BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Foot Slogging viable?

So with the prevalence of mech armies in tournament settings I'm wondering if foot sloggers (besides tyranids) are still a viable competitive choice? Are horde orks even that nasty anymore? I ask this partly because I currently run 2 mech armies (IG and BA). Gun line IG isnt what it was in 4th edition (mech vets FTW!) and I've never been a fan of marines with out either a vehicle or a jump pack. But lately tho I've been chewing over the idea of a horde style World Eaters army with things like dreads and a land raider in support but would this be a competitive build? Whats your thoughts on this?

I think it can be... if you combine large platoons together and add some force multipliers such as straken or even a lord commissar... although I would suggest the former over the latter.

The tough thing would be the prevelence of transports who can move 12" and scoot away from charge range. You would have to take somekind of outflanking or DS to deal with move ablitily of transports. Running across the board will not get you into charge range before turn 3. Armies like the IG and Orks with lootas will shoot you to pieces by then.

it does seem in 5th the way to go is Mech, and i myself can't find a working army to foot slog

Yeah this question mostly came out of an idea for a new army that wasnt all mounted. I do have plenty of IG to play what ever style I want but I'm looking for something new. I was thinking a horde style WE army would be interesting but I do see lots of draw backs to it. Meh I may just say screw it and go for it anyway. Part of me wants to believe that it could work! haha

I think with 2 of the 3 gametypes being objective based you need the speed that a mech army can bring you.

Veteran-Sergeant

With my IG, I tried a variation, I have a platoon that sits an shoots, a platoon that part of is mounted and the other half advances behind. If they kill the transports then they resume being all on foot. If not then I can use the sloggers to assault while the mounted, dismount and shoot. Accompaning them is a transports with ogryns. An extra little surpirse. Most are not expecting a aggressive IG army, and have to reconsider their plans.
    Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. Armed Forces don't have that problem. R Regan

Scout

I find the only even moderately effective foot-sloggers are a firing line with long range and some fast response elements. IG with sentinels or Vets in Chimeras, Tau with Kroot, etc.

The only marines I have seen that can make foot-slogging work is Black templars, and you have to max out the squad sizes to make it across the table. Footslogging is better for horde armies - where the ubiquitous 4+ cover save of 5th Edition makes them worth models twice their points. Marines are too precious to walk.

Chaplain

Marines are indeed too precious to walk.

I don't take the transport for speed, I take them for survivability. Units that can take some heat, I won't transport at all. In my usual list I walk three dreads and a bunch of assault terminators across the board, and they tend to survive for a long time despite their inherent speed and being fired on a lot.

Prevalence of targets is key; the enemy needs to have tons of targets of comparable defense so the damage is spread out somewhat. My three dreadnoughts performs much better than using two, for example (but damn do I hate having to take the master of the forge...)

www.evildice40k.com

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast