BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Tainted Grey Knights? or Chaos Grey Knights.

I always wanted to do Grey Knights and was thinking of doing it now, but I just can't do it. The Grey Knights are no longer in my eyes, The Pure, The Righteous, The Marines anymore. From the Fluff I have read so far they seem like they are Tainted or they have Turned.

So I was thinking if I am going to do Grey Knights, that they are Tainted or Chaos, or Turned GK nows. I just can't think of them as the saviours of mankind because there is no way a 1000 super soldiers can save the Imperium from Chaos.

I don't even see "sub chapter" or successor chapters in the GK codex. If there is please tell me the page number. So how can the 1000 GK be Imperiums saviours?

So I am thinking of making my Grey Knights evil. I loved the fluff in Daemon Hunters, but so far very disapointed with the fluff in Grey Knights. So what do you think? Since alot of the new fluff makes them seem like they worship Chaos or ready to do so, why not make them evil.

Would you play me, if I had "Evil" GK?
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

I have been pondering buying a GK Strike Squad just to see how I could paint them up as The Black Knights.
    If I absolutely need evil helmets, I'm sure I have a few spare to try out from the Chaos Knights kit. Or even chaos warriors.

Veteran-Sergeant

Even though there are some really crappy pieces of fluff in the new book, I didn't really get the feeling that GKs are all the sudden falling to the chaos taint, far from it...

But to answer your question, yes, I would play against such a list. It's a frigging hobby where grown men are playing with little toy soldiers. Anybody who wouldn't play against that army would have to be reminded that toy soldiers are not srs bzn...

And look at it this way: if somebody would refuse to play against that list because of the fluff twist you gave it, they would most likely not be the most pleasant of ppl to play against in the first place. If you would be that uptight about the fluff section of a codex, I can only imagine how bad it would be about the rules section.

Brother-Captain

I don't really see the problem with your idea...
    But then, I don't really see the problem you have in the first place.

Every faction in 40k does 'evil' things all the time. So go for it.

I just don't think the Grey Knights were ever 'pure' the way you seem to. I mean, they're 'pure' in that they have never succumbed to the temptations and corruption of Chaos...but they still kill innocent people all the time - just like the Imperium at large. Exterminatus, anyone? Or the Ordo Hereticus? Not to mention all the xenocide going around.

I guess with real life events coming up lateley, it is such a turn off for me, to try and play them as "good" guys. I guess playing them as "bad guys" seems easier to do.

Yeah I know pretty silly.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Chapter-Master

I would happily play your evil Grey Knights. Tbh the opposition fluff is pretty meaningless especially fanfic - in pick up games unless it is a repeat opponent - although I like and respect a player to play the fluff for their army (ie my berzerkers aren't subtle, straight down your throat).

However if your same MEQ army came out one week as 'evil knights' then 'blood templars' then 'ultrawing terminators' then Vulkan melta spammy marines the next prior to masquerading as BA I would think that was cack and try to play someone who has one army of miniatures per codex.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    However if your same MEQ army came out one week as 'evil knights' then 'blood templars' then 'ultrawing terminators' then Vulkan melta spammy marines the next prior to masquerading as BA I would think that was cack and try to play someone who has one army of miniatures per codex.
    Tru dat. I only play rich people myself. I hate poor people.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Spy_Smasher View Post
    Tru dat. I only play rich people myself. I hate poor people.
    Right on, bro.

Actually having met all stratas of society up to and including royalty, I can say the truly poor have no means to purchase luxuries such as plastic crack.

People who can afford to spend money not just on surviving, but on this hobby, are not poor by any means I can think of.

Anyhoo back OT...
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

I would happily play your evil Grey Knights. Tbh the opposition fluff is pretty meaningless especially fanfic - in pick up games unless it is a repeat opponent - although I like and respect a player to play the fluff for their army (ie my berzerkers aren't subtle, straight down your throat).

I can fully understand where you are coming from where people change there army to the current flavour all the time.

Right on, bro.

Actually having met all stratas of society up to and including royalty, I can say the truly poor have no means to purchase luxuries such as plastic crack.

People who can afford to spend money not just on surviving, but on this hobby, are not poor by any means I can think of.

Anyhoo back OT...
    Don't forget alot of people may start out, bought what they had, and then lost thier jobs, so they are stuck with what they have and can't get anymore. Just because someone may seem to have alot, all that could have been bought in the past so no more future purchases can be made then.

Quote Originally Posted by HsojVvad View Post
    So I was thinking if I am going to do Grey Knights, that they are Tainted or Chaos, or Turned GK nows. I just can't think of them as the saviours of mankind because there is no way a 1000 super soldiers can save the Imperium from Chaos.
    I have not read the current GK codex but do not remember anything that said exactly ho many Grey Knights there are, it says chapter but since they are a secret I sure they have as many as they can get.
    IIRC it also mentions they have psychers that divine where the GK are needed and how many. This is probably somewhat like the Eldar Farseers role. They may determine a single Deamon Prince is a grave threat and send two squads to kill it and the cultists that summoned it, yet they may ignore an incursion of hundreds of minor daemons.

As far as tainted GK, it does not fit the background. Think of the GK as having the Mark of the Emperor. Not to say that they are nice people, they do what they feel is needed to save humanity.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast