BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Chaplain

Its almost bound to be Marines of power armoured nuggets of some breed (not sisters though). Its the biggest seller GW has, and its the easiest army for new players to pick up on, who would be the ones buying the boxed set. Space Marines are *everywhere*, in books, games, and "movies".

40K differs from Fantasy in the sense that Fantasy doesn't really have "the newbie army" - in 40K most players start with marines, then break off and play a different race. So it makes sense for GW to put them in every starter set. Fantasy doesn't have one of these "newbie" races - there's no race that generally dominated by newer players, which is why they're free to cycle the races that show up in the starter set (I still have my brettonians vs lizardmen kicking around somewhere).

It'll be marines of one breed or another, I can promise you that!

Veteran-Sergeant

my moneys on eldar/SM starterbox. why would GW wait this long to bring out a dex for one of 40ks most iconic races the eldar. (space elfs) Its almost 100% that space marines will be in the box. hopefully it wont be ultrasmurfs, give a lesser known chapter a run. ala 3rd edition.
    Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Vwap! Fry half a city with this puppy.

Chapter-Master

Personally I hope for SM/Eldar (or maybe even DE given how succesful they are right now).

It almost guarentees i'l be able to swap the marines out from the boxset for double eldar goodness
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    Personally I hope for SM/Eldar (or maybe even DE given how succesful they are right now).

It almost guarentees i'l be able to swap the marines out from the boxset for double eldar goodness
    we should start pounding GW with emails......."give us eldar in the starter box you fools, give us a NON space marine codex at the start of 6th, give us price cuts".......like that would happen.

I would like something new at the start of 6th other than here's the generic space marines vs the numberless hoards of orks/nids. but they have to appeal to the throthing masses of kids who like to paint there army in "plastic gray".
    Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Vwap! Fry half a city with this puppy.

Iron Father

My hopes are SM V Crons, with plastic wraiths in the box like they did with the deff copters. I know it wont happen but you can only dream
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post
    My hopes are SM V Crons, with plastic wraiths in the box like they did with the deff copters. I know it wont happen but you can only dream
    if only.....

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Skragger View Post
    and "movies".
    !

lol this made my arfternoon!
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Quote Originally Posted by geisthammer View Post
    if only.....
    I like this idea (SM and Necrons)....you have SM (or any type of SM), which is GW's best selling, and you have Necrons which are a good starter army for painting and playing...very good for getting new players into the game.

Chapter-Master

Theres a reason the last 2 boxes have been Nids and Orks...contrast

In a box, tailored to an individual (cos lets face it they are) trying to convince someone to start an army. Black Reach, and before that Macragge gave you a look at 2 different types of armies that exist.

Hordes vs Elites
    CC vs Shooty

That contrast means new people can see what type they want to play

SM vs Eldar would be great (as i've said its what i'm hoping for) or SM vs Necrons, or Sisters vs Chaos would all be great for fans. But to a newcomer its an Elite army against an Elite army. Its a 3+ T4 army against a 3+ T4 WBB army (and if WBB DOESN'T get reduced to FNP, or phase out still exists, Necrons are too complex for a babies first 40k box).

The variety in armies types are carefully selected...
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chaplain

Know what would rock a starter set?

Imperial Guard VS Chaos.

Keeps the power armour nuggets around, but still includes one of the bigger selling lineups...
    Hi ho! Hi ho! Its off to Krump we go!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast