BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default "fun" in the 40k universe

So, what would the people of the 40k universe do for fun. Does marbo play pingpong, is vect a connoisseur of wine and is old one eye the socialite of the tyranid race?
    What do you guys think?
    Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Vwap! Fry half a city with this puppy.

Adeptus Custodes

Perhaps the most well documente race for this is dark eldar- pretty sadistic stuff with an emphasis on gladitorial combat

Orks- WAAGH! nuff said

Humans, pretty much everything you can imagine- references to regicide (chess) and a game called scrumball, But pretty much every aspect of modern culture- music, plays, parades, games anything you can think of and more.
    More Necromunda please.

Of course they had fun. There is a tendency to take the 'there is only war' stuff a bit too literally. Even people at constant war have to let off steam, and they always find ways to do so. What kind of fun they had is only vaguely alluded to. While I'm sure commissars didn't put on toppers and tell lewd jokes while riding a unicycle with a midget doing a handstand on the handlebaar, I'm sure the guardsmen were busy with a little illicit drinking, gambling, hitting on anything even vaguely female in the vicinity etc.

Space Marines, not so much obviously.

Tyranids, come on, how could they not have fun with that many orifices and appendages.

Dark Eldar, self evident.

Eldar, all very 'high brow' but they still had a good time (read PotW)

Orks, as mentioned already, war is their cocaine.

Necrons, well maybe not, though perhaps they appreciate a good oiling.

Tau, probably sit in circles singing songs and braiding flowers or whatever space bolsheviks do for fun.

SoB, like an all girls school with guns and vehicles with engine vibrations conveniently shaped like giant benches.

etc.
    Last edited by eldargal; 03-01-2011 at 06:39 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Shas'o

Oh damn Eldargal you have struck my funny bone with what you said about the tyranids and SoB. Bravo!
    When you do something right people wont be sure that you've done anything at all.

Chapter-Master

Despite what the fluff says, it only covers a small portion of the Imperium. Most of man probably do not even know there is any wars going on. Earth could be in the 40k universe and we wouldn't even know it. That means people could do anything for fun.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Chapter-Master

I know in Titanicus they go to a bar and get blind drunk...
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Drinking, Lho sticks, gambling, shagging, gladiatorial games, art, pinball, hunting - basically they do all the shizz that we do.
    Eldar take it to pretty new extremes - if they haven't cried their eyes out or haven't incandesced with rage or had some other extreme emotional response, the performance they've seen will probably be a damp squib. So that's Die Hard 3.0 out.
    But who are the ultimate funsters? Is it Slaanesh or Dark Eldar? Sure as hell ain't the Blood Angels...what about Nurgle? He and his followers always seem pretty cheerful, and they have a broad hobby in spores, moulds and fungus, alongside virus, bacteria and other contagion. There are a few Khorne guys who collect skulls, like Kheradruakh the Mandrake.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Unzuul the Lascivious View Post
    But who are the ultimate funsters? Is it Slaanesh or Dark Eldar? .
    Depends on your preferences. If you're harboring a secret desire for BDSM and Torture go with the pointy eared ones.

If you prefer just regular sodomy and buggery go with Slanesh...
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Shas'o

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    Depends on your preferences. If you're harboring a secret desire for BDSM and Torture go with the pointy eared ones.

If you prefer just regular sodomy and buggery go with Slanesh...
    hmmm... what to choose....
    When you do something right people wont be sure that you've done anything at all.

Librarian

According to my mate John, who's ex-Army (and served a good ten years), the Ghurkhas like Volleyball. Like, really like Volleyball. Like Serious Business that-was-our-point-no-it-wasn't-you-fancy-a-knife-in-the-eye? like it. So IG probably Volleyball. That and war crimes. I can see the IG committing a lot of war crimes for fun. I could easily see the Commisarat running a "Joy Division" of "conscripted" local girls and women (because let's be fair; the Imperium is about as misogynistic a place as could be imagined). The IG would be a mix of the totally mundane (Volleyball, Football, Cards, EmperorBox 360) and everyday mixing with the abject worst of humanity; Chaos daemons have nothing on a group of drunken soldiers with a woman and everyone else on camp looking the other way.

A lot of the Ecclesiarchy probably have their sex-drives hardwired into the guilt part of the brain, so I imagine sadomasochism is pretty big in the Imperium (the number of people in gimp masks only confirms this). Lots of self-flagellation and self-harm, especially in the Sororitas.

I always saw marines as being like Samurai: artists on their off days, writing haiku poetry, flower arranging, and the like - some sort of ascetic art form that takes true gentleness to master - largely because they're monks more than squaddies. In the case of Blood Angels, sculpture. Space Wolves, drinking and swiving. Black Templars, bible studies. Dark Angels, simmering homoeroticism (as well as late night japery when "tired" battle-brothers "accidentally" get into the wrong bunk...)

Orks are never really off the battlefield, so I think their downtime constitutes a really thrilling bowel movement.

Eldar, probably like Marines, just with bigger hair.

Chaos, like orks, only Tzeench does it in bright purple and blue light; Khorne gushes out a torrent of foul-smeling blood; Nurgle does it, follows through, and accidentally pushes out their own intestines; while Slaanesh does it on someone else.

Dark Eldar like the Ecclesiarchy, just with bigger hair.

Tyranids nom nom nom nom nom...
    Last edited by MaltonNecromancer; 03-01-2011 at 10:35 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast