BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

i would take a LS typhoon over a WW since its faster an people tend to ignore it unless there playing a horde army.

Quote Originally Posted by biteymcrunrun View Post
    ww are well worth these days, due to the increase in imperial guard armies. ww are great against entrenched guard due to negating cover, and still ignoring their armour. As a space marine player, guard armies are often my downfall, and ww help deal with guard.
    You must see a lot of horde guard. I usually see mechanized variants - either chimeras or valkyrie based. Against such a list, the Whirly is good once you get them out of the transports. But so are bolters and flamers, and you still have the problem of getting them out in the first place.

Scout

In my opinion the Predator is a better option.

However if the rumours are true then the Space wolves are getting a Land Raider Variant which should be a direct replacement for the Exterminator anyway.

I think the predator destructor can just pore out shots, with 10 shots at bs 4, 8 of which are at 36". This spells death for hordes, and the increased front armor adds survivability, especially in a mech list! Of course the 10 shots can usually be equalled by the WW, and ignore cover, so the question is really one of personal preference!

Scout

I have a lot more respect for the WW these days because of the ordnance barrage rules. The other day the Marine player I was facing used to pop a Chimera and a Russ, shocking the hell out of me. Meanwhile his predator annihilator sat there and whiffed with everything.

Brother-Sergeant

Against non SM armies, SURE!

Chaplain

I haven't used a Whirlwnid before, so my comments are purely paper view.

If I played against a lot of horde and foot armies, then yes. But with mech armies becmoing more and more popular you need to pop that armour before using the Whirlwind, which means you won't get to use it as often.

I would get one bases upon what armies you play against most often only.
    www.imperiusdominatus.com - warhammer 40,000 tactica and hobby blog

My whirlwinds are used as converted Exorsists =)

Yes, Whirlwinds are decent choices for the points, and can be very good against certain armies. Sometimes it's best to Reserve them and let the tougher units open transports for a couple turns before you bring them on, as they aren't very good against armor, but draw deadly amounts of fire from enemies who are vulnerable to them and have firepower. Of course, hiding one and encouraging fire on it may very well allow your assault elements to avoid some fire, so there is good reason to deploy it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilit View Post
    I have a lot more respect for the WW these days because of the ordnance barrage rules. The other day the Marine player I was facing used to pop a Chimera and a Russ, shocking the hell out of me. Meanwhile his predator annihilator sat there and whiffed with everything.
    Hang on. How did it blow up a leman russ? IIRC, the barrage rules state that if the blast marker hole is over the vehicle then the vehicle is hit on side armor which is too high for the whirly to hurt, and if the blast marker hole is NOT over the vehicle, then the strength will not be good enough to penetrate rear armor.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast