BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Yeah, exchange rates can suck sometimes.

Incidentally, here's an exerpt from that FIFN:

GW prices rising by 5-6% per year? Surely you didn’t just make that up did you? ~oh snap, the gauntlet has been thrown

To take one example. The Grey Hunters pack was first released 18 years ago and at the time cost £12.99. The modern equivalent is the Space Wolves Pack boxed set which costs £23. If you work it out that would represent a year on year price rise of 3.2% ~and tada we have the US rate of inflation. Hold on let me look something up…… and well I can’t find the data, but it looks like UK inflation since 1750 has floated mostly from 2-3 percent, so we’ve got about the same rate. Add in increasing materials costs and it looks like GW is actually giving us a discount. Woohoo! for the last 18 years.

Don’t just make up numbers off the top of your head and spew them out as misguided fact. ~words to live by
    Last edited by DarkLink; 03-10-2011 at 04:11 PM.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

The Dark Mechanic

Just for the record, the increase on Orc Warriors last week was 57%. They went from 19 models for $35 to 10 models for $29 US.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

First-Captain

They did the same thing to the IG Cadian box.

Used to be $35.00 for 20.

Now it's $24.75 for 10.

Now the nice thing about the new GK PA and Term boxes is they give you all the bits. Something they used to never do.

However, on the downside, you have GW continuing to price their product based on the value added to the game, and not the cost required to produce.

Which is still, and perhaps will forever be, one of GW's big failing points.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by RedWidow View Post
    Start playing at smaller points level...the idea that you have to go buy 2000+ points the day you start the army is (however common) not truth. Most will argue that the game is not fun at 500 points (I disagree) but 750 points is actually a fun and relatively quick game.

I am excited to star them. I just want to build and paint a dreadknight!
    I can totally agree with that. I love 750-1200pt games. Sometimes on a 4x4 table. It also seems less daunting to paint up models in 500-700 point chunks. Just pace yourself and use counts as to play till you get geared up. I also fund newer purchases by selling off old under-used models and bitz.

Brother-Captain

The way I afford this game is I have a points based credit card with the crazy-barbarian-woman web store. I cycle all my monthly bills through it, and pay the balance off immediately (that is key - miss a payment once and you've hosed yourself for that month). Every couple of months I use my points to get a $25 gift coupon. Eventually I have enough to purchase whatever gaming supplies I want. Granted, it is a slow process, but it's the one and only way I could justify paying the grossly bloated prices GW demands (and trust me, as someone who's collected miniatures for almost 30 years, they ARE grossly bloated prices).

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Necron2.0 View Post
    ... but it's the one and only way I could justify paying the grossly bloated prices GW demands (and trust me, as someone who's collected miniatures for almost 30 years, they ARE grossly bloated prices).

Very true, I just used to collect models to paint alone (still not that good) but when I can buy a decent looking white metal model for $5, and the GW equivelent(sp, sorry not fire fox at work ) is $15+ U.S. ... Just not right.

Chaplain

I'll be collecting three dreadknights and will corrupting them to chaos for my 57th Host as count-as Defilers. Will be combining the torso with a defiler one as the terminator looks stupid just dangling there. that will cost me £99
    Last edited by The Madman; 03-12-2011 at 11:13 AM.
    Step forth and be recognized.
    No mercy. No pity. No hope.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Madman View Post
    I'll be collecting three dreadknights and will corrupting them to chaos for my 54th Host as count-as Defilers. Will be combining the torso with a defiler one as the terminator looks stupid just dangling there. that will cost me £99

your username is fitting :P 3 dredknights (£99)+3 defilers (105) an eldar titan is cheaper than that ! :P
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzbuket View Post
    your username is fitting :P 3 dredknights (£99)+3 defilers (105) an eldar titan is cheaper than that ! :P
    ah, but i got the defilers cheap from other players, two for £15 each and another for £12 so just over the price of a single new one.

also being a dedicated servent of the Ruinous powers does loosen the chains of sanity quite a bit.
    Step forth and be recognized.
    No mercy. No pity. No hope.

Veteran-Sergeant

And if GW was to lower their prices, and go out of buisness, we would all lose. They have been around for decades, and their business model seems to work. Why the hate? How many armies do you need? Too expensive, play hordes or warmaachine, and see how their prices are IF they around in ten years. a good business makes money, if it doesn't it closes, and we will have to go back to playing with little green army men. Uncool!
    You scare me, wolf-brothers. You scare EVERYTHING.-Ahmad Ibn Rustah, skjald of Tra http://grayhartswarclown.blogspot.com/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast