BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Scout

Default Comp Scores - when is enough enough?

When I first started going to my flgs, I was bringing hard as nails, tournament optimized lists. I didn't care if the models were painted - I was a competitive player. The manager and some of the players, over the last couple of years, have moved me to always painted, more fluffy builds. It is still fun, but I am still competitive.

In his effort to push his perception of the game, our flgs manager has made the tournaments more and more comp based. I was cautiously OK with this - it was more than I wanted, but I accepted it.

The last tournament was the worst - I brought a DoA army at 1500 with a pimped out vv squad - a points sink kinda squad with 5 stormshields and a bunch of power weapons, but fluffy - all painted with a minimum of 5 colors, inked, washed, dipped, and based. Not the most gorgeous models ever, but well above tabletop.

I won 2 and lost 1. One of my wins was a 45 minute table of my opponent, the other was decisive.

Apparently, painted isn't enough now. Even though my battle points were higher, I finished behind a semi generic mini leafblower guard list that was well painted. Did I mention that he only won 1 game?

I talked to the manager about how I found this to be a bit over the top - his build was a power build, mine wasn't. Both were painted and based to above tabletop. He said it is part of the game.

I like the guys at this store, but I have a real issue with this. Asking for fluffy painted armies is one thing, but I think this is too much. I don't know how to handle it - I already brought it up and he was indifferent at best.

My snap reflex is to take my well painted guard list of doom from now on, take his petty comp hits, win all 3 decisively, and win the tournament. It would work a few times, and he would find a way to comp it out as well. This tournament your peers judged your paint, he judged your paint, and he had a huge FOC tally list of dings if you didn't build the army as generic as possible. I am really annoyed that what I said had absolutely no impact - it was clear he didn't care. I used to frequent a shop across town, but I find the players at this store far more competitive, and I have made a number of friends there ( who by the way agree 100% with me, they just won't confront him.

How would you handle this? Should I just pack up and head to the old shop? I know I could get my friends to come to the other store to play, I just don't know if I want to do that or not.

I don't think I would be nearly as upset if he hadn't just dismissed it without discussion when I brought it up. He did, and I am.

He has become so polarized that some of the store players organized a 40k point apoc game while he was working and didn't tell him - he is making far more people tham me angry, and it makes me sad.
    Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 03-25-2011 at 11:18 AM.

First-Captain

Move shop yes, Comp scores are a crap thought out by enemies to the game. Painting should be a seperate prize awarded at the tourney, best general should be about winning, after all tournements are about GAMING, having best painted win the best general is like making golden daemon players battle for best painted.
    For the Greater good.

One vanguard vet squad shouldn't do that to you. Was there maybe something else about your army that did that?

Some of the comp score stuff I have seen gets based on # or % of troops in your army. Did this other guy go all out on that? Yes, I am aware how powerful guard armies can be like this.

There could be any number of things going on here. Maybe this store has a lot of IG product the owner wants moved.

If you think you did better than the other guy you may be right, but ask yourself what justification there might have been, even if it's not a good one, in your opinion.

Chapter-Master

This is the reason why I've never gone to a tournament run by the closes lgs to my hometown. They always have some #$%^& comp rules that I won't be bothered to deal with. Luckily my college town players dislike comp as much as I do.

If you want some advice, there's some good articles about this on 3++ is the new black. A couple of the guys there are from Australia, where apparently comp is all the rage. They have a lot of stuff on how to make a "fluffy" list that can still be competitive.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

First-Captain

Shame that a fluffy BT army with crusaders would be penalised heavily
    For the Greater good.

I was also at that tournament. To be fair, the comp requirements were all on a rubric that was posted ahead of time. I know I sat down and figured out how to squeeze as many of those comp points out of my list (without making it bad) as I could. That guard list got 14 out of 18 possible comp points. How many did you get?

I don't think they were very good comp requirements, and I don't really like comp requirements very much, but the TO in this particular instance did make it easy to make sure you got a reasonable number of points, and the comp points weren't a huge part of the overall score.

At least they weren't subjective. They were somewhat game-able, but it's not like people were looking at your Vanguard squad, thinking "that's cheesy!" and giving you zeros. I thought your vanguard squad was awesome. Like, five storm shields. Woo!

Brother-Captain

The problem with comp is that it penalizes the old codices much more than the new codices, and it often penalizes fluffy or themed lists. A Space Wolves or IG player can look at that rubric and find a way to build a solid army list within that framework. A Necron player doesn't have many options and will have to take whatever he gets for comp. Fluffy/themed lists are also limited - there isn't much room to alter an all-Slaanesh list, or pure Deathwing.

This may sound harsh, but first of all, Grow Up. You are playing with plastic toy soliders. It sounds like I didn't win, I am going else where.

Quote Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
    When I first started going to my flgs, I was bringing hard as nails, tournament optimized lists. I didn't care if the models were painted - I was a competitive player. The manager and some of the players, over the last couple of years, have moved me to always painted, more fluffy builds. It is still fun, but I am still competitive.
    Here you said it yourself, you are a comptetive player. So you got beat by another competivie player. So what is the big deal?

In his effort to push his perception of the game, our flgs manager has made the tournaments more and more comp based. I was cautiously OK with this - it was more than I wanted, but I accepted it.
    Sorry I don't see
    the problem here. I thought this is what you wanted, more competitive, since you bring "hard as nails" army as you just said yourself above.

The last tournament was the worst - I brought a DoA army at 1500 with a pimped out vv squad - a points sink kinda squad with 5 stormshields and a bunch of power weapons, but fluffy - all painted with a minimum of 5 colors, inked, washed, dipped, and based. Not the most gorgeous models ever, but well above tabletop.

I won 2 and lost 1. One of my wins was a 45 minute table of my opponent, the other was decisive.
    I don't know what DoA is.

Apparently, painted isn't enough now. Even though my battle points were higher, I finished behind a semi generic mini leafblower guard list that was well painted. Did I mention that he only won 1 game?
    Ok I agree with you here. It shouldn't matter about beautifully painted armies. It's about how many games you win/loose/draw. I hate when it comes to painting or how armies look. So I agree why you would be upset here. The only thing is, did you know about this before hand? If you did, then you did agree to it before hand so you should have know before hand this could and most likely happen. Still it sucks and I hate it.

I talked to the manager about how I found this to be a bit over the top - his build was a power build, mine wasn't. Both were painted and based to above tabletop. He said it is part of the game.
    I don't get what you are complaining about. Didn't you just say in the begining of the game, you bring "hard as nails" lists? You play competively? So basically you were playing someone like you? So it's ok for you to do it, but not others? So next time you do the same thing that you use to do, but with a painted army.

I like the guys at this store, but I have a real issue with this. Asking for fluffy painted armies is one thing, but I think this is too much. I don't know how to handle it - I already brought it up and he was indifferent at best.
    Sorry it just seems someone finally played like you, but you don't like being on the other end of it. Again, next time, bring a list like his. This is only a one time instance. Why are you making a mountian out of a mole hill if it's a one time thing. I say if this happened 3 or 4 times, then yes you have something to complain about, but only once? Come on, get over it, you lost no big deal. Rememeber PLASTIC TOY SOLDIERS you are playing with. You really upset over a one time event?

My snap reflex is to take my well painted guard list of doom from now on, take his petty comp hits, win all 3 decisively, and win the tournament. It would work a few times, and he would find a way to comp it out as well. This tournament your peers judged your paint, he judged your paint, and he had a huge FOC tally list of dings if you didn't build the army as generic as possible. I am really annoyed that what I said had absolutely no impact - it was clear he didn't care. I used to frequent a shop across town, but I find the players at this store far more competitive, and I have made a number of friends there ( who by the way agree 100% with me, they just won't confront him.
    Why not? Do it. You are a competitive player, play to win. This is your play style after all.

As for the comment of talking to the owner of the store and he didn't care, then yeah, I agree with you, I would leave and never bother coming back. Do you have other places to go and play? So you have 2 options. Suck it up and play, or leave. Do you buy things at his store? After all if you don't buy anything there and play there, you play by his rules then. But if you do support this store owner, then talk with your WALLET and don't buy from him anymore because of him being a douch not listening to your or taking your comments with any heart.

I have stopped shopping at a store because the owner or people couldn't take any interest. Now they don't sell any 40K because there is no buyers now. So your Wallet speaks the loudest.

How would you handle this? Should I just pack up and head to the old shop? I know I could get my friends to come to the other store to play, I just don't know if I want to do that or not.

I don't think I would be nearly as upset if he hadn't just dismissed it without discussion when I brought it up. He did, and I am.

He has become so polarized that some of the store players organized a 40k point apoc game while he was working and didn't tell him - he is making far more people tham me angry, and it makes me sad.
    Well remember I think your anger is justified. It's not over your opponent, but it's more of the store owner. Is this the first time he did this to you? It looks like he does this to others, so maybe if it happens one more time, I would say, "you just lost a customer and my friends as well, we are going to your competion from now on."

Remember it's a game, I too get too easily pissed off. Rememeber it's a plastic toy soldier game. ( a really expensive toy soldier game) This has more to do with the store owner than anything, so I say give it one more chance since you like to play there, but if the store owner is a dick and douche, just leave, he is not worth it at all.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by HsojVvad View Post
    This may sound harsh, but first of all, Grow Up. You are playing with plastic toy soliders. It sounds like I didn't win, I am going else where.
    Not at all. I win aplenty. I am upset that I did better than a player with a mini leafblower but finished BEHIND him.

Here you said it yourself, you are a comptetive player. So you got beat by another competivie player. So what is the big deal?
    The big deal is I didn't get beat by him, my batle scores were BETTER than his. My composition was close, but his paint was better.

Sorry I don't see
    the problem here. I thought this is what you wanted, more competitive, since you bring "hard as nails" army as you just said yourself above.
    Do you even know what comp scores are? They have NOTHING to do with gameplay. They are for paint a composition.

I don't know what DoA is.

Ok I agree with you here. It shouldn't matter about beautifully painted armies. It's about how many games you win/loose/draw. I hate when it comes to painting or how armies look. So I agree why you would be upset here. The only thing is, did you know about this before hand? If you did, then you did agree to it before hand so you should have know before hand this could and most likely happen. Still it sucks and I hate it.

I don't get what you are complaining about. Didn't you just say in the begining of the game, you bring "hard as nails" lists? You play competively? So basically you were playing someone like you? So it's ok for you to do it, but not others? So next time you do the same thing that you use to do, but with a painted army.
    read the post - I USED to do that. My list was NOT a tournament quality build, it was a fluffy blood angels jump army.

Sorry it just seems someone finally played like you, but you don't like being on the other end of it. Again, next time, bring a list like his. This is only a one time instance. Why are you making a mountian out of a mole hill if it's a one time thing. I say if this happened 3 or 4 times, then yes you have something to complain about, but only once? Come on, get over it, you lost no big deal. Rememeber PLASTIC TOY SOLDIERS you are playing with. You really upset over a one time event?
    did you even read the post? it is the first time I got hosed, but I haven't liked it all along. This was the last straw, not the first instance.

Why not? Do it. You are a competitive player, play to win. This is your play style after all.

As for the comment of talking to the owner of the store and he didn't care, then yeah, I agree with you, I would leave and never bother coming back. Do you have other places to go and play? So you have 2 options. Suck it up and play, or leave. Do you buy things at his store? After all if you don't buy anything there and play there, you play by his rules then. But if you do support this store owner, then talk with your WALLET and don't buy from him anymore because of him being a douch not listening to your or taking your comments with any heart.

I have stopped shopping at a store because the owner or people couldn't take any interest. Now they don't sell any 40K because there is no buyers now. So your Wallet speaks the loudest.

Well remember I think your anger is justified. It's not over your opponent, but it's more of the store owner. Is this the first time he did this to you? It looks like he does this to others, so maybe if it happens one more time, I would say, "you just lost a customer and my friends as well, we are going to your competion from now on."

Remember it's a game, I too get too easily pissed off. Rememeber it's a plastic toy soldier game. ( a really expensive toy soldier game) This has more to do with the store owner than anything, so I say give it one more chance since you like to play there, but if the store owner is a dick and douche, just leave, he is not worth it at all.
    I spend a LOT of money there - I have 3 or 400 dollars worth of GK pre-ordered. I spend thousands on 40k. Literally. Pretty arrogant to ignore a good customer I think...

An earlier poster was there - who are ya / what did you play? I had good composition - I finished behind him over paint.

I do not care to not win - I have won enough for five people. Seriously. I just hate a powerbuild finishing ahead of a fluffy army because of paint. I hate the manager blowing my concerns off even more.

There are no other tournaments in the area. I guess what I can do is bring my well painted IG powerbuild to the tournaments and buy online. I don't mind paying the premium to have a place to play, but I do mind where he is taking the game since there is no competition. I can make hard lists and be nice about playing them. I just haven't because I respected his opinion of how he percieved the game. Now I find that he doesn't respect my perspective, so I guess it doesn't matter any more.

It makes me sad. I can have a blast and lose every game - I have done it. I would NOT have won the tournament - I lost to the winner game 1 - it isn't sore loser - it is principal. I am well painted and based, fluffy and I scored more battle points but I finished behind him.

On a side note - I have nothing against the guard player - he is a solid player and it is fun to play him. He did nothing wrong. Every player there was awesome, it is the scoring the gets me.

If I were you, I take your pre-order and bring it to the other store, unless you already put money down.

I see where you are coming from now.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast