BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intense Players

Chaplain

Default Intense Players

I'm not the best player out there and I'm definitly not gonna say I'm a veteran but I've been playing roughly a year now and no matter where I play theres always a group that well their kinda like old crotchity war vets who just sit there and complain about the new rules vs old rules. It's soooo annoying I was playing a game against eldar and I lost bad but I had to sit through and entire game reveiw of what would have happened in Rogue Trader etc. oh and the Faith points my god I hate people and their Faith point whining AFTER they beat me into paste with their shiny Descent of Angel Vangaurd Squads, Trygons and Imperial Guard orders it's retarded you just want to shake people and scream it's a game not a life and death situation. Fortunately where I play now I managed to find a group of guys who play fun games and play every type of army (Imperial, xenos etc.) so their pretty fair about the armies they don't complain. Even had one guy point out everything he thought was over powered in his own army, anyways my point these days it's seems most vets are overly bitter and it's kinda difficult for us newer players to deal with and be fair they have no reason to direct their anger at other players. Not trying to insult anyone by the one just a observation I've made over the last few weeks.
    Battle Sisters Record 2012 2/0/0
    Empire Record 2012 1/0/3

Yeah I can agree with you. Luckily for me, I haven't played anyone like that, but I have seen some of them. It's a plastic toy soldier game. I just find it funny how people have to "win" playing plastic toy soliders.

Yeah there can be some dicks out there when you play, pretty sad, but there is a lot of good ones out there as well.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

The Dark Mechanic

There are a small number of people out there that love second edition and can't let it go. Personally, I've been in 40K since Rogue Trader and have enjoyed the streamlining process it's seen over the years. It plays much smoother and faster paced than ever before now. Fortunately, my "40K vet" friends feel the same way.

I spend a lot of time at my local GW store and several times during the past few months new faces have walked in and stated that they used to play 40K, hadn't played in many years, were thinking of getting back into it, and wanted to know what it was like. Usually people just nod with interest when the store operator briefs them on the current version, but once in a while you get someone who responds to every bit of information with, "well it used to be like this" and "it used to be like that" and as soon as you hear that you want to run the other way because it always goes down the path of how 2nd edition was better and the newer versions since then have "dumbed it down". We then have a good laugh about it after the nuisance leaves, but while it's going on it makes you want to pull your own head off just to escape the endless litany of comments about how much better 40K used to be. LOL.
    Last edited by Brass Scorpion; 03-01-2011 at 03:04 PM.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Veteran-Sergeant

Unfortunately some people are old and bitter about every aspect of there lives, fortunately at my LGC people are fun to play with and chat, I have yet to meet a beardy,bitter and bland gamer. Just find a different club to go to if you get sick of people saying "In the good old days of rogue trader"

I'm not trying to offend old skool gamers. "back in the day" was better in some cases. Kids weren't as arrogant, space raiders where 10p but 5th edition is as good as or better in my opinion. RT was random. It was the foundations of the game most of us love. But this is now and I don't think GW will be going back.
    Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Vwap! Fry half a city with this puppy.

Chapter-Master

I was one of those guys who swore by 2nd edition for a decade.

Then 5th edition came along. The. Best. Edition. Ever. Overall.

As far as old farts touting their times 'back in the day', just deal with it. I am 31 years old, and I was 20 at one time too. Trust me, as you get older, you'll be like that before you know it.

"Back in my day, in 5th edition...."

You'll see. Save this thread and open it up in 15 years.

Yeah it can be annoying, but I think most of it is harmless ignorance. Old farts just wanting to relive their youths through tales. It is just human nature.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Chapter-Master

I hate youngsters in 40k. They start off 8-12 years old, and think the gaming area is a playground. They run around, their chubby little elbows clipping miniatures and dashing them to the ground. If they have a parent other than Satan, the parent controls them like a Nicaraguan death Squad boss. They then start to pick up and manhandle 8 hour paint jobs on your special characters without asking. They have inane conversations that go like this:

“Why have you charged 5 sphess muhrines with that 1 dude?”
    “Well, he’s Kharne the Betrayer, a frothing looney and...”
    (interrupting in a voice like Nelson off the Simpsons) “haha he’s going to get his arse kicked”

Then they reach 12-15, and get hormones. They start to smell what Dr Venkmann may describe as ‘kinda funky’. Greasy hair at length more appropriate to girls becomes the norm, as does pathetic straggly facial hair. Also long ankle length PVC coats and boots big enough to belong to Abby off NCIS. They get tetchy when Ahriman, a Lash Prince, 3 half built Tzeentch terminators, 9 obliterators, and a half painted vindicator fails to dent a perfecly balanced IG army that a Vet has had in the making for 15+ years. They start to threaten their group that they will turn to Warmacheeen or even Magic, but somehow never do.

At 15, if Mummy has not sold all of little Timmy’s toys on Ebay because he seems to have stopped regularly daubing them with 18 shades of brown, they start to denigrate anybody with fond memories of yesteryear. They pass many comments about previous editions of the game, commenting on how old, slow and full of extraneous rules they were, even though they never played these editions. Any non 5th Edition codex is scorned, they have a random set of powered armoured individuals who, as the infamous Blood Knight Wolf Salamander fisters of multiple fanfic fame, double as whatever cookie cutter list seems to be top of tuh internetz.

PS for those with no sense of irony this is the other side of the sweeping generalisation coin.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

I have been playing for about ten years now and never knew the early days of 40k. I started at the tail end of 3rd edition and have enjoyed each edition after more and more. However after working at a GW store for about a year I have heard all of it and I cant agree more. I would here 30 year old adolescent basement dwellers or bitter 40 year old virgins drone on and on about RT and 2nd edition. GET OVER IT! the past is in the the past. cut your hair, use soap, get a real job. I am definatly obsessed with this game but there are other things in life besides Warhammer and video games. Like girls and outdoor activities. both can be extremely fun to be around. Apologies if I offend anyone I am just sick of hearing about it and attempting to be funny. Things grow and evolve. You dont hear people saying" Hey , Pong was an awesome game I hope they bring it back" do you?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Brother Hellstrom View Post
    You dont hear people saying" Hey , Pong was an awesome game I hope they bring it back" do you?
    Apparently...

[URL="http://www.falstad.com/pong/"]PONG[/URL]
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Chaplain

I wasn't looking to offend anyone just wanted to see how people, plus I'm most definitly not 12-15 more like 20. I get the youths part as well but fortunately I haven't dealt with any yet, so if anyone is offended I apologize.
    Battle Sisters Record 2012 2/0/0
    Empire Record 2012 1/0/3

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    I hate youngsters in 40k. They start off 8-12 years old, and think the gaming area is a playground. They run around, their chubby little elbows clipping miniatures and dashing them to the ground. If they have a parent other than Satan, the parent controls them like a Nicaraguan death Squad boss. They then start to pick up and manhandle 8 hour paint jobs on your special characters without asking. They have inane conversations that go like this:

“Why have you charged 5 sphess muhrines with that 1 dude?”
    “Well, he’s Kharne the Betrayer, a frothing looney and...”
    (interrupting in a voice like Nelson off the Simpsons) “haha he’s going to get his arse kicked”

Then they reach 12-15, and get hormones. They start to smell what Dr Venkmann may describe as ‘kinda funky’. Greasy hair at length more appropriate to girls becomes the norm, as does pathetic straggly facial hair. Also long ankle length PVC coats and boots big enough to belong to Abby off NCIS. They get tetchy when Ahriman, a Lash Prince, 3 half built Tzeentch terminators, 9 obliterators, and a half painted vindicator fails to dent a perfecly balanced IG army that a Vet has had in the making for 15+ years. They start to threaten their group that they will turn to Warmacheeen or even Magic, but somehow never do.

At 15, if Mummy has not sold all of little Timmy’s toys on Ebay because he seems to have stopped regularly daubing them with 18 shades of brown, they start to denigrate anybody with fond memories of yesteryear. They pass many comments about previous editions of the game, commenting on how old, slow and full of extraneous rules they were, even though they never played these editions. Any non 5th Edition codex is scorned, they have a random set of powered armoured individuals who, as the infamous Blood Knight Wolf Salamander fisters of multiple fanfic fame, double as whatever cookie cutter list seems to be top of tuh internetz.

PS for those with no sense of irony this is the other side of the sweeping generalisation coin.
    +1

Edit: Since one of our mods is apparently hyper sensitive:

Denzark, I agree with absolutely everything you said. It appears I need to type more than two characters to represent this without being called to carpet.
    Last edited by scadugenga; 03-02-2011 at 09:23 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast