BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Gaming tables

Chaplain

Default Gaming tables

Okay, I am trying to make a standing wargaming table so that I don't have to continuously kneel down on the floor. Right now I've got 2 2'x6' sheets of chipboard to play on and I am planning on buying a couple of paste tables to mount the board on. I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to replace the chipboard with 1 big sheet of plywood or if it would just be a waste of money. Thoughts?
    Master Bryss and I build conversions IN A SHED. WITH CLIPPERS N' GLUE!
    Hi, I'm Titans newest recruit. PREPARE TO BE PURGED!!!

Chaplain

I think it would be worth the extra dough to get you a single 4x6 piece of 1/2 inch MDF (Medium density fiberboard). It is very rigid stuff and won't warp if you paint it, get it wet, slather it with plaster, etc. You can pick it up at any lumber yard or home improvement store (Lowe's, Menard's, etc) You might try yard sales etc for an old kitchen table that you could set the board on. Might save you some bucks. If you are going to do modular terrain you might want to take a look here. [url]http://www.zuzzy.com/[/url] They make and sell VERY nice latex mats that have a textured surface, just for gaming. It paints up very quickly, and you can just roll it up when you aren't using it. I am actually thinking about ordering a second mat. You can also go really cheap and just go to walmart and buy pieces of cheapo cloth in different colors. I got some for desert warfare that was a nice dusty yellow and it cost me about 2 bucks.

Veteran-Sergeant

With the plywood, cost usually is not an issue. Weight is. Plywood, especially a large sheet, is very heavy. Much heavier than the chipboard you're using.

I agree with fade_74. MDF is very light, comes in different thicknesses, and is very sturdy. I made a folding game board out of MDF with texture which was easy to transport if needed. It folded up just a board game but measured 4'X6'.

If you're chipboards are in good condition, I would keep them. Just buy a table for them and mount them on it. I would look at garage sales (or boot sales if you're in the UK) for a sturdy but cheap one.
    On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died.

Chaplain

Thanks guys, I'll keep an eye out for some tables at a few sales and see if the chipboard I have works.
    Master Bryss and I build conversions IN A SHED. WITH CLIPPERS N' GLUE!
    Hi, I'm Titans newest recruit. PREPARE TO BE PURGED!!!

Brother-Sergeant

However you decide to build the table, I agree with Fade about the game mat from zuzzy miniatures. For simple, easy to paint, effective ground level terrain, the mats they offer are by far the best i've seen or gamed on.
    Let the weak cower. Let the brave fight. Let the fires rise and our enemy come. I stand ready at the brink of forever...