BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Brother-Captain

The problem is that designing an army around KPs is not fun (imo). I like those small, cheap squads. They are fun to play and fun to kill.

KPs also encourage players to build lists that most people don't enjoy playing against, like land raider spam and deathstar armies.

Chapter-Master

I don't 'design' my army for objectives or kill points.
    I design my army with one function in mind: control of the board.

If I have done a good job with that, Kill Points and Objectives will fall into my lap!

Chapter-Master

Can we get some clarification on exactly where this rule comes from? I can't find it in the rulebook or FAQ and I was under the understanding that dedicated transports don't give up KP's as they are to all intents and purposes taken as part of the same unit for which they are bought, given that they don't take up any force organisation slots.

Brother-Captain

The basic rule: if it can contest an objective, it's a KP. Dedicated transports count as a KP. Created units like gaunts or chaos spawn count as a KP. An IC with an honor guard counts as 2 KPs (because the IC can leave the squad).

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    Can we get some clarification on exactly where this rule comes from? I can't find it in the rulebook or FAQ and I was under the understanding that dedicated transports don't give up KP's as they are to all intents and purposes taken as part of the same unit for which they are bought, given that they don't take up any force organisation slots.
    There are other units that don't take up FoC slots. Units are NOT defined by "taking a FoC slot", in the same way KPs are not defined by "killing something that takes up a FoC slot". Or else, the hordes of gaunts spawned by tervigons wouldn't give KPs.
    Last edited by Lemt; 03-15-2011 at 05:51 PM.

The Dark Mechanic

Page 91 of the rule book. Of all the arguments I've heard I've never heard this one from anyone in the store, casual player or even the most obnoxious power gamers, and I've overheard a lot of rules debates and arguments. I've heard the question come up occasionally, and the answer is invariably "yes" and the game goes on with those units giving up Kill Points if they are destroyed. A Drop Pod, a Rhino, a Chimera, those individual items are "units" and they count as Kill Points. Some players avoid using them in Kill Point games because of that if they know what kind of mission they are playing before they make their army list. Making a desperate stand against them counting as units and Kill Points will not get you many games, at least not repeat games.

And as has been pointed out before this most definitely belongs in the rules section of the forum.
    Last edited by Brass Scorpion; 03-15-2011 at 02:05 PM.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Brother-Sergeant

Not only do DPs count for victory points (IF THEY GET KILLED) but since they are a disabled vehicle as soon as they hit the ground they count fot HALF VICTORY POINTS! I do love me soome drop pods but damn it I hate that HALF VICTORY POINT THING!

The Dark Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
    Not only do DPs count for victory points (IF THEY GET KILLED) but since they are a disabled vehicle as soon as they hit the ground they count fot HALF VICTORY POINTS! I do love me soome drop pods but damn it I hate that HALF VICTORY POINT THING!
    There are no half Kill Points and there are no more Victory Points scenarios in the main rule book, that ended with 4th Edition. But yes, when vehicles like Rhinos were damaged they did give up Victory Points in the old scenarios that worked that way.
    Last edited by Brass Scorpion; 03-15-2011 at 02:10 PM.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    I don't 'design' my army for objectives or kill points.
    I design my army with one function in mind: control of the board.

If I have done a good job with that, Kill Points and Objectives will fall into my lap!
    Yeah, I though people had stopped complaining about this stuff a few years ago.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Yeah, I though people had stopped complaining about this stuff a few years ago.
    Us 40K players never stop complaining

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast