BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Default Incoming: Storm of Magic

In this month's peek of what is to come we take a look at Storm of Magic, the brand-new world-shattering Expansion for Warhammer. Prepare for battles ravaged with powerful magic and a host of fearsome monsters.

Storm of Magic - when the eight winds howl...

The Winds of Magic are tumultuous. Drawn by Morrslieb, they are prone to rise from a strong gale into a howling tempest. And when they do no kingdom or realm is safe.

Monsters awaken from their slumber and are summoned from their lairs at the bidding of sorcerous masters. Armies assemble, ready to defend their borders or seize the opportunity to gain limitless power. It is in these desperate times tenuous pacts between wizards and creatures of darkness are sealed to create alliances never thought possible.

A time of doom and great deeds is at hand. Will you rise to meet the storm?

Announcing the impending arrival of Storm of Magic, the latest and largest Expansion for Warhammer, the Game of Fantasy Battles. Launched in July 2011, Storm of Magic describes what happens when great eldritch maelstroms roil across the lands. Magic becomes far more powerful and there is a whole range of Cataclysm spells to cast, unleashing untold devastation on the enemy. Arcane Fulcrums burst from the ground, not only acting as loci for the swirling energies that pervade a battle fought amidst the Storm of Magic, but changing the way a Warhammer tabletop looks and interacts with your armies. With such things so crucial to your Storm of Magic games a new range of Warhammer scenery and Wizards will soon be released in time for you to wage cataclysmic battles.

Then there are the monsters. When the Winds of Magic blow with such strength, the fell creatures of the world gravitate towards the tempest, slithering from deep tunnels or emerging from mountain lairs.

With the new Expansion allowing you to use so many different creatures there are a whole host of new monstrous plastic kits on their way. Citadel's queen of creatures, Trish Morrison, has spent the last few years in her own lair preparing for the new monsters to be unleashed upon the world and you can see two brief glimpses of what is to come below:

‘I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor.’

Hurray! Top picture look like some kind of big furry critter, bottom one is a large fantasy Jokaero.

Seriously though, first one look like a dragon a bit so I'm going with the much rumoured DE Dragon.
    Last edited by eldargal; 04-11-2011 at 03:36 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

From Harry
    Pretty sure that is a Black Dragon and a Manticor. Both are plastic.

I see this a bit like 'Apocalypse' for Fantasy. Just like 40K Apocalypse was about bringing all your big guns to the table and blowing stuff up this seems to be about bringing all your big gribblys and uber powerful wizards to the table and blowing stuff up ...
    ... or chomping and ripping stuff up in the case of the big gribblys.

What's not fun about that.
    ‘I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor.’

Veteran-Sergeant

So really powerful magic, the thing that people complain most about in Fantasy, is getting an expansion that makes it even more powerful. Good deal.
    http://nike40k.blogspot.com

Also, big monsters which makes it all ok.

But really, people complain about everything*, if GW took that on board we wouldn't get anything new. I for one always like seeing more, large, pretty kits.

*8th ed is herohammer, hordehammer, magichammer, warmachinehammer, monsterhammer etcetera all at once if you believe the internet fanbase.

Also, yay, I was right about the first one being a dragon then. *fist bumps herself*
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chaplain

thanks for posting this, GW site won't log me in for some reason.

wonder if any of the monster to be released will be those of the beastmen, Cygor and Ghorgon could be in on kit and the Jabberslythe in another
    Step forth and be recognized.
    No mercy. No pity. No hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikephoros View Post
    So really powerful magic, the thing that people complain most about in Fantasy, is getting an expansion that makes it even more powerful. Good deal.
    Well, not really an expansion but an alternate format of play in which magic is more powerful, if the above is to be believed. Which seems entirely plausible - the recent releases of big plastic monsters for warhammer seems to be an effort to make it more like 40k, which has big plastic vehicles.

Basically, since 40k has a range of alternative formats that don't affect the normal game - cityfight, planetstrike, apocalypse, etc. - it seems likely that this is an alternative format for warhammer, which means that the normal game rules will be totally unaffected by this release.

I suspect the main result of this development will be the same as in 40k, which is that the hobby side of the game will be enriched by having awesome plastic models available that will be popular to buy and paint without any potential to unbalance the standard game since they are only fieldable when both players agree to play an alternate format.

Chapter-Master

This looks exciting and fun, though I can't help but question the wisdom of releasing an expansion when, in the year since the release of the new rules, they will have managed to update just 2 army books.

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Hurray! Top picture look like some kind of big furry critter, bottom one is a large fantasy Jokaero.

Seriously though, first one look like a dragon a bit so I'm going with the much rumoured DE Dragon.

In all honesty it reminds me of the Vampire Count's "Winged Nightmare", sept more furry.

[url]http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440102a&prodId=prod1160 096[/url]

Banned

via [URL="http://cadia122.blogspot.com/2011/04/finally-gw-makes-miniature-of-dee.html"]122nd Cadian[/URL]

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast