BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Drew da Destroya View Post
    That's fair, but the whole piece still reeks to me. Why would the Necron have helped the Blood Angels against the Tyranid anyway? Why not just destroy them (now easier because the Blood Angels were fighting a 2 front war), then either continue purging the Tyranid, or head back into their tombs, seal up, and wait for the bugs to leave?
    I guess because the Necron knew that they couldn't fight the Tyranids alone; and yes, they could have returned to their Tomb world to wait for the Tyranids to leave - but what would they return to? A world denuded of all organic material? Further, if that's the way the Necron operate, then forseeably they would never engage anyone, since returning to a tomb to wait until things were more suitable for them would result in no battles - just 'terrorist' style raids.

Ultimately, I find it fascinating that not all Necrontyr were of the attitude that they must wipe every living thing out - why should they be? - and therefore it is likely that some Lords would have preserved engrams where their personalities continued their neutral or a more balanced mindset. Such as the Silent King making a strategic decision to briefly ally with the Blood Angels.

However, I understand your view point and do not think that you are wrong - you are entitled to expect the background to be more in sync with how you perceive the 40k universe to be I just like morally grey characters, who aren't always so despicable.
    Dark Eldar 4000pts, Eldar 2000pts, Dark Angels 2500pts, Tau 2000pts.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Farseer Uthiliesh View Post
    I guess because the Necron knew that they couldn't fight the Tyranids alone; and yes, they could have returned to their Tomb world to wait for the Tyranids to leave - but what would they return to? A world denuded of all organic material? Further, if that's the way the Necron operate, then forseeably they would never engage anyone, since returning to a tomb to wait until things were more suitable for them would result in no battles - just 'terrorist' style raids.
    Admittedly, isn't that what they did for like, 30,000 years (or whenever the Enslaver Plague happened)? Maybe they're bored of hiding in tombs.

The idea that the Lords are retaining their personalities is certainly compelling. As I recall, it's been obliquely mentioned in the BRB fluff section, so it could very well go that way. Which, as long as they handle it well, could be cool. And dear Emperor, there had better not be any Sisters of Battle/Necron team ups... The memory of Sanctuary 101 trampled!

Oh, right, I forgot I was on the internet. Grrrr! Your opinion is stupid, and so are you! Also, your mother is a hampster!

Admittedly, isn't that what they did for like, 30,000 years (or whenever the Enslaver Plague happened)? Maybe they're bored of hiding in tombs.

The idea that the Lords are retaining their personalities is certainly compelling. As I recall, it's been obliquely mentioned in the BRB fluff section, so it could very well go that way. Which, as long as they handle it well, could be cool. And dear Emperor, there had better not be any Sisters of Battle/Necron team ups... The memory of Sanctuary 101 trampled!
    I wonder what it was that woke them up following the plague? Not arguing with you - but it does make me think what conditions they were looking for. That's why I now think that the Deceiver and the one in the Dyson sphere have been active for a long time.

Haha - Sisters and Necrons, the ultimate team up.

Oh, right, I forgot I was on the internet. Grrrr! Your opinion is stupid, and so are you! Also, your mother is a hampster!
    LOL
    Dark Eldar 4000pts, Eldar 2000pts, Dark Angels 2500pts, Tau 2000pts.

Veteran-Sergeant

I wonder what it was that woke them up following the plague? Not arguing with you - but it does make me think what conditions they were looking for. That's why I now think that the Deceiver and the one in the Dyson sphere have been active for a long time.
    There are various bits of fluff - such as the Deceiver setting up the Gothic War but also others - that suggest that the Deceiver woke up much earlier than the other C'tan and indeed most Necrons and used that time to get himself up to speed on what had been happening during their sleep and then stirring things up to weaken their enemies before the rest of the Necron's woke up.

As for the Outsider in his Dyson Sphere, I'm not sure if it that he has been active earlier than most or if it's that people (i.e. foolhardy Mechanicus Explorators) have been invading his tomb earlier than most.

Re. waking up, I think that Andy Chamber's short story 'Deus Ex Mechanicus' or a similar source suggests that the Necrons were supposed to wake up once the Enslaver plague had burnt itself out but either the mechanisms didn't work or were set to a condition that never happened in the end - the latter along the lines of the plague will wipe out everything and we will therefore wake up when our instruments tell us that everything else is dead, but the plague turned out to be not quite that bad in the end.

But I could be wrong, I need to re-read that issue of Inferno.

Veteran-Sergeant

I agree entirely that Lords having more of a personality would be nice, provided, as you say, it is handled well. And, as Farseer Uthiliesh mentioned, provided that they don't become nice in the process.

The only accurate way to represent a Sisters/ Necron team up in 40K would be to deploy a Witch Hunters army and a Necron army in the same deployment zone and have them shoot each other to pieces while a third army looked on from the other side of the table in bewilderment

Chaplain

If the necrons were, as Mat Ward suggested- nice then I think that bit of fluff could be fixed in the new necron dex.
    i.e. Necron Warrior- M'lord why did you let them go?
    Necron Lord- Let them go? No no I merely gave them directions to a neutron star. Those space vampires won't know what hit them. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!1

Obviousley the fluff will be done a little more tastefully, but you get the idea
    Master Bryss and I build conversions IN A SHED. WITH CLIPPERS N' GLUE!
    Hi, I'm Titans newest recruit. PREPARE TO BE PURGED!!!

Librarian

Haha - Sisters and Necrons, the ultimate team up.
    I think it was that life was coming back in great enough numbers to make a suitable sacrifice to their star gods? Admittedly, we're getting into parts of the fluff that I'm weak on, but I think the reason they went to sleep was because all life was getting wrecked, and it wasn't worth them sticking around for it.

Now that life is coming back, it's time again for the robotic uprising of the mid-90's.... [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1BdQcJ2ZYY[/url]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123