BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Embarked

I just re read the BA dex and the Dread is not embarked, it is rear with the grapple. It suffers a s4 hit if SR explodes.

Chapter-Master

What does "it is rear with the grapple" mean? Is that code for something.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Default ha rear with grapple

Sorry typing on a small android phone. I should have put "plus a single dreadnought in its rear grapple" and that also sounds a little off!

Chaplain

Here is the problem; the answer “not embarked” makes many more questions for that one answer. I prefer to keep it simple. Here are a few questions I can think of: does the dread have to end its movement within 2” to be grappled? Or can the grapple just grab him on the fly by? Can the dread be targeted since it is not embarked? Can the Dread assault the turn it is released by the grapple, it is not using the assault ramps nor disembarking. Can the dread use the skies of blood rule since the dread is not embarked. And so on. Darklink is correct, what are the rules for the grapples?

Again, fluff is being mixed with the rules. Realism has no place in the rules, so what we believe should happen most of the time does not translate to the ruleset. Fluffwise the dread may hang out the back, but rules say different. To be transported, the model must embark. Once embarked you follow all rules for embarked models (fire points, access points, targeting, etc.) except where we are told different (Dread takes a S4 hit).
    When you hear hoof-beats, it's best to think horses not zebras.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Baka View Post
    I just re read the BA dex and the Dread is not embarked, it is rear with the grapple. It suffers a s4 hit if SR explodes.
    the reason the Dread takes a hit against its rear armor is because every model that is embarked on an exploding vehicle takes a str 4 hit. The BA book is making sure that everyone knows to apply to the rear armor, not the front (where it does nothing).

Also, if you read the rules for embarking on a transport, you have to embark!

Chapter-Master

If its not embarked then it doesn't move with the SR, it can be targeted independently, can fire independently, and otherwise doesn't share anything with the SR. Essentially what I'm trying to say is. there are very clearly defined rules for Embarked units. There are no clearly defined rules for a unit "mounted to rear grapple".

Brother-Sergeant

ruleswise, i would agree with it being embarked. in an apoc game, or a very informal game, of course i would allow the dread to fire and be targeted at (hit on a 6+) to adhere to the rule of cool.
    Life becomes so much more tolerable when you finally admit that it's all part of Tzeentch's plan.

Chapter-Master

actually, that stormraven variant datasheet that mbg made should have allowed a dread to fire!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by justsam View Post
    ruleswise, i would agree with it being embarked. in an apoc game, or a very informal game, of course i would allow the dread to fire and be targeted at (hit on a 6+) to adhere to the rule of cool.
    no....just.... ehh... no.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12