BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Lightbulb Oh my god, what is this, I don't even...

Yeah, just read the page---wow. I've read awful stuff. But that doesn't make sense. Unless it was the perception of reality being changed rather than time being eroded. That would make more sense. Heck, I'd love to see a reference to the Anti-Life Equation. It would fit their character, after all; it would be he perfect way to defeat Chaos when everyone believes in the same thing.

Sorry, I must cut this short as those darn flying elephants have decorated my car again....

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Apparently it was confirmed at a Black Library seminar that he is writing the Necron codex but a team of writers are handling the fluff.
    I would not be surprised if this happened with every codex so far.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Occam View Post
    Yeah, just read the page---wow. I've read awful stuff. But that doesn't make sense. Unless it was the perception of reality being changed rather than time being eroded. That would make more sense. Heck, I'd love to see a reference to the Anti-Life Equation. It would fit their character, after all; it would be he perfect way to defeat Chaos when everyone believes in the same thing.

Sorry, I must cut this short as those darn flying elephants have decorated my car again....
    The Necrons do have technology that can manipulate space and time on a small scale (Chronometron in their wargear, a defensive strategy for Planetstrike, the name of which escapes me, and so on). There's also mentions of it in the existing fluff. For an army/ species based on ultratechnology, they and their gods have a surprising Cthulhoid attitude to warping space and time. This warping isn't in all the fluff - Commissar Cain has wandered through a Necron tomb or two without seeing it IIRC - but it is there in others and reflected somewhat in the game. As an aside, I've always thought the descriptions of the space/time anomalies on the worlds of the Saruthi in the Eisenhorn novel Xenos would be a good fit for a Necron world.

From what I have heard, the new Codex will depict the Necrons as a more awakened and therefore a true military force rather than the raiders which they have been shown as to date. So it is possible that the book will mention more large scale manipulation of the fundamental fabric of the space time continuum and other bigger and nastier Things That Man Was Not Meant to Know*.

Whether this will be actually reflected in their rules or just mentioned in the fluff, I don't know, though I suspect it would be the latter.

I've always thought of the Necrons as heavily-inspired by the Cybermen so I'm all for them zipping around causing damage to space and time, perhaps chased by Inquisitor Who and Interrogator Pond. I do like your idea about the Anti-Life Equation though, time to buy a Darkseid figure to use as a proxy Nightbringer.

* though you could argue that nearly all of the 40K background is Things That Man Was Not Meant to Know.

Default "Euclidean Mind phase"

I believe the name of the maneuver that you are searching for is "Euclidean Mind phase."

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Occam View Post
    I believe the name of the maneuver that you are searching for is "Euclidean Mind phase."
    Thanks. Our new baby has meant that Planetstrike has been banished to the loft and is buried under piles of unpainted figures dating back to before Rogue Trader...

Quote Originally Posted by JamesP View Post
    I've always thought of the Necrons as heavily-inspired by the Cybermen so I'm all for them zipping around causing damage to space and time, perhaps chased by Inquisitor Who and Interrogator Pond. I do like your idea about the Anti-Life Equation though, time to buy a Darkseid figure to use as a proxy Nightbringer.
    Given the Impossible Planet mentioned above . . . (which is an awesome concept).

Now, when I was last overseas I was informed by a GW 'staffer' about possible changes to the 40k background with the new Necron codex. I don't like to openly discuss rumours, as I may have heard wrong, but what I was told sounded ridiculous. I actually debated the ideas, as they seemed antithetical to 40k themes, so let's hope they were just ideas GW had been throwing around.

Besides, I love the current Necron stories and background.
    Dark Eldar 4000pts, Eldar 2000pts, Dark Angels 2500pts, Tau 2000pts.

Librarian

I'd let Interrogator Pond interrogate me anytime she wants... especially if she's in that cop outfit.

If Matt Ward is writing the codex, I sorta hope he revisits the "Blood Angels/Necron BFF's" fluff piece from the other side... and it shows the Necron blowing the Blood Angels ships out of the sky as they leave the planet, or something. Anything to redeem that horrible nonsense. Or the Necron Lord could walk away thinking "My, those Blood Angels sure are nice chaps. Perhaps we should invite them back to the tomb for tea?".

I'd be interested in seeing an evolution of the Necron's fluff... the time manipulation stuff sounds kinda cool. I mean, apparently Chaos gets to do it due to "blah blah time means nothing in the Warp, yay!", so the Necron should be able to manipulate it as well. Otherwise, there's no reason the Old Ones couldn't have just Warp-traveled back and wiped out the Necrontyr before they woke up the C'Tan.

Also, Terminator references require time travel.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Drew da Destroya View Post
    I'd let Interrogator Pond interrogate me anytime she wants... especially if she's in that cop outfit.

If Matt Ward is writing the codex, I sorta hope he revisits the "Blood Angels/Necron BFF's" fluff piece from the other side... and it shows the Necron blowing the Blood Angels ships out of the sky as they leave the planet, or something. Anything to redeem that horrible nonsense. Or the Necron Lord could walk away thinking "My, those Blood Angels sure are nice chaps. Perhaps we should invite them back to the tomb for tea?".

I'd be interested in seeing an evolution of the Necron's fluff... the time manipulation stuff sounds kinda cool. I mean, apparently Chaos gets to do it due to "blah blah time means nothing in the Warp, yay!", so the Necron should be able to manipulate it as well. Otherwise, there's no reason the Old Ones couldn't have just Warp-traveled back and wiped out the Necrontyr before they woke up the C'Tan.

Also, Terminator references require time travel.
    I agree with EVERYTHING mentioned here!
    Master Bryss and I build conversions IN A SHED. WITH CLIPPERS N' GLUE!
    Hi, I'm Titans newest recruit. PREPARE TO BE PURGED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew da Destroya View Post

I respectfully disagree. It shows the Necron as being more complex. Otherwise we'd have the Necron remain like some Saturday morning cartoon enemy; it's not like Autobots versus Decepticons/ G.I.Joe vs. Cobra every week, and never the twain shall meet. Besides, the Silent King wasn't being nice - it knew that both forces had been hammered by the Tyranids and it was unlikely the Necron would win against the marines.
    Dark Eldar 4000pts, Eldar 2000pts, Dark Angels 2500pts, Tau 2000pts.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Farseer Uthiliesh View Post
    I respectfully disagree. It shows the Necron as being more complex. Otherwise we'd have the Necron remain like some Saturday morning cartoon enemy; it's not like Autobots versus Decepticons/ G.I.Joe vs. Cobra every week, and never the twain shall meet. Besides, the Silent King wasn't being nice - it knew that both forces had been hammered by the Tyranids and it was unlikely the Necron would win against the marines.
    That's fair, but the whole piece still reeks to me. Why would the Necron have helped the Blood Angels against the Tyranid anyway? Why not just destroy them (now easier because the Blood Angels were fighting a 2 front war), then either continue purging the Tyranid, or head back into their tombs, seal up, and wait for the bugs to leave?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast