BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default 1500 Salamanders test run

I'm likely going to be running this list or something similar at an upcoming FLGS tourney in a week, and I'd like some opinions. So far it runs pretty well, but the army was originally built around a Land Raider + Hammer Termie squad, and I feel somewhat exposed without that big fire magnet in the middle.

HQ: Vulkan He'stan . . . 190 pts
    Troop: 10 Tac Marines (Razorback w/ TL Ast Can, Sgt w/ PFist, Flamer, Missile) . . . 270 pts
    Troop: 6 Tac Marines (Razorback w/ TL Ast Can, Sgt w/ PFist) . . . 206 pts
    Troop: 8 Scouts (Telion, Sniper Rifles, Missile) . . . 174 pts
    Elite: 10 Sternguard (2 HFlamer, 2 Combi-Melta, Drop Pod) . . . 305 pts
    Fast: Land Speeder (HFlamer, MMelta) . . . 70 pts
    Fast: 5 Bikes (2 Melta, MMelta Atk Bike) . . . 185 pts
    Heavy: Thunderfire . . . 100 pts

Couple of notes: The local meta has swung heavily in favor of Eldar/DE, with a crazy Loota-spam Ork player and the inevitable handful of Smurfs and Blood Angels. Bike squad is 5 models total (is it better to note the number of bikes and then list the attack bike as an upgrade?)

Brother-Sergeant

i'd suggest running the sergeants with power swords and then investing in melta bombs. with the points you save from that and losing a few scouts, you can bring the second tac squad up to 10 and pick up the second flamer/heavy combo. you've got enough other tankbusters in your army, and vulkan really shines when you get to twin-link stuff. i'd also consider dropping the thunderfire in favor of another flavor of land speeder, especially for mobility reasons.
    Life becomes so much more tolerable when you finally admit that it's all part of Tzeentch's plan.

I'm running the power fists as a deterrent to "opportunistic" assaults, if that makes a difference.

I'd rather not drop the thunderfire cannon, it's been an all-star in my tests so far (get to paint half a Stormraven kill-counter on the side tonight!); thought about dropping the attack bike and the mook bike for another Land Speeder and another Combi-melta in the Sternguard.