BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Default GW switching from metal to resin.

Yes, really, its been [URL="http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298959"]rumoured[/URL] for a while, and confirmed by Harry:
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by sigur
    sigur
    If that's true this means a massive change. I'm not convinced until we see any facts so let's see.
    It is a HUGE change.
    It is not an April fools joke. (I have known about it for a while it is just unfortunate timing for the rumour to break).
    It is really happening.

Quote Originally Posted by mechanicalhorizon
    If what I've been told is correct they are going to be spin-casting the resin using vulcanized silicone molds, the same molds used for metal casting just with a different cutting technique more suited to the flow of resin. We had in the past retrofitted some old molds for metal casting to test out resin casting and they worked fairly well, 3even better with some extra cutting.

So if GW is sticking with this method, and they probably are since spin casting resin is mostly the same as spin casting metal, it also uses much of the same equipment so there would be no extra set-up cost.

If this is correct than they can still use the existing masters to make new molds.

Even is they were to move towards an RTV-type material you could still use the existing masters to make new molds.

There really is no reason for GW to stop making any product because of a change in materials.
    This is what I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by yabbadabba
    GW have done this a few times before whether by range or the entire product. They are not operating at full capacity currently. They will know what models sell slowly, which sell quick and how much stock is across their sales channels and at HQ. They will have ramped up production on some lines to tide them over, and stopped making others sometime last year (yes some things do sell that slow). In short I think you are selling them short on planning.

What this seems to suggest to me is GW are looking to sell through enough metal stock within 3 months to minimalise on the amount left in the system when they switch to resin. That also suggests that for whatever reason they expect the resin to be in more demand than the metal when its released. Read into that what you will.

The final thing is about resin dust. I can't see GW deliberately cutting off their kiddy market. Which means either they are seriously going to ramp up the plastics, and leave a few kits as resins that can only be sold to a certain age group, or they have a resin/resin process that won't cause this concern.
    Or they have decided to love Vets again
    All of that sounds right. I have had the same thoughts.

Except the "they have decided to love vets again".

I have been buying metal miniatures from Citadel for 30 years.
    To be honest ... I'm gutted.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

I do not buy it.

The technique is similar so no retooling but the enviromental issue is serious.

I see them ramping up plastics in the future but the main facility is running at 100% right now and they are short on space.

Not opposed to it just not sure this will happen anytime soon

I have to admit I'm skeptical, but Harry is reliable. They have given themselves three months to burn through old metal stock so we will just have to wait and see.

On the brightside, a switch from expensive metal to much, much cheaper resin makes SGs much more viable. Far lower production costs, higher profit margins on all those metal kits.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

As someone who seems to buy as much resin as plastic in recent years, I would love this to be true. There is of course the issue of carcenogenic dust and resin being considered a metrial for 'expert' modellers, not to mention warping. I also reckon it would reduce the speciality of Forge World, although it could also increase its accessability as people get more used to working with resin.
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Chapter-Master

Bah that "carcinogenic dust" crap has been a bunch of hogwash :P

I've been building boats for years and breathing in the **** day and night and I'm still kicking.

(But I wear a mask most of the time) :P

Librarian

I'd love to see more resin models. However, would these resin models be more interchangeable with the plastic kits?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Pickelz View Post
    I'd love to see more resin models. However, would these resin models be more interchangeable with the plastic kits?
    About as interchangeable as the early mark armour forge world released. I.e. Totally.

The resin kits will be identical to the current metal ones, same moulds. They will be easier to convert (in theory) by virtue of being resin. So quite compatible, not like the Dark Eldar range where it is specifically designed into them, but still very compatible.
    Last edited by eldargal; 04-02-2011 at 08:07 AM.

Chapter-Master

I remember reading in WD a while back that whilst they were trying to convert to plastics as much as possible, they would continue to use metal due for some models due to the superior quality of model they can produce (and that its not particularly cost effective to produce sprues for single models that sell in limited qualities).

Now I would prefer resin models to metal as they are eaiser to model with and combine with plastics, but why would GW want the change? I've picked up a few models from Forgeworld now and they are nice enough, but the quality is in no way better than the current metals (and some cases considerably worse due to poor casting). Is this being done for cost reasons? If so will we get cheaper models?

Battle-Brother

I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, resin is lighter, easier to convert, and you can see your mold lines more easily. On the other hand, I've never had a metal model so hideously warped or covered in bubbles that I couldn't fix it in a minute or so (except maybe that blasted Chaos Dreadnought). From what I've heard, resin doesn't do well in heat, either, which isn't good for me as I live in a high desert environment.

If I could be confidant that GW's quality control would be better than that of Forgeword, I might be okay with this. I'd just have to be patient and remember not to leave my models in my car.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast