BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help W/ Tyranid Paint Scheme

hello guys, i am painting my paint Tyranids using a scorpion green as their skin color while the carapace is black, i need help determining what would be a good color for the scything talons and also a basing color. any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks!
    [URL="http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/n481/brandonjames416/?action=view&current=2011-04-08_144055.jpg"]http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/n481/brandonjames416/?action=view&current=2011-04-08_144055.jpg[/URL]

Brother-Sergeant

I always made the talons the same color as the carapace cause my thinking was the talons are the same chitinous bone as the carapace. As far as how to paint the black so it doesn't look flat or bland. Look at Beetles and they're carapace and try to emulate that if you wanna use black.

also basing, I would go with a jungle theme to fit in with the colors of the bugs. Lots of dark greens, browns.

only problem with making the talons black would be that the armor plate on the talons is also black so it would be kinda redundant. what do you think of red for the talons? i could make the point that there "blood talons"

Veteran-Sergeant

The only colour I would 100% avoid is doing red. Red + Green = Christmas. That is all I can see when I see armies with that colour scheme. If I were you I would do a more natural colour for their talons, like a bone. It would suit it best.

As far as what you already have are you going to highlight the black? Or is that model 100% done except the talons? Right now it looks like a nice shading of green with primed black scales. Anyways, hope that helps and I look forward to seeing a picture of the final product.

i really wanna do something with the carapace besides plain ol black. im not sure what color would go best though. and as far as the talon color i think bone would be nice.

whats your opinion for the base? would a color like adeptus battlegrey be a good tone? sort of like a deserted planet.

Chapter-Master

Maybe a adeptus grey, highlighted with codex

Or go for full stone with Dheneb and washes/highlights. This could either be stone, or an extension of the bugs bone into its claws, so they re-grow as they break

Its nice to have them contrast with both the caraspace and the "softer" underbelly. And yeah...avoid red
    Last edited by DrLove42; 04-08-2011 at 03:02 PM.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

You could always do gloss black for the carapace and talons.

Brother-Sergeant

You could also do the carapace and talons by starting with snakebite leather and building up to bleached bone. That will give it a nice bone effect.

Iron Father

Could this be the christmas look you were talking about ? lol
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Librarian

Black with Yellow with a gloss varnish would be cool on the carapace
    "I Have Become Death the Destroyer of Worlds"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast