BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I hate video battle reports.

I really hate* video battle reports.

I'm quite a fast reader, in the 5-6 minutes it takes me to watch an average video battle report I could read two or three average written reports. On top of that, I don't see the point. By necessity they have to be so heavily edited you only get a basic blow by blow account anyway. Unless they have an exceptionally good camera and tripod you can hardly get a decent view of the miniatures and its always from the same, dull isometric angle. With a regular camera and a bit of effort you can get some fantastic, atmospheric battle shots.
    Then you get the potential issues with slow connections, shaky camera work, background noise etcetera. Its also much harder to slip in little fluffy descriptions of whats going on as you can with a written report. I've seen some beautiful written battle reports on blogs with dozens of well-thought out photographs, in-depth descriptions of whats going on and little snippets of fluff throughout. A real pleasure to read, I've not seen any video reports come close that providing that degree of pleasure.

On the plus side, though, I was able to hear BigReds sexy man-voice.

As a disclaimer, the above is all my opinion, I realise it is subjective and I am in no way advocating that people who enjoying producing/watching video battle reports should stop.

*Also, [URL="http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=12854"]zombies[/URL].
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

I agree. Plus them being in text with nice pictures means i can read them at work
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Some reports are OK, some not so much.
    But maybe some ideas to make them all more enjoyable:

1) army lists as part of the article
    2) maps of the "battlefield" (like the old White Dwarf ones.) Doesn't have to be pretty or even turn-to-turn
    3) give the opinion of best and worst units on each side
    4) optional: discuss the banning of the dewey decimal system*

Adding any of these could really help in the enjoyment factor.

*Sorry Eldargal but really, compared to Library of Congress system, it sucks
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

Fly Lord

The feedback is appreciated. Also take into account that video battle reports are about an order of magnitude faster to produce than full length written ones with pics.

Really they are two different things entirely. Written reports are more akin to academic case samples which allow one to deconstruct a game and see exactly when and where critical things occurred. The video reports are lighter in content, yet do give that true to life feel of what wargaming really is, a interchange between two players with all the back and forth that entails over a tabletop. It's a nice real world tether to a hobby that can often become overly cerebral on the page.

{sexy man-voice}
    Thanks for the constructive comments Eldargal. I'll see what we can do to get an occasional oldschool written format piece into the schedule now and then.
    {/sexy man-voice}
    Last edited by Bigred; 03-21-2011 at 08:53 AM.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Well, thats a very good point about social interchange, Mr Bigred, and don't think my comment was aimed primarily at BolS. Yours are the only ones I bother with anymore, no shaky camera work and annoying background noises.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Shas'o

I really love written out battle reports also, and just like eldargal said you can get so much more out of them. You can imagine the battle better as opposed to just seeing a game being played.

@ Gwensdad- Very nice suggestions

I have wanted to do a battle report of one of my games for quite a while now, but I just have too many unpainted models and I'm too ashamed.
    When you do something right people wont be sure that you've done anything at all.

Battle-Brother

I think there is a huge need for documentation of important games.

I would love to see pages and pages of reports from tourny finals.

For me though, they have to have lists, and maps/graphics.

I get no value from youtube stuff.

battle chronicler is beautiful.

For me, at least half the appeal of tabletop games is the visual appeal. While I can appreciate well-done photos of nicely-painted models, I like to see the whole of the battle. In fact, I truly enjoy watching other people play games. It's a nice way to get a gaming fix without the stress of watching your plastic dudesmen die and as such I think video battle reports are a solid substitution when I can't make it out to the FLGS. As BigRed pointed out, that social interaction and scope of the game is somewhat lost in written battle reports.

Librarian

When they are done correctly video battle reports are 100 times nicer than any written report. With the "I-go-you-go" turn system that is used in 40k, you need at least 9 pictures to correctly show deployment and each players turn phase. That's the bare minimum, without taking into consideration that it's often hard to fit action that is occuring across the entire table into a photograph that shows any of the wonderful detail that goes into some peoples models.

Then you also have to take into account the amount of effort that is going into writing the report. Are we getting some narrative? a slideshow? missspeeleings? Heck even the format of a written report is enough to turn many people off from it. Then theres the issue of clearity - can you tell which unit he's talking about, can you tell what action the unit is performing?

Quote Originally Posted by gwensdad View Post
    Some reports are OK, some not so much.
    But maybe some ideas to make them all more enjoyable:

1) army lists as part of the article
    2) maps of the "battlefield" (like the old White Dwarf ones.) Doesn't have to be pretty or even turn-to-turn
    3) give the opinion of best and worst units on each side
    4) optional: discuss the banning of the dewey decimal system*

Adding any of these could really help in the enjoyment factor.
    I think the first two would be good, easy additions. Taking a photo of the table before deployment and copy/pasting army lists are quick tasks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast