, but it's the most expensive thing they can blow away. Easily makes it's points multiple times in a game.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast