BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Good books

Orson Scott Card - Enders Game
    Anything from Jim butcher
    Anything from Dan Abnett
    Our lascannons shall provide illumination to the Emperors word.

Adeptus Custodes

The forgotten soldier by Guy Sajer- a great book about one man's experiences fighting for the Germans on the eastern front.

Anything by Simon R. Green
    More Necromunda please.

Veteran-Sergeant

Anything by abnett. I don't read any books other than the 40k and fantasy books. I read a lot of comics. A few suggestions are spawn origins, sin city (anything by mcfarlane and miller) watchmen, v for vendetta. I even have some crazy old terminator vs superman comics.....
    Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Vwap! Fry half a city with this puppy.

Librarian

If you're interested in comics, I have a few suggestions for self-contained works.

Most things that are creator-owned by Warren Ellis, but especially "Desolation Jones"" (whose superpower is he just doesn't care - you'd be surprised how awesome a power that is) and "Global Frequency" (with USMC Captain Richard Quinn as possibly the scariest thing I've read in comics, and he's only in it for one issue!). "Black Summer" is amazing; any comics where superheroes kill the president has to be worth a read. Fell is very good too - extremely messed up and disturbing as hell, but a very good read. I also enjoyed "No Hero", though my friends thought it was a little too gory. "Crecy" is amazing, though don't read if you don't like swearing. Seriously.

Garth Ennis' "Crossed" is superb (I'd recommend Preacher, but I'm going for self-contained books rather than series here), though it will mess you up; the levels of gore are unbelievable. "Unknown Soldier" is a particularly good piece of character work, as is "303". Both war stories, both horrible, neither has a single act of heroism (which I approve of). (As a side note, if you like ongoing series about violence and little else, I'd also recommend Ennis' second "MAX" impring run on "Punisher"; it's set in an alernative universe with no superheroes (Ennis has loudly proclaimed his hatred of them), but more bloodshed, torture and death than is entirely healthy. Absolutely not for kids.) "The Pro" is also very darkly funny (and again, not remotely for kids. Superpowered prostitutes are not the stuff of PG-13 heroics).

Alan Moore's "From Hell" is his finest work (much better than the somewhat overrated "Watchmen"), and his series "Top Ten" is totally unique (it's set in a city where everyone, from the homeless guys to the people who sell hotdogs, is a superhero. A very human and affecting work.

"The Tale of One Bad Rat" by Bryan Talbot is quite remarkable; if you're not moved by the end, something's wrong with you.

Joe Sacco's "Palestine" is an astonishing piece of real world work, and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Junji Ito's "Uzamaki" is a disturbing piece of horror; very compelling, and beautifully drawn. The author actually draws people rather than big-eyed mutants.

A few suggestions for you there. Most (if not all) are profoundly disturbing and violent, and some have explicit sexual content, so do please beware.

Adeptus Custodes

Garth ennis was mentioned above- his work is genius, but I'd work my way up to crossed. Its pretty sickening. He does have some self contained war stories or if you prefer some series try the boys or preacher
    More Necromunda please.

IMHO, a lot of the HHbooks suffer from GAS (generic alien syndrome). That's not to say they aren't good, but it's much more fun having Fulgrim face off against an avatar than some random sea creature things (the laer).

I'm also going to recommend the Ciaphas Cain books, they get a little samey but he's a great character.

Shas'o

Honestly there isn't anything too sick and disturbing that I couldn't read it. (I've been told I'm F'd up in the head)

@ Everyone. Thanks for the suggestions! A lot of these sound really intriguing even though I originally was asking about 40k books you people have thrown out some really good suggestions. Let's keep it coming for anyone out there looking for some new reading material!

Also my second favorite book is Day by Day Armageddon by J.L. Bourne he is the new master of Zombie books, and if anyone can think of someone who does it better I really want to hear it. Funny little side note for ya, I was reading the second Day by Day Armageddon when I started a Thousand Sons. I was originally just going to give it a little glance but then got sucked in by the story and I was balls deep baby!
    When you do something right people wont be sure that you've done anything at all.

Chapter-Master

You asked about for your GF/Wife.... Prospero Burns is easily the best jumping off point in terms of the Horus Heresy. My wife it about as disinterested in 40k as a human can possibly be, and I convinced her to try the first chapter of Prospero Burns. She was hooked. It's much more than 'just' a Warhammer story; it really is an anthropolgic study into a culture, and she really enjoyed that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12