BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dipping

Veteran-Sergeant

Default Dipping

Hello,
    Im looking at trying the techinic thats called Dipping.
    I am aware of the Army painter dipping product what else do people use?

Hi

If your in the states pick up some Minwax Polyshades Satin Tudor. Ace is the only place Ive found it. Home Depot and Lowes dont have it for some reason. You'll need some mineral spirits to clean up after. Its something like $8 for a small can that will last a long time as oppsed to the army painter that is $35 for the same sized can. There are other colors of Minwax that will work depending on your tastes.

Chuck

Chapter-Master

I've personnaly yet to find a use for dipping. For me its a too haphazard technique, often resulting in paint being over thick in places or not quite getting everywhere I want it. I might be doing it wrong though.

I have however heard of people using normal GW and Vallajeo (sp?) paints thinned with proper acryllic thinners. Of course, you would usually need to use a bigger tub/pot than the ones supplied by either company, so you could incure a certain wastage of paint.
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

The Dark Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
    Hello,
    Im looking at trying the techinic thats called Dipping.
    I am aware of the Army painter dipping product what else do people use?
    Darker brown Minwax also works. I actually tried that recently for my Orks, A few years ago it would have been a massive time-saver, but thanks to the ease of use of GW's current washes I foiund that washing with Devlan Mud worked just as fast and yielded better results. Give dipping a try and see what you think. The Army Painter stuff is supposed to be pretty good and a friend of mine gave me some, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Chapter-Master

there wasa a tutorial on it in one of the astro mags ( google it) a while back

dipping is simply
    1) pain model badly in base colours
    2) dip
    3) matte varnish
    4)???
    5) profit.

be warned dipping isnt going to win any awards: its simply a 3 colour minimum + shades technique..... but the dip shades for you.
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Scorpion View Post
    Darker brown Minwax also works. I actually tried that recently for my Orks, A few years ago it would have been a massive time-saver, but thanks to the ease of use of GW's current washes I foiund that washing with Devlan Mud worked just as fast and yielded better results. Give dipping a try and see what you think. The Army Painter stuff is supposed to be pretty good and a friend of mine gave me some, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
    I have to agree with using GW washes instead of dipping, I think they give you far better control and take no time at all, with all the colours available too I stayed away from dipping once gw released these washes.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Veteran-Sergeant

if you want good results dont dip. I use GW washes and the old GW inks. Vallejo Washes are also very good.
    Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Vwap! Fry half a city with this puppy.

Chapter-Master

yeah use washes instead of dipping, only EVER use dipping if you need an painted army in a day, use washes and you can make nice models!
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Veteran-Sergeant

I have dipping my Tyranids for a couple years now and think it is a fine technique, in fact I may just throw up some pics and a tutorial if anyone is interested.

Bren-

I'd be interested in seeing that. I've never heard of dipping before and from Fuzz's description it doesn't sound to terribly effective. But if you've had different results, I'd like to see how you go about it. I have most of a chapter left to paint and I always like learning new things.
    na na na na na... wut?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast