BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chaplain

Default Independent Character Regrouping Question

Hello all,

The following situation occured this weekend, and I just wanted to be sure it was handled correctly. My IC was in a close combat and the unit he was attached to was destroyed. He failed the morale check, was not caught in a sweeping advance, and fell back. This was during my opponent's turn. At the beginning of my turn, no enemy was within 6", I then took a Ld test to regroup, which I passed, so he consolidated 3" and ran toward another friendly unit and joined it because he was in 2" coherency with it.

If one model of the unit my IC was attached to survived, he would not have been able to rally because he still would have been part of the unit and the unit would not have been at 50% strength, so it just would have run off the board. The section about retinues says that characters become ICs after their retinue is destroyed. In my case, the unit my IC was attached to was destroyed, so he became a unit of one again, right? Therefore the regrouping test was legit or was I wrong?

Also, does the unit below half strength apply to single model units? In other words, can a fleeing Archon with 1 remaining wound regroup? Mine had all of his when making the test.

Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks!

You handled it correctly
    Yes he becomes an IC after the retinue is killed
    The test is only for models, how many wounds he has is not relevant

sounds good except independent characters may only join units in the movement phase. you cannot run to join another unit as that occurs in the shooting phase.

Quote Originally Posted by DrWobbles View Post
    sounds good except independent characters may only join units in the movement phase. you cannot run to join another unit as that occurs in the shooting phase.
    So in the case he stated, it would just be two separate units standing within 2" of each other then?

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Fellend View Post
    You handled it correctly
    Yes he becomes an IC after the retinue is killed
    The test is only for models, how many wounds he has is not relevant
    That's what I thought, i.e. unit strength refers to model count. Thanks for the feedback everyone. The only way my Archon could be shot at was by bolters, who were out of rapid fire range, because the grey hunters had moved. Regarding the unit the Archon joined, they were stationary, so I could have moved them instead to establish coherency. At the end of the day, nothing would have changed, which is good to know. It is a bummer when you find out you didn't do something right and the outcome of a fight or the game might have been different.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by plawolf View Post
    So in the case he stated, it would just be two separate units standing within 2" of each other then?
    Correct.

I've had to point out that a single IC consolidating from a won combat cannot join a near-bye squad ether because it's not the movement phase.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Necron_Lord View Post
    At the beginning of my turn, no enemy was within 6", I then took a Ld test to regroup, which I passed, so he consolidated 3" and ran toward another friendly unit and joined it because he was in 2" coherency with it.
    this part is correct. the IC ended his movement phase within 2 inches of the unit, and becomes part of it then.
    Life becomes so much more tolerable when you finally admit that it's all part of Tzeentch's plan.

[QUOTE]this part is correct. the IC ended his movement phase within 2 inches of the unit, and becomes part of it then.
    Today 09:38 AM
    [/QUOTE

except he didn't end his movement within two inches.

Chaplain

I do belive that its saying that he used his 3" rally move and then in his shooting phase ran to be within 2" of the unit, in this case no he can not join the unit.

If its saying he used the 3" rally move to come within 2" of the unit then he is able to join it,

as i read it tho its using the run rule in the shooting phase

Ah yes in that case you are correct. I didn't take ran as using the run rule, I thought he just meant moving the normal 6inch after consolidating (thank you GW)

wow I just realized that I assumed he and everyone else plays space marines...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast