BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Foot Slogging viable?

So with the prevalence of mech armies in tournament settings I'm wondering if foot sloggers (besides tyranids) are still a viable competitive choice? Are horde orks even that nasty anymore? I ask this partly because I currently run 2 mech armies (IG and BA). Gun line IG isnt what it was in 4th edition (mech vets FTW!) and I've never been a fan of marines with out either a vehicle or a jump pack. But lately tho I've been chewing over the idea of a horde style World Eaters army with things like dreads and a land raider in support but would this be a competitive build? Whats your thoughts on this?

I think it can be... if you combine large platoons together and add some force multipliers such as straken or even a lord commissar... although I would suggest the former over the latter.

The tough thing would be the prevelence of transports who can move 12" and scoot away from charge range. You would have to take somekind of outflanking or DS to deal with move ablitily of transports. Running across the board will not get you into charge range before turn 3. Armies like the IG and Orks with lootas will shoot you to pieces by then.

it does seem in 5th the way to go is Mech, and i myself can't find a working army to foot slog

Yeah this question mostly came out of an idea for a new army that wasnt all mounted. I do have plenty of IG to play what ever style I want but I'm looking for something new. I was thinking a horde style WE army would be interesting but I do see lots of draw backs to it. Meh I may just say screw it and go for it anyway. Part of me wants to believe that it could work! haha

I think with 2 of the 3 gametypes being objective based you need the speed that a mech army can bring you.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRollRebel View Post
    But lately tho I've been chewing over the idea of a horde style World Eaters army with things like dreads and a land raider in support but would this be a competitive build? Whats your thoughts on this?
    I think you should follow your passion. While mechanised marines may have an advantage over non-mechanised, it's not insurmountable. Build an army with units that you love and want to play (instead of worrying about it being hyper-competitive). It sounds like you already have a couple of competitive armies, so why not build a fun one now?

I'd shy away from Chaos Dreadnoughts though. There are some pretty nice models in that range, but "crazed" keeps them from being fun on the table. Defilers are a lot more fun (and a lot more reliable).
    Check out my new Blog! --- http://www.ChainFist.com
    Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/40kNEWS

Dreadnoughts are awesome. Pure footslogging armies need to be light on expensive options, and still suffer a lot. I don't think you'll have a lot of success in tournament play with pure footslogger CSM, but you might enjoy taking them out for a spin anyway.

Librarian

i havent got much experience of playing with or against mech armies, but i'd say for the price of a transport, you can buff out your ranks with some cheap, no extras troops, you could use them as the shield, instead of the tank armour, let them soak up the damage until you can unleashyour assault/gunline

the prblem is speed, something i learnt steeply in my first 5th ed game, ork bikers making it to your frontline in turn 1 is so scary, i pretty much think it makes bikes as broken as hell, not only do they get the awesome saves, but they can negate you even getting a shot off at them...

so if you havent got any transports, you HAVE to play the waiting game, you simply can't take the hurt to the enemy's heart quickly enough. even without being shot up, falling back, pinned or anything else, a squad that moves its 6" every turn can only go 36" the entire game, with running thrown in you may make an enemy objective by turn 6, but with a transport, you can be there turn 3, and thats a lot more time for kickin ***
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

Scout

The guard army I am about to start will be predominantly footsloggers. Full Platoon gunline + 50 man conscript squad and 50 man guard squad outflanking with Tallarn dude (300 lasgun shots anyone) backed up by outflanking penal legion just for annoyance value.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast