BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shas'o

Default Do you know of any good books?

So I just finished reading A Thousand Sons from the Horus Heresy books and now it's my favorite book of all time! I always really liked the thousand sons and Ahriman and the book was just a joy to read and that is rare for me because I normally really don't enjoy reading and especially a book that long. It was by far the biggest book I've ever read and also the quickest I've finished a book. So I was wondering if there were any other Horus Heresy books I should give a try or was this just a freak occurrence.
    When you do something right people wont be sure that you've done anything at all.

Chapter-Master

Um... Read all the HH books. IMO, Prospero Burns, Nemesis, The First Heretic and Mechanicum are at least equal to A Thousand Sons. Honestly, I'd recommend you read all the HH books. Battle for the Abyss is the weakest of the bunch, but still a decent read.

Veteran-Sergeant

I've really enjoyed all of Dan Abnett's work for the black library. Outside of Black Library, if you are looking for an AWESOME epic read King's Dark Tower.
    You scare me, wolf-brothers. You scare EVERYTHING.-Ahmad Ibn Rustah, skjald of Tra http://grayhartswarclown.blogspot.com/

Veteran-Sergeant

If you have an e-reader then check out black libraries e-mag hammer and bolter. I'm 2/3rds through the first issue, pretty good, pretty cheap!
    You scare me, wolf-brothers. You scare EVERYTHING.-Ahmad Ibn Rustah, skjald of Tra http://grayhartswarclown.blogspot.com/

Shas'o

Prospero Burns was actually the one I was thinking of reading next, but just wanted to know if it was worth the time. I don't think I'll read all of them though because I tried reading one about the Emperors Children and didn't really care for it so I stopped reading.

Also I was telling one of my friends about A Thousand Sons and she was wanting to give it a read, but she doesn't play and she doesn't know anything about the background so should I just let her read it or should I give her some background so she has some idea of what they are talking about? and if so what kind of reading material could get her caught up? I was thinking of just letting her borrow my rule book to flip through some of the fluff before she got into a thousand sons.
    When you do something right people wont be sure that you've done anything at all.

i read most of HH books and they were decent. just finished both space wolf omnibus's both amazing! Non warhammer check out anything by RA Salvatore and another really good one is Raymond Feist. these guys are prob the best fantasy writers in the biz

Chapter-Master

Outside 40k books, anything by Brandon Sanderson (particularly his Mistborn series), anything by Matthew Stover (particularly The Acts of Caine), and anything by Jim Butcher (Codex Alera or the Dresden Files). John Scalzi (Old Man's War, Android's Dream, Agent to the Stars). I could go on for a while.

Most of these are fantasy of some sort, though, with the exception of John Scalzi's stuff. And The Acts of Cain, they're half sci-fi half fantasy. In fact, the Acts of Caine could be described as 1984 meets Conan the Barbarian.

I can back up RA Salvator. Been way too long since I've read anything by Raymond Feist.

Oh, and check out the Game of Thrones. They're turning it into an HBO series atm, but the books themselves are epic. I've never seen another author come anywhere near as close to perfectly balancing literally dozens of main viewpoint characters across a vast and intricate nation-spanning civil war, based loosely on the War of the Roses in European history, in a fantasy setting. Amazing books.

Edit: If I had to recommend only three, I'd say Mistborn, a Song of Ice and Fire from the Game of Thrones, and Heroes Die from The Acts of Caine. Those are easily three of the best books I have ever read in any genre, ever.
    Last edited by DarkLink; 03-14-2011 at 07:54 PM.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Librarian

I think it depends first on which legions that your interested in and then the author and writing style of the book. Out of the Horus Heresy books I can say that my favorites have been First Heretic, Descent of Angels and Fallen Angels. Descent of Angels was awesome (Mitchel Scanlon) the story, presentation, everything. Fallen Angels was good (Mike Lee) but his story was definately not on the same level as the first Dark Angels book, but my love of the chapter and it's fluff made it so that I couldn't put it down.

I can say that the only HH books that I haven't like have been the ones my Ben Counter. Battle for the Abyss made me want to cry. 30-ish Space Wolves and World Eaters +1 Ultramarine Captain take down the largest battleship the Imperium had seen during the Horus Heresy? Bull.

Obiviously anything by Dan Abnett and Graham McNeill are awesome

Brother-Sergeant

If we're not limiting ourselves to 40k, then the Malus Darkblade series for sure. Malus is the greatest anti-hero since Spike.

EVERY 40k player should read Starship Troopers.

Chapter-Master

Starship troopers is pretty awesome. And before someone goes on a rant about how facist they think it is, go and read Stranger in a Strange Land, too.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast