BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default My Drop Pods Give Up Kill Points?!

I have a 40K question. I've been told that my Drop Pods give my opponents Kill Points when figuring out who wins the game. Why? Also, where does it say this? I've been going over the rules and I can't find anything in the basic rule book that would back this up. Rules Gurus, your help is needed!

Brother-Sergeant

This should be in the rules forum.

Drop Pods count as a single unit that consists of (you guessed it) a single Drop Pod. Each unit gives up a single Kill Point if destroyed, even if the unit was relatively worthless.

Space Marine squads that utilize the Combat Squads rule to form two separate units each give up a KP. A more dramatic example is that the Tau Devilfish effectively count as two Kill Points due to the fact that the Gun Drone squadron built into the vehicle give up a KP as well.

Sorry... I thought I'd gone to the rules forum... I wasn't paying enough attention... thanks for the clarification...

Drop pods are a Unit. Any unit if destroyed gives up a KP. That's all there is too it.

Welcome to why KP's are a terrible victory mechanic.

KPs are good and bad.

They balance a lot of otherwise very over-powered strategies in this game. However they do favor others and introduce their own problems. Victory points do the same thing so both are just as unbalancing.
    See my blog @ http://perilsoftheblog.blogspot.com/

In our gaming group we ignore the kp for gun drones of devilfishes and piranha because it makes the game instand lose for the tau player when playing for kill points...

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey87 View Post
    In our gaming group we ignore the kp for gun drones of devilfishes and piranha because it makes the game instand lose for the tau player when playing for kill points...
    That's silly IMHO. Devilfishes can swap the drones for a Smart Missile System for a few points, and Piranhas are, well, yeah.

Brother-Captain

It's 20 points to upgrade the gun drones, which really adds up if you are running multiple transports. I just gave up on making my Tau list KP-friendly and go with a "Table or lose" strat on KP games (it's a casual list anyway). My Tau list runs 19 KP at 1500 points. 28 KP at 2000 points.

I do get a chuckle when playing new opponents with that list though. "Oh, my 2k list has 9 KP, how many do you have? . . . 0_o 28?!"

Chapter-Master

hehe
    In a kill point game you should be trying to kill your opponent rather than worrying about your opponent killing you. If a drop pod + combat squads + 2 independent characters allows you to kill more, so what if it is 5 KPs in itself.

"A man never won a war by dying for his country. A man won a war by making some other poor son of a b!tch die for their country!"-- paraphrased from General Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaktathi View Post
    Drop pods are a Unit. Any unit if destroyed gives up a KP. That's all there is too it.

Welcome to why KP's are a terrible victory mechanic.
    KP are not a terrible victory mechanic. Problem is, people don't want to make rules for KP but objective missions only. Part of 5th edtion is making an army for both and people just don't want to adapt, simple as that.

Don't want to give up a KP, don't use DP then. Same for Tyranids. Don't want to give up a KP don't spit out gaunts with the Tervigon then.

People shouldn't blame the rules for thier own ineptitude, or not willing to change. That is part of the game, make a good army for KP, it becomes harder to play with objectives, make a good army for objectives, it becomes harder for KP, and then make it for all comers, is suppose to make it interesting. Just because some people don't want to adapt, just speaks more of thier character than the rules.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast