BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default Speculation on Blood Angels

This is my third attempt at writing this, so I'll cull it down to the basics incase, for whatever reason, my browser decides to SNAFU again.

Looking at the upcoming space wolf codex has me quite excited, and I'm enjoying seeing all the new toys and bits coming forth in the newest (and long overdue) incarnation of the Space Wolfs rules.

This has me wondering what might happen with the future of the Blood Angels, and I thought I'd list some of my own speculation in an effort to see what others thought, or wanted to add. Some of these are blind hope, I'll go ahead and warn you.

- Contuinuation of the up-cost of units to pay for death company. I agree with how it's being done now, and think it should remain this way.

- Maintaining the use of buying squads in 5 or 10 man squads, and only allowing access to heavy/special weapons if 10 models are purchased. I love the concept of Combat Squads.

- Scout Squads becoming both an Elite, and a Troops choice, with the elite versions costing more and having more options (Meltabombs, the ability to re-roll an outflank roll perhaps) To represent the blood angel scouts being both initiate marines, as well as veteran close combat marines who prefer to sneak rather than fly.

- Continuation of the use of assault marines as troops. I personally don't like this little rules change, but also feel it's appropriate at the same time. I like tactical squads though, so I suppose that's partially my bias.

- Veteran Assault Squads becoming something akin to Vanguard, but perhaps with more options or slightly tweaked rules (Furious charge?)

- Sternguard present in the codex? Not sure on that one.

- Furioso Dreadnoughts becoming AV 13, gaining some iron clad-esque upgrades perhaps? Also gain the ability to become Death Company Dreads. No Venerable Death Company Dreads though, tha'd be nutty.

- New Blood Angels only Land Raider variant with all assault cannons? Pure speculation/wishful thinking on that front.

- Characters! What will be done with them? Logan Grimnar seems to be becoming a master tactician akin to Creed, so what does this bode for Dante, the oldest living space marine outside of a Dreadnought? No telling how many battles he's witnessed, fought in and led. Mephiston will probably remain a monster, hopefully with some form of invulnerable save now (Maybe..) and a slew of new psyker powers. Corbulo will hopefully remain a support character as he is now, giving an area effect bonus to squads around him. What else might we expect on this front?

- Death Company remaining as they are I expect. They're mighty killy in their present form.

- Overcharged engines remaining, probably working as they do now. I like their unpredictability and think they finally did them right in the PDF codex out now. Also like that the Baal pred has them, hope that remains that way.

That's all I've got for now. Anyone else have any thoughts they'd like to share? I'd love to hear what people have to say on this front.

Thanks for reading and/or replying in advance! Take care everyone.

-Red__Thirst-

Chapter-Master

Agreed on most of your points.

First, both Dante AND Mephiston need to have Eternal Warrior, not just an invuln save (though that would be nice). Dante is the oldest living SM that we know of, and Mephiston survived for a week buried underground in the throws of the red thirst....please, these two are not going quietly.

I think the BAs need to have assault marines as an option for troops choice. It only makes sense. If you have to pair them with a character to do so, fine, but it needs to happen.

Furiouso Dred just needs to come out in plastic. They have the bits not with the IC. release the damned thing already.

I agree with some of your points...#1 thing is the BA's need to be brought in line with the SM book, and then add in extras for the death company and such. But i think every marine army needs to have this happen.

as for giving dante and mephiston eternal warrior, while i agree that in their fluff it makes sense, you wouldn't want to see that ability handed out willy nilly

Chaplain

I speculate they will get their own printed codex again and that the new Space Hulk terminators will be released in a kit to usher it in.

http://pitoftheoni.blogspot.com

Scout

I actually really like the new Blood Angels codex. Sure, it was very limited compared to other Space Marines, but it was full of cool options. EXPENSIVE options, but cool none the less. Dark Angels let you run Death Wing, Black Templars let you run horde Marines, and Codex Marines let you run everything in between. What I love about the Blood Angels is the Death Company, Veteran Assault Marines, and Assault Marines as troops. Using the Codex, you can do an entirely air born Space Marine force.

Sure, it is a one trick pony, but man, what a fun pony to ride.

Brother-Sergeant

After seeing the SH Termies, I'm excited to see what a new plastic Death Company kit might look like.

Scout

I like some of the things with the PDF BA codex...what really needs to happen is an update in points costs. BA models are terribly expensive points-wise. I know it includes the cost for DC...but even with that it is still over-costed. Also they need to bring the wargear in line with the current space marine codex. Mephiston either needs an invuln save or eternal warrior...not both.

I'd personally be pretty happy with C:SM + death company, RAS troops, and Jump Command Squads perhaps through special character purchases (ie Lemartes == DC, and JP Captain == Jump troops and Jump command squad). Moving Vanguard to Elites to reflect VAS is a possibility too

I would just like a new codex, the white dwarf is alright, but its not holding up at all to the newer books.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
    I would just like a new codex, the white dwarf is alright, but its not holding up at all to the newer books.
    I think that could be said for any codex (book or otherwise) that hasn't been re-released especially for 5th ed.

I'm hoping that the BA rules get tightened up in a new book, and that some of the consistancy and power that seems to be in the new codexes gets inserted ... without completely gutting the fluff and uinqueness that makes BA a theme army to choose. DA seems to be worse off in that respect every new codex, one can only hope their new codes (some century) gives back some of the lost luster.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast