BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Librarian

Default Changes you'd like to see in the next Eldar codex.

Reading through a thread a little while ago, and skimming through my copy of Eldar codex, I got to thinking rather absent-mindedly throughout the day on things that I think could help make the Eldar more...Eldar. More...customizably specialized. Keep in mind, these aren't things I thought TOO hard on, but I came up with two ideas:

1) Rather than having Dire Avengers the only Aspect that you can take as troops, I think the selection for which Aspect represents the bulk of your force should be in the list-building stage - that is, all the Aspects are normally Elites, but with a small little box in the army selection part of the codex that says, "You may take *insert Aspect name here* as Troops, but if you do so, you may not take them as Elites, and they will be the only Aspect that you may take as Troops." I think that would really cut down on the "two minimum Dire Avenger Squad" lists that seem to be the basic go-to for lots of Eldar players, and would make for lots of cool customization. Alternatively, or possibly additionally, maybe make the various Phoenix Lords make their respective Aspects also able to be taken as Troops.

2) I think that certain things, like War Walkers, Falcons, etc, should be able to be taken as either Fast Attack OR Heavy Support - representing the Autarch's preference for how he uses them. Does he use the War Walkers as mobile fire support? Then they're heavy support. Does he use them as scouts, coming in from the flanks to harry the opponent's sidelines? Then they're fast attack. That would be the fluff justification for it, and I think that it really would make for a lot of really cool, really fun lists.

3) Make Wraithguard cheaper and in plastic. >_> That one doesn't need to be said, but I did it anyway.

Thoughts? What changes do YOU want in the next Eldar codex?
    Let the Galaxy burn.

Chapter-Master

Oh hey look, its the monthly "What we want in the new Eldar dex" thread.

(Don't feel bad, I've been the victim of this too, especially with the FW stuff coming out)

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Oh hey look, its the monthly "What we want in the new Eldar dex" thread.

(Don't feel bad, I've been the victim of this too, especially with the FW stuff coming out)
    Hey don't make fun of me. AND I WANT A BAZILLION WASPS.
    Let the Galaxy burn.

It's not very dramatic, but what I would really like is to have more stuff included in the base point cost. it really kills me to have to purchase everything a-la-carte.

So for example:
    I would like Farseers to have 2 powers base (like librarians) and maybe runes of witnessing/warding by default

Wave serpents/vypers/falcons to have a base weapon included in the price (like razorbacks/land speeder/predators/etc.)

Ideally I would like the aspect warriors to have access to the exarch powers; either by including the exarch for "free" (like space marine sgts.) and just paying for the power you want. Or alternately, I would like the exarchs to have the powers and just having to pay the exarch upgrade.

I would like the option of having warlocks as a 2 for 1 hq option (similar to rune priests and homunculi)

I guess I would like Eldar Missile Launchers to be 2-shot weapons and distort weaponry to be AP 1 as well.

Chapter-Master

This again? Yippee

Starcannons Strength 7
    Wraithlords need an invulnerable/cover save...seeing as nearly every weapon that can hurt them is AP1,2 or 3
    Give the Avatar Eternal Warrior
    Increase the range on all shuriken catapults by 6 (so guardians are 18" and DA are 24"
    Give cannons the same sort of profile as Splinter Cannons
    The warwalker thing
    Other aspects being made troops...give reason to actually field the Phoenix Lords
    All vehicles points reduction

Also long ago heard the Idea of eldar being the elite of the elite...thousands of year training making them incredibly proficient...so increase WS and BS of all units (cept maybe default guardians) by 1
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

make each phoenix lord unlock their aspect as troops.
    autarchs unlock more guardians (autarch on bike unlocks guardian bikers as troops)
    yriel unlocks wraithguard as troops
    farseers allow you to attach warlocks to ANY squad
    avatars allow you to take courts of the young king as troops (aka exarch squads)

in my mind eladrs are all about the HQ and having a 'themed army with some guardians'

oh and a all wraithlord list (with wraithlords as customizable as lego: with aspect boxes you get bitz to convert exarch wraithlords!)

just my musings

-fuzzz
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Battle-Brother

I am rather happy the way it is except the list generally is a bit under powered and over cost on points in 5th.

I was about to say, I would like to see a new Eldar unit called "Thundereldarwolves" which kill everything on the table by turn 2.

But that would be waaayy over powered...ahem.

Edit- oh yeah, what Scion of Terra says below, plastic Wraithguard please. That model is long in the toof anyway.
    Last edited by Count Fenring; 04-06-2011 at 09:03 PM.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    Also long ago heard the Idea of eldar being the elite of the elite...thousands of year training making them incredibly proficient...so increase WS and BS of all units (cept maybe default guardians) by 1
    Sorry, but the elite of the elite would be the Dark Eldar. Craftworlders are writing poetry, making statuary, and other effeminate things while the Eladrith Ynneas are in a constant state of war where the weak end up slaving in munitions factories or worse. I do expect the pricing to be more reasonable and their psychic shooting attacks to be buffed, as well as some more special rules, build options or such to make them more 5e.

Really the only thing wrong with them is their pricing. Looking at DE though, I doubt the Phoenix Lords or Wraithlord will get invulnerable saves as Drazhar and the Talo Pain Machine didn't.

As someone who faces Eldar. I would like to see Eldar brought in line with 5th ed codexs. Cheaper Transports, re-coasted units, Psychic Powers balanced to current power levels, base equipment just included by default, ect.

But most important. To see them make some of the units less useless/redundant. Because both Eldar and CSM are prety painfully Mono-build by this point due to the amount of POINTLESS and disgustingly over-coasted units plaguing thows books.

=/

I have a HUGE CSM army easily 5000+ points, from buying armies other people gave up on dirt cheap. Right now the same thing is happening for another guy buying up people's Eldar Stuff.

The CSM and Eldar players from been dropping like flies in favor of other books at the LGS. Like. Long time players just giving up on thows armies in favor of more characterful armies.
    Last edited by Lockark; 04-06-2011 at 05:35 PM.

Brother-Sergeant

I do like the Phoenix Lord unlocks Troops idea. But let's be honest. Do we really need MORE Fire Dragon squads included in the lists?
    On a similar note... I want my Black Guardians again. Maybe Eldrad could unlock them, or something.
    Let's have cheaper everything, except maybe Jetbikes. Those are already pretty d*mn cheap. But everything else needs to drop at least 25%.
    PLASTIC WRAITHGUARD
    Really ramped up psychic powers/abilities. The Eldar are supposed to be the masters of this stuff, but right now all we've got is some Runes and unit buffs.
    Maybe there could be an option to run Corsair lists? Just a thought.
    Let's un-nerf Starcannons.
    A viable way to run all-Wraith armies would be nice. The current system is a little limited (not to mention $$$)
    And let's see the last two Phoenix Lords already.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast