BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chaplain

Default Force Weapons= +1 power

I'm putting this in because it has been said in the forums far too much. People assume that the force weapon uses up one of the powers that psychic mastery allows. Thing is it says in the BRB under force weapons that they 'confer to the wielder one additional psychic power, used in close combat' Hopefully this will clear up any confusion people have.
    Master Bryss and I build conversions IN A SHED. WITH CLIPPERS N' GLUE!
    Hi, I'm Titans newest recruit. PREPARE TO BE PURGED!!!

Librarian

I see BRB used all the time here and I get that it means the Rulebook but I can't fathom what BRB actually stands for. Help a brother out?

Black Reach Book?
    Touched by His Noodly Appendage

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberscape7 View Post
    I'm putting this in because it has been said in the forums far too much. People assume that the force weapon uses up one of the powers that psychic mastery allows. Thing is it says in the BRB under force weapons that they 'confer to the wielder one additional psychic power, used in close combat' Hopefully this will clear up any confusion people have.
    By the looks of it, you are the one who is confused. The Force Weapon does confer an additional psychic power to its wielder. It does not, however, increase the number of psychic powers its wielder can use in a turn. Using your force weapon does count towards the number of psychic powers you can use in a turn--just like casting hammerhand, or the Shrouding, or any other psychic power.

Gaining an additional psychic power means just that--gaining an additional psychic power. Grey Knight librarians, for instance, can gain all sorts of additional psychic powers by purchasing them for five points a piece--but these purchases, like the force weapon, do not increase the limit on the number of psychic powers the librarian can use per turn.

If you have mastery 1, you can use hammerhand or you can use your force weapon. You cannot do both. If you have mastery 2, you can do both, but you can't use any other psychic powers that same turn. That is how the rule works. That is how the rulebook says that the rule works. That is how the Grey Knights codex says that the rule works. This is really not unclear at all.

edit:

BRB means Big Red Book--the fifth edition core rulebook.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    edit:

Cheers.

Further to Bean's comment; p50 of the Rulebook, in the section for force weapons, reads "The normal rules for using psychic powers apply (remember that a psyker may normally only use one psychic power per turn)."

My emphasis.
    Touched by His Noodly Appendage

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    I thought it stood for Big Rule Book, cool

Big Rule Book would certainly work, too, but in 4th edition we always called it (and I always saw it called) the BBB--Big Black Book--which seems to support the Big Red Book theory.

Librarian

Ah. So my standard, non-upgraded, Mastery 1 squad of Strike GK's can use either Instant Death Force Weapons (to kill the Carnifex) or Hammerhand (to butcher the infantry), but not both.

Good to know. Makes the game much more strategic and keeps them from being overpowered. I like.

To stay on topic, yes any force weapon activation counts as a psychic power.

Now to the real reason for the post. I thought BRB stood for Basic Rule Book?

The Dark Mechanic

BRB = Big Red Book. The 4th Edtion Book was often referred to as the BGB for Big Grey Book. When they changed the color of the cover to red for 5th Edition, the acronym used on forums changed with it.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Chapter-Master

Or Basic Rule Book. Everyone seems to use it for whatever reason, including me.

Anyways, just because you have a whole bunch of powers doesn't mean that you can use them all per turn. Normally, you can use one psychic power per turn. And as the OP pointed out, activating a force weapon is psychic power, so it absolutely counts as your 'one per turn'. Some units can use more than one power, but force weapons still count towards the limit.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast