BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Battle-Brother

Default 1500 Space Wolves

Okay I'm working on my Space Wolves, and I generally play at 1500 points at my LGW.

So here is the list, please give me a hand here.

HQ:

Wolf Lord = 130
    - Frost Blade
    - Storm Shield
    - Runic Armor
    - Meltabombs

Venerable Dreadnought = 160
    - Assault Cannon
    - Extra Armor

Elite:

Dreadnought = 115
    - Assault Cannon

Troops:

6 Grey Hunters = 162
    - Bolter/CC weapon
    - Meltagun
    -Razerback

9 Blood Claws = 175 (Commander goes in here)
    - Flamer
    - Power Weapon
    - Rhino

10 Blood Claws = 205
    - 2x Powerfists
    - Flamer
    - Rhino

10 Blood Claws = 205
    - 2x Powerfists
    - Flamer
    - Rhino

Fast Attack:

1 Attack Bike = 50
    - Multi Melta

1 Attack Bike = 50
    - Multi Melta

Heavy Support:

Vindicator = 125
    - Siege Shield

Vindicator = 125
    - Siege Shield

This list is not meant to be the ultra-competitive build, but it's not really casual either. It's somewhat in the middle, but leaning toward the competitive side.

I'm debating whether or not should I drop some points for extra armor for the most of my vehicles, it's extremely useful and I found that on my Rhinos it's golden. And for 5 points per upgrade... it's really too good to let it go by.

If anyone is wondering why my Razerback/Rhinos points are off, it's because at my LGW they let me use the points for vehicles in the normal Codex: Space Marines.

So, anything I should swap for something else?

Veteran-Sergeant

no extra armour....noooooooooooooo!
    it pays for itself once in a while, but a few extra points toward melta etc would help.
    (sorry, I am of the 'kill it first, don't hunker' camp)

see if you can tweak in a bit more melta...you are hurting on anti armour.
    you can't count on the vindi's to supplement that due to their range, and things like mobile melta (ie:attack bikes such as yours, etc etc).
    also, though I get point input etc, I think you may need to replace the power weapon on the 9 man squad with a power fist, or drop the points for the PW altogether (putting it somewhere else).

that's all I got without changing the fundamentals of the list.
    Last edited by Exitus Acta Probat; 07-31-2009 at 12:38 PM.

Battle-Brother

The Wolf Lord goes in there. Otherwise it would be a fist. :P

Brother-Sergeant

Not a bad list but I would have to say that running transports without extra armor is a big gamble. I never take any transport without armor because their sole purpose is to move and if they cant do that then they are not serving their function.

Glad to see you utilizing bloodclaws my only suggestion would be to remove that second powerfist from each squad since its just a bit of overkill in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceBlack View Post
    Not a bad list but I would have to say that running transports without extra armor is a big gamble. I never take any transport without armor because their sole purpose is to move and if they cant do that then they are not serving their function.

Glad to see you utilizing bloodclaws my only suggestion would be to remove that second powerfist from each squad since its just a bit of overkill in my opinion.

I've got to agree. Lately, I have not been taking EA across the board. However, my asault units still get it. There are just too many times when a stunned result will cost you that vital turn of forward movement.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by crazyredpraetorian View Post
    I've got to agree. Lately, I have not been taking EA across the board. However, my asault units still get it. There are just too many times when a stunned result will cost you that vital turn of forward movement.
    and I've honestly found that EA is the LAST point sink I look at.
    we can't honestly look at this list in a vacuum either. he's paying 5 points for EA, while paying the deflated cost for SM rhinos (ie 35 pts). it's going to be quite a shock if the new codex runs a ram right up his point bum because he relied on em.

EA generally helps on turn one delivery, if you're going second...at which point whether you even put the units on the table in the first place is questionable. I would personally rather save the 60 points for other things (aforementioned melta bump, a leg up on pods for the dreads, fist in the unit with the lord, etc etc...)...
    now, yes...at 5 points a pop it's worth it 1 in 6 hits...but give me the aggressive (especially in SW lists) vs the defensive any day.

also, DON'T buy anything on the list based on recommendations until you see the new 'Dex in a couple months...it's going to turn things on it's ears!

Quote Originally Posted by VinceBlack View Post

you can never have enough fists! XD hehe trust me..

also, i dont take EA only because i use smoke.. and if the smokes cover saves dont work, it wasnt worth taking the extra armor anyway. but yeah, looking over this list, its viable. its hard right now because everything is kinda off in points and ablilities.. (i just tried playing my 1500 pt list, and got slaughtered by eldar)

just be patient for the new dex.. and just hope we dont get neutered! ><