BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thankfully, Bigred has nothing to do with the actual FOW event.

You will not be alone, Prince of Moskova.
    Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Nathanael Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Jwolf View Post

You will not be alone, Prince of Moskova.
    Excellent!

Is there a schedule anywhere of the Flames of War Events so I can meet these other folks?

We start FOW every day at 9am.
    Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Nathanael Greene

Terraforming Magos

Ok Generals Instead of complete wackiness we're going to tweak just a few things. I've been looking at many different systems and scoring and have decided on simple tweaks.

First Das Book is where we will be getting the missions.

Defensive Battles: Because I despise the notion of someone winning from slow/lethargic playing and a whole additional cast of other shenanigans Defensive players do not get the auto win if the game times out before turn six. If the games time out before turn six players players will use the fair fight rules for scoring which means both players will use the looser points depending on how many platoons they lost.

Notes on missions: If two of the same Company types are fighting each other, i.e. Infantry v Infantry, Mech v Mech, Tank v.Tank, players may choose to use the missions Fair Fight or Encounter (The judge will determine which optional mission may be chosen for the round.) If players can't agree they will roll off.

Scoring: Paint will be judged separate of battle points but will be used as a tie breaker in the case of a tie.

Battle Points: The victory point table is going to be tweaked.

0-20% platoon losses 6 points to victor 1 to looser
    21-49% platoon losses 5 points to victor 2 to looser
    50% and greater platoon losses 4 points to victor 3 to looser

This is overall platoons taken and only counts things that actually count as platoons.

Example: you have 6 total platoons and loose 2 and take the objective your score will be 5-2

Sportsmanship:
    At the end of each day we'll ask you who was your favorite player for the day. The top three vote getters will be awarded +2 points to their overall score.
    Best Army Appearance FOW- WAR Games Con 2010
    Eternal WarGamesCon Paint Judge
    FOW Line Judge WGC 2011

Mike,

These are some very big changes to the tournament at the last minute and not simple tweaks. I see where you are going with these rules and I agree that people that sandbag are annoying. However I dont think this is the right way to do it. These rules will completely change the way FoW plays. I especially dont think its fair to the people that are coming from out of town to be ambushed by these rules without having any fair warning.

• It basically eliminates any infantry lists from contending.
    • It doesnt take into account that the attacker may slow play to force a draw.
    • It doesnt take into account that of a player brings soviet infantry, it takes forever for them to move. Or anybody for that matter with a lot of teams to move will eat up a lot of time.
    • It punishes people that bring expensive platoons such as FV Germans or Soviet Tank Co's. If they can only bring 4 platoons and 1 dies, its automatically a 5-2. If I bring an army with 10 platoons, I have to lose 3. Therefore its easier for the second person to get a better score.
    • Another example is German player takes poor quality infantry with very expensive units, say 1200 points of tanks in one platoon, and the rest ~8 or so crappy tiny platoons. They lose the tanks, but still get a 6-1.
    • It seems that a person with fortifications would be penalized with this rule set.
    • It also doesnt address the problem of turtling. If somebody attacks aggressively and then loses a bunch of platoons, they could pull back and play for a draw.
    • So is every round going to be Fair Fight (I'm sure you meant Free For All) or Encounter? That doesnt seem very fun. There should be set scenarios for every round. I am pretty sure I am not alone when I say that I would not enjoy a tournament where I play 3 straight FFA matches.

These rules make it look like we are trying to shoehorn FoW into GW scoring when FoW isnt made to work like that. I really hope that you will reconsider these rule changes. If you want something to encourage more offense, try using the FoG rules.

Sincerely,
    Chaucer

I agree with Chaucer. These are major changes to the way FoW plays and I don't think it is fair at all to announce these kind of changes at the last minute. Even then it seems like you are trying to get FoW to play like GW games and that's not right. Had I realized this I don't know that I would have signed up for the event because it seems pretty darn unfair all around.

Cheers, Gary
    Last edited by silashand; 07-06-2011 at 09:09 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123