BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Default Product Review: Do NOT buy the DE Succubus

I just received the new Succubus figure. Assuming that the blister I got was not defective, the figure is a waste of money. The figure's only options are an agonizer and an impaler - no shardnet, no close combat weapon, no splinter pistol, and nothing else. Worse yet, if you were interested in using the agonizer, it's on the wrong arm with respect to all the other Dark Eldar bits, which means to get either a blaster or a splinter pistol with it will require MASSIVE modification. From the perspective of the game, the figure is nonsensical crap. The image shows you exactly what you get, which isn't generally something someone would field:

Last edited by Necron2.0; 04-06-2011 at 10:24 AM.
    Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

And it's metal. I'd rather convert a plastic wych to look more intimidating than shell out the money for a metal model.

Librarian

Erm you do realise DE can mix and match so you can take the weapons you want from the wych's sprue and put them on the model just like the Archon.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by lattd View Post
    Erm you do realise DE can mix and match so you can take the weapons you want from the wych's sprue and put them on the model just like the Archon.
    That's what I do. I actually like the body of the model - I'd give it different arms from the Wych sprue.
    Let the Galaxy burn.

I agree with what both lattd and Connjurus have said. though it would have been nice to have had more options in the blister there are so many bits that could be used with the model that it is not without value.
    Last edited by Sonofthelion; 04-06-2011 at 10:52 AM. Reason: redundant

Chapter-Master

I got this model

And i'm enjoying it. Its a very nice kit, especially compared to a lot of other metal figures...(outside the DE range)

My only complaint is the upper chest area (above the boobs) is kinda cluttered and can be hard to make out whats what when painting it

Also I think the wargear shes carrying is perfect for a Succubus. Do you complain the Archon kit is rubbish because it "only" comes with a soul trap and a huskblade?
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Brother-Captain

The problem is, in this case the bits aren't compatible. The most popular configurations of the Succubus (at least as I've observed) are either with a blaster and maybe an agonizer, or else vanilla with no modification (that's a CC weapon and a splinter pistol). To build either one, you'll need a box of Wyches (generally) so you can replace BOTH arms. Even if you planned on using an agonizer, you'd be better off discarding the one that comes with the figure and using the plastic bits, because the plastic bits aren't compatible with the metal agonizer arm in this case. Now, one metal succubus costs the same as six plastic Wyches. If you're basically forced into buying a box of Wyches anyway, economically speaking you'd be better off just converting one Wych into a Succubus and selling the remaining Wych bits on Ebay. Therefore, the figure is rubbish and not worth buying.

As for the Archon, I don't use Archons, but that figure at least is somewhat useful. If I were to bring in an Archon, I probably would want either a soul trap or a husk blade. Additionally, the heads for the Archon are unique. In the case of the Succubus, there is absolutely nothing that truly distinguishes it from a Wych.

Last edited by Necron2.0; 04-06-2011 at 11:24 AM.
    Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Librarian

Your argument has one hole:

Why bring a Succubus unless you're playing a Wych Cult? You should already have Wyches if you're getting a Succubus, there's really no point in taking one on her own.
    Let the Galaxy burn.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Connjurus View Post
    Your argument has one hole:

Why bring a Succubus unless you're playing a Wych Cult? You should already have Wyches if you're getting a Succubus, there's really no point in taking one on her own.
    And the obvious hole with this argument is if you're playing a Wych Cult, you're not likely to need an additional Succubus figure at all. The Wych box has 10 figures. A raider holds 10 figures. Two Venoms hold 10 figures. A full Wych unit on foot is 15 figures. So, either you've already got all the figures you need, or else you've got spare Wyches to convert to Succubi. Either way, the metal Succubus figure is unnecessary.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Necron2.0 View Post
    And the obvious hole with this argument is if you're playing a Wych Cult, you're not likely to need an additional Succubus figure at all. The Wych box has 10 figures. A raider holds 10 figures. Two Venoms hold 10 figures. A full Wych unit on foot is 15 figures. So, either you've already got all the figures you need, or else you've got spare Wyches to convert to Succubi. Either way, the metal Succubus figure is unnecessary.
    Unless, of course, you like the look of the model.
    Let the Galaxy burn.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast