BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Obscure Rules?

Librarian

Default Obscure Rules?

So I went to a different store than usual the other weekend to game. A couple of rules came up that the both of us had always taken for granted or never come across. It was a fun game, but some of the things that came up were so strange I decided to take an in depth look into the rule book just to be sure for next time. So here's some stuff that I didn't know before that is obscure enough I thought I'd share:

• Poisoned weapons - always wound on a fixed interval (4+/2+/etc.) You do not have the option of using your base strength. However if the wielder of the poisoned weapon has a strength equal to or greater than the toughness of your opponent you get to re-roll failed rolls to wound.
    • Squads falling back that get assaulted must immediately test to regroup and if failed they are destroyed.
    • Squads testing to regroup do so during the movement phase. Squads passing a regrouping test may move up to 3" unaffected by difficult terrain. It cannot move in the movement phase, but can run, shoot, or launch assaults.
    • Artillery - cannot run, ever.
    • Beasts and Cavalry - double the distance rolled when assaulting through difficult terrain.
    • Ordinance - if choosing to fire the ordinance weapon your tank forgoes shooting any other weapon, even if stationary. They roll 2D6 for armor penetration and pick the highest.
    • Blast Weapons - halve their strength when rolling for armor penetration rolls if the center hole of the blast template is not in contact with the hull of the vehicle.
    • Vehicle Squads - treated any immobilized roll as wrecked (even if you aren't moving!) and any stunned result as shaken till 1 tank remains in the squad.
    • Both shaken and stunned results mean that passengers may not shoot from the vehicle in the next turn.
    • Skimmers - receive a 4+ cover save when moving flat out. Skimmers moving flat out that suffer an immobilized result treat it as wrecked instead. Skimmers remaining stationary, or moving at combat or cruising speed (up to 12") are immobilized as normal.
    • Immobilized walkers fight normally in assault with -1 attack. Shaken and stunned results have no effect in close combat. Units using grenades when assaulting a walker only hit on a 6+. When the walker becomes immobilized, they roll to hit with grenades using the WS chart.
    Last edited by eagleboy7259; 03-05-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by eagleboy7259 View Post
    [*]Beasts and Cavalry - double the distance rolled when assaulting through difficult terrain.

did not know this, thank you for the information that's which point
    [*]Both shaken and stunned results mean that passengers may not shoot from the vehicle in the next turn.

if the vehicle suffers a shaken and stirred result in addition to a wrecked/destroyed and the models are forced to disembark do they still suffer from this penalty? I know there's a pinning test, but are the deployed models still suffering from the shaken and stirred result?
    [*]Immobilized walkers fight normally in assault with -1 attack. Shaken and stunned results have no effect in close combat. Units using grenades when assaulting a walker only hit on a 6+. When the walker becomes immobilized, they roll to hit with grenades using the WS chart.[/LIST]
    grenades on a 6+ only huh? I screwed that one up! Thanks for the heads up!
    You scare me, wolf-brothers. You scare EVERYTHING.-Ahmad Ibn Rustah, skjald of Tra http://grayhartswarclown.blogspot.com/

Librarian

[*]Both shaken and stunned results mean that passengers may not shoot from the vehicle in the next turn.

if the vehicle suffers a shaken and stirred result in addition to a wrecked/destroyed and the models are forced to disembark do they still suffer from this penalty? I know there's a pinning test, but are the deployed models still suffering from the shaken and stirred result?
    Shaken and stirred only effects the troops while inside the vehicle. If they disembark or are foreced to disembark during the opponents turn then there is no disadvantage in terms of moving, shooting or launching assaults.

Chapter-Master

Another obscure one that people seem to forget;

Pg 62, left column, bottom paragraph;

It may rarely happen that the firing unit cannot see any part of the facing they are in (front, side or rear), but they can still see another facing of the target vehicle. In this case they may take the shot against the facing may can see, but to represent such an extremely angled shot, the vehicle receives a 3+ cover save.

This can actually be fairly easy to do, with the right amount of terrain, and can make your opponant waste some/all of their long range firepower against a target they aren't going to hurt. Doesn't work so well against melta though lol
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by SotonShades View Post
    Another obscure one that people seem to forget;

Pg 62, left column, bottom paragraph;

It may rarely happen that the firing unit cannot see any part of the facing they are in (front, side or rear), but they can still see another facing of the target vehicle. In this case they may take the shot against the facing may can see, but to represent such an extremely angled shot, the vehicle receives a 3+ cover save.

This can actually be fairly easy to do, with the right amount of terrain, and can make your opponant waste some/all of their long range firepower against a target they aren't going to hurt. Doesn't work so well against melta though lol
    Yeah, I used to play this one wrong. The whole thing about getting a 4+ obscured save is done against the facing you DO see. Giving a rhino a 3+ save isn't that hard.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eagleboy7259 View Post
    Immobilized walkers fight normally in assault with -1 attack. Shaken and stunned results have no effect in close combat. Units using grenades when assaulting a walker only hit on a 6+. When the walker becomes immobilized, they roll to hit with grenades using the WS chart.
    Incorrect... This is how you do it...

Immobilized and Stunned walkers fight normally in assault, but with -1 attack regardless of the amount of Immobilized and/or Stunned results they have. Shaken results have no effect in close combat. Units using grenades when assaulting a walker only hit on a 6+. If a Walker was Immobilized and/or Stunned at the start of combat, attackers roll to hit with grenades using the WS chart.

So... Keep in mind....

Being stun does affect walkers in close combat.

A Walker with an Immobilized and a Stunned result only gets a 1- Attack.

If you Immobilize or Stun a Walker at Initiative step 4, your Initiative 3 Grenades still need to roll a 6 to hit.
    Last edited by BuFFo; 03-06-2011 at 08:01 AM.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Chaplain

If you fire indirectly, you cannot have moved is one that people seem to never know.
    "Nuh Uhn" is the valid counter argument to "Uhn Huh," which was the entire Affirmative case presented. -JWolf

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post
    Incorrect... This is how you do it...

Immobilized and Stunned walkers fight normally in assault, but with -1 attack regardless of the amount of Immobilized and/or Stunned results they have. Shaken results have no effect in close combat. Units using grenades when assaulting a walker only hit on a 6+. If a Walker was Immobilized and/or Stunned at the start of combat, attackers roll to hit with grenades using the WS chart.

So... Keep in mind....

Being stun does affect walkers in close combat.

A Walker with an Immobilized and a Stunned result only gets a 1- Attack.

If you Immobilize or Stun a Walker at Initiative step 4, your Initiative 3 Grenades still need to roll a 6 to hit.
    Thanks for the clear up Buffo!

I can't tell you how many times people act dumbfounded when I put a Soul Grinder on the table. They either assume its a monstrous creature and try to fire small arms at it or they have no idea how a walker acts in close combat.

Veteran-Sergeant

Eagle boy, SS, Buffo

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't been playing long, and clarifications like this are helpful.

I don't play any walkers myself, so not too sure on the rules. I have a basic idea but nothing specific like what we were discussing.

Keep on passing that knowledge!
    You scare me, wolf-brothers. You scare EVERYTHING.-Ahmad Ibn Rustah, skjald of Tra http://grayhartswarclown.blogspot.com/

I'm surprised I actually knew these! The poisoned weapons one I have used in quite a few games.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast