BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Assault Rules

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lemt View Post
    "the closest attacking model must be moved to contact the closest model in the enemy unit against which the assault was declared. Then remaining models can assault models belonging to other enemy units"

Quoted again from the "assaulting multiple enemy units" section. Doesn't this part mean that you don't have to move all your minis towards the unit you directed your assault in the first place? After the first mini is moved, all the ret should be able to assault who they please, as long as they keep unit coherency.

Either way, I REALLY have to go to sleep (5:45 hours:minutes is all I have left), so I'll look into this again once I'm fresh tomorrow. I'm probably just not thinking clearly anymore.

EDIT: I'll also check your diagram tomorrow. I can't even understand my own diagrams right now.
    As I stated before, the sentence states to follow the moving assault model rules. The assault rules do not allow you to engage an enemy model from another unit until you fulfill all the conditions for moving your models.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    You forgot the most important rule for DnD.

The DM is always right.

As for playing with 'strangers' and 40k there are 'house rules'. And there are tournament rules. Most tournament rules are to just play the rules in the rulebook. If they do not announce formal rule changes before the game, you must follow the rules how they are written.
    "pg 2 the most important rule" is this ever brought up in tournaments? lol

anyways its 0345 here and i have to be up for work in a few hours so good night.
    "I Have Become Death the Destroyer of Worlds"

Chapter-Master

That's assuming you do not know the right page. I do know the relevant pages.

For this specific argument:
    p. 2, 3, 11, 12, 13, 14, 33, and 34.

for additional information:
    p. 76 and 15

Haven't read the entire thread (sorry?) and I can't believe I'm wasting my time with this, but:

How does a unit having permission to assault a second unit, not get around the statement "may not move into base contact with enemy models from a unit they are not assaulting."

If you are able to move into base contact with a second unit, then you would be assaulting that unit. The phrase in the second paragraph of the page is about moving into base contact with units that you are not assaulting. Not ones that you didn't declare an assault against, but ones that you are not assaulting. There is a big difference between those two.

The "rules for moving assaulting models" may or may not be everything listed under the rules for "MOVING ASSAULTING MODELS", but even if it does, ASSAULTING MULTIPLE ENEMY UNITS gives you permission to assault another unit.

Your argument that it only becomes possible to multiassault if it is impossible to get more models engaged to the first unit falls flat if we follow your original interpretation, as that would be moving "into base contact with enemy models from a unit they are not assaulting", which is (supposedly) not allowed when it is time to move the second model. Why would it be allowed when you need to move the last model?

Chapter-Master

Because you have fulfilled every rule for assaulting models- ie the model has done very possible move to reach the target unit.

However, assaulting multiple units only allows you to assault a second unit after you have fulfilled all the rules for assaulting the target unit.

If the rulebook had left that phrase out, then it would have been fine, because the Multi-assault rules would override the standard rules. However, that key phrase for following the assault rules is there, and the assault rules specifically state not to assault multiple units. You must fulfill all of the requirements before assaulting a second unit.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Darkstar View Post
    This is a valid interpretation of the rule i still believe it's not meant to be as restrictive as this

also what stopped the last model movin diagonally up and to the left avoiding the other unit and being closer to the original enemy?
    The three models that are bunched up in the enter prevent the model from getting closer, remember you still have to move around your own models.

OK, so reading this fresh, this is what I have to say.
    The rules that describe how to assault say you can't move miniatures into B2B with enemy minis that aren't in the unit you are assaulting.
    The rules for assaulting multiple enemy units, however, say something in addition to this. Literally it says that AFTER you move the first miniature into B2B with the enemy unit you declared the assault against, you can declare other enemy units as being assaulted too.
    So you have to then follow the rules for assaulting an enemy unit, just consider all the units that have now been declared as under assault by your forces as if they were a single enemy unit. AKA move your minis into B2B with enemy minis not already in B2B with yours, then get any other minis into B2B with enemy minis already in B2B with yours, then get within 2" of your minis already in B2B with the enemy, then all the rest of the minis must mntain coherency.

So I'm sticking to the second diagram I have drawn.

Lemt : Your more liberal interpretation is correct.

Tynskel: You clearly didn't read my first post, so I don't know why I am reiterating, but here it is.

As I stated before, the sentence states to follow the moving assault model rules. The assault rules do not allow you to engage an enemy model from another unit until you fulfill all the conditions for moving your models.
    This is wrong. The rules under the "Moving Assaulting Models" clearly do allow you to engage ANY enemy model from any unit in range after you have engaged the original target with the closest to closest model.

We know this because the rules describing the movement of the first model clearly state "Move the model into contact with the nearest enemy model in the unit being assaulted"

This is the last time they mention the enemy unit in the rules under the heading of "Moving Assaulting Models". Every other time movement is being described, they use only the term "Enemy Model".

Librarian

Interesting thing, page 41 'small rule book' diagram of multi combat at bottom of page would be impossible under Tynskel's version of the rules.
    "I Have Become Death the Destroyer of Worlds"

Thats true Morgan, but we don't really know the whole story with that picture so I am a little hesitant to use it as ammunition.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast