BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2 rules questions: AP and Str

2 Questions from some newbs:

A.) How does Armor Save work against AP weapons, if the AP is the same as the armor save they don't get it, or they do? ie AP3 weapon against a standard Marine with 3+ save, do they get the save or not?
    B.) How does the rules for Strength work in regards to denying armor saves, do they have to have more Str then the targets Armor save? ie If model A has Str4 and model B has armor save 3+ do they get the save?

Sorry, I know these are low lvl questions. A friend of mine and I are trying to figure the game out, sometimes its not easy.

Thank you for your time.

A. No armor save.
    B. in WH40k Strength and Armor Save do not effect each other.

What is the rule about Str and instant death? I know there is something in the rules about Str affecting wounds and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by theirontower View Post
    What is the rule about Str and instant death? I know there is something in the rules about Str affecting wounds and whatnot.
    A weapon with strength twice or higher than the target's toughness will inflict instant death, regardless of the target's remaining wounds. So A S8 AP- weapon can inflict instant death on a SM Librarian (which has T4), but only if the librarian fails his save.

A. if the Str of the attack(whether by gun or close combat) is double your toughness you dont get a armor save
    B. If the AP of the gun is equal to or lower than your armor save you dont get a armor save

in either situation Invulnerable or Cover save can be taken unless the weapon negates cover ie flamer or ordanance

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by theirontower View Post
    2 Questions from some newbs:

A.) How does Armor Save work against AP weapons, if the AP is the same as the armor save they don't get it, or they do? ie AP3 weapon against a standard Marine with 3+ save, do they get the save or not?
    B.) How does the rules for Strength work in regards to denying armor saves, do they have to have more Str then the targets Armor save? ie If model A has Str4 and model B has armor save 3+ do they get the save?

Sorry, I know these are low lvl questions. A friend of mine and I are trying to figure the game out, sometimes its not easy.

Thank you for your time.
    Some people in here have actually given you the wrong information...

A) Your assertion is 100% correct. You are playing that right.

B) Strength has NOTHING to do with Armor Save. The only aspect of a shooting weapon that ignores armor saves is it's AP value. In close combat, weapons either Ignore Saves (power weapons/Monstrous Creatures/and a few rare others) or allow saves (just about everything else). There is rarely middle ground here. Weapons will tell you if they are power weapons or not.

If a Marine with a 3+ save (toughness 4 of course) gets hit with a Strength 10 weapon with an AP of 4,5,6 or -, the marine will still get his 3+ save.

If a Marine with a 3+ save (toughness 4 of course) gets hit with a Strength 2 weapon with an AP of 3,2, or 1, the marine will not get his armor save.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Chapter-Master

And if a Marine gets hit with a Str 8 Ap 4 shot, he still gets his 3+ armor.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Brother Hellstrom View Post
    A. if the Str of the attack(whether by gun or close combat) is double your toughness you dont get a armor save
    B. If the AP of the gun is equal to or lower than your armor save you dont get a armor save

in either situation Invulnerable or Cover save can be taken unless the weapon negates cover ie flamer or ordanance
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. First off, Instant Death does not equal ignoring armor saves. If the strength of the attack is double the models toughness value or higher, then the model is removed regardless of its remaining wounds if and only if it also fails any save it is allowed. This includes its armor save so long as the AP of the weapon allows said save.

Second, ordinance does NOT cause a weapon to ignore cover. Even ordinance barrage doesn't flat out ignore cover, it just changes where cover is checked from. There are two reasons a shooting attack will ignore cover: 1. It uses the flame template, or 2. It explicitly states that it ignores cover.
    "You look at all this gunline and think: 'I could assault with this!'"
    "D*** it, Sam! Stop counting to such high numbers!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Second, ordinance does NOT cause a weapon to ignore cover. Even ordinance barrage doesn't flat out ignore cover, it just changes where cover is checked from. There are two reasons a shooting attack will ignore cover: 1. It uses the flame template, or 2. It explicitly states that it ignores cover.
    And Ordnance doesn't either.

Chaplain

These simple questions is why most people read the rule book

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast