BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Librarian

what is it the grandmaster can do? i have heard 2 different things 1. makes d3 unts scoring. or 2. can give d3 units a USR i am more inclined to go with 1 as it's the one i hear about most.
    Last edited by Morgan Darkstar; 03-19-2011 at 09:28 AM.
    "I Have Become Death the Destroyer of Worlds"

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Darkstar View Post
    what is it the grandmaster can do? i have heard 2 different things 1. makes d3 unts scoring. or 2. can give d3 units a USR i am more inclined to go with 1 as it's the one i hear about most.
    Make units score as troops, re-roll 1s to wound, counter-attack or scouts. Always D3 units, all must be given the same bonus, and not all units are valid targets.

Librarian

I'd wait until an FAQ/Errata comes out before I say yes or no to scoring Dreadnoughts - since it says it MAKES THEM SCORING as though they were troops, not "makes them troops so they can score" or some similar rule-wording.

Also, I've been coming up with hilarious henchmen combinations, like IG in Terminator Armor (Jokaero rolling to get the Armor and Invulnerable saves to Warriors in Power Armor with Stormbolters and Power Weapons) and also, you can totally make a Counts-As Adeptus Mechanicus army with this codex. Make the Dreadknights Secutors (the Heretek hunters that are bigger than terminators and three times as nasty), take some counts-as Coteaz dude, and LOTS AND LOTS OF SERVITORS.

Also, Daemonhosts on their own may be kinda meh, but if you take 12 of them...holy crap. That's quite the potentially devastating unit - moreso than Death Cult Assassins, I'd say.

In terms of combos, after looking over the book yesterday, you were right about the Jokaero, much to my Chagrin, so 2-3 is the sweetspot. So I'd say the optimum build for for Henchmen squads is 2-3 Jokaero, 3 Melta/Plasma/Flamer Vets, a few Crusaders for the ablative wounds/3++, and a Mystic if you have deepstrikers, otherwise just fill in another Crusader. Or a bunch of Warriors with Stormbolters, it's up to you.
    Let the Galaxy burn.

I agree with waiting for the FAQ/errata.

The henchmen unit you mention is really nice. For a melee henchmen squad, I'd gor for 3 Melta Warriors, an Eviscerator Banisher, 3-5 DKAs and fill in with some Crusaders. Daemonhosts could make for a fun Traitor army, but I just don't think they are as good as other options.

Librarian

Yeah, that's why I made sure to specify POTENTIALLY devastating. Sad that their invulnerable save got nerfed after we were hearing about how they were supposed to get stronger.
    Let the Galaxy burn.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Lemt View Post
    Make units score as troops, re-roll 1s to wound, counter-attack or scouts. Always D3 units, all must be given the same bonus, and not all units are valid targets.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me. last time i was in GW the codex was being horded by a maniacal looking 16 year old gibbering away to himself so i just left it and him well alone.
    Last edited by Morgan Darkstar; 03-19-2011 at 02:29 PM.
    "I Have Become Death the Destroyer of Worlds"

Does each Temple Assassin use up an Elites selection, or is there some kind of a rule to let you take more than one as a single Elite selection?

Librarian

Each one is a single Elites choice, and you can only take one of each.
    Let the Galaxy burn.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Connjurus View Post
    I'd wait until an FAQ/Errata comes out before I say yes or no to scoring Dreadnoughts - since it says it MAKES THEM SCORING as though they were troops, not "makes them troops so they can score" or some similar rule-wording.
    Seeing as the codex explicitly states "the unit becomes scoring", there's no issue here. The Grand Master MAKES THEM SCORING, thus they become a scoring unit. Doesn't matter if they normally can't score, the Grand Master allows them to do it.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Seeing as the codex explicitly states "the unit becomes scoring", there's no issue here. The Grand Master MAKES THEM SCORING, thus they become a scoring unit. Doesn't matter if they normally can't score, the Grand Master allows them to do it.
    You're all forgetting the second part of the sentence. It says "can claim objectives as if they were troops". So they follow the normal rules for troops scoring, and vehicle troops can't score.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast