BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Question Necrons question and 2k list

I just have a quick question for Necron players. Is anyone having any luck playing flayed ones? Does outflank make them a viable unit? I love their fluff and am thinking about running 3 big units of them...I was thinking

HQ:
    Necron Lord w/destroyer body, warscythe, res orb

Elite:
    9 flayed ones
    9 flayed ones
    9 flayed ones

Troops:
    10 warriors
    10 warriors
    10 warriors
    10 warriors

Fast Attack:
    5 destroyers
    5 scarab swarms
    5 scarab swarms

Heavy:
    Monolith

1996 points

The general idea would be to use the destroyers and warriors as an advancing gun line (leap frogging units), use the scarabs as interference units to hold up assault units until the flayed ones can arrive from reserves/outflank, and of course the monolith does what the monolith does.

I mostly want to hear what other Necron players have to say, but all advice and criticism is welcome as always.

[I have been running 4 flayed ones and using them to outflank. They are a sacrifice but they can contest an objective or like in my last game keep a unit from shooting at something else while they kill them in hand to hand.

Not sure if we did it right but I used them against a walker which kept its weopon from firing for a couple of turns.

Ninthplain

I am interested in seeing how this works out for you, i didnt have much luck with the flayed ones in the past but didnt have much luck with them, but i also didnt run as many as you are, so keep us posted

I've just started back up using flayed ones recently. Actually I found having a squad in with your primary phalanx doesn't hurt. Add in a Lord with Res orb, gaze of flame, and any other bit of wargear you like, and they make a decent counter charge unit (not as good as tomb spyders, but hey, we can't all be that awesome.)

As for your list. A lone squad of 5 destroyers is pretty iffy in my book past 1k or 1250 games. If you got the models try and field two squads, at least 3-4 in each, this allows a fallen squad WBB, and you can split fire of focus fire as you find the need.

Alongside this, with the amount of flayed ones you got, your CC is covered, and the scarab swarms aren't really finding a place, either take them with D-fields or find something to add to your shooting instead (dropping them for the Destroyers maybe?)

As Necron units really need to support one another, it seems risky to have the Flayed Ones outflanking, as they get stuck out on their own, however if you CAN get them a charge off, they'll really make a dent in whatever they hit. Trouble is keeping them supported. Have you tried out infiltrating those large squads and crashing two of them into an enemy's lines? Maybe I'll give outflanking them a try myself next time I play. As for deepstriking, if you've got good luck with that, go for it, otherwise it's not a great plan.

I too would recommending adding in another lord if you are going to use flayed ones, possibly with veil, that way you can start out flanked and then pull them back if you find they no longer have a purpose or if they are good where they are at you can use veil on another unit in trouble

Scout

When do you plan on playing this list? I would love to hear how it went with that many Flayed Ones.

I personally am not a fan of scarabs. I don't play crons, but a friend does and he doesn't use them when limited in points. I would suggest more anti tank because that's tough with crons these days imo.

Veteran-Sergeant

Thank you for your comment/advice. I am hoping to get my first game in with them this Sunday. I will definitely keep you guys posted on the outcome. As soon as I can get the models, I think I will try a second unit of destroyers or possibly a couple of heavy destroyers in place of the scarabs, but I do want to try the army as written also.

Brother-Captain

Flayed Ones are terrible, don't waste your money. They're just marines with 2 attacks, that doesn't kill anything. It's a shame too, the models and fluff are superb.

Grab more Destroyers and Heavy Ds (you need something to actually do damage and bust armor), lose the Suckolith.

I have fun with Flayed Ones. The only way I used them is with outflank and with Disruption Fields on them. Since they can assault the same turn they outflank, any enemy vehicles within 12" of the board edge will be taking 30 hits if they didn't move, and math says 6 of those will glance.

With a 66.6% chance of them coming on the side of the board you wan't them to, why not. It boils down to if you want to win or have fun with a chance of winning.

If you wan't to win, most people will tell you to only ever use Warriors, Destroyers and Immortals.....BORING.

Proxy them if you haven't bought them already to try them out first, see if you like them or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast