BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default Kids say the darnedest things

Anyone else play with young kids? I've been out of the hobby for about 15 years while my wife and I went back to school, started our own business and (of course) had children. I have 3 kids, a 13 year old daughter and two boys, 9 and 7.

Thanks to Dawn of War, all three kids became interested in 40K. I started playing Space Hulk with them, and then started playing 40K. It's a blast. I'm not sure how many folks at the LGS would appreciate them showing up, but we have a lot of fun at home.

I love the personality they attribute to each model as the game goes on and from game to game.

My daughter, Melissa, is old enough that she's just a gamer. She's cried a little of a loss here and there, but who doesn't feel like crying after failing their 3rd terminator save in a row? (She plays CSM)

My favorite quote: She misspoke one time when she first started playing CSM. Ever since, the commander of her army is "Donovan," the despoiler.

My elder son, Paul, is the best sportsman you'll ever meet. He only cares about fielding stuff he thinks is cool and will try to win, but couldn't care less if he lost.

My favorite quote: When trying to settle on a marine chapter, we discussed all the different special characters and what each chapter did: "Dad, there's no point in taking a Marine Commander if he doesn't have orbital bombardment."

My younger son, Matthew, is the consumate competitor. Every sport he plays in is full speed all the time. He's also the one that will sit and paint with me for hours. (he's a horrible painter)

My favorite quote: Paul shot and killed Matt's Warboss. As the tears welled up in Matt's eyes he said, "Now we're going to kill everything you have on the table." As if the orks were willing to negotiate before that happened.

Anyway, I don't mean to blog. I'm just trying to demonstrate how much fun we have when we play. The child's perspective on the game is a blast.

Do any of you play with younger gamers? Any quotes or stories to share?

I run a games club at my school. Best thing I ever heard was a 13 year old "veteran" telling me that me using Abbadon was a "noob" choice! Took a while for my eyebrows to climb back down, I've been playing since 2nd ed! Mind you he beat me, so he may have had a point.

Chapter-Master

Its surprising how cool kids can be when they aren't screaming little brats. A while back there was a walker game in my local GW and this little kid, maybe 8 years old, was using his dad's space wolf dreadnought. Being by far the most experienced player on the table I took him under my wing to help teach him how vehicles worked and advice him what to do.

Not only did his basic Dred out live all of my 5 Dreadnoughts (including Venerables and a Chaplain) but he managed to kill nearly as many of our opponants as I did, until 2 blood angels dred magna grappled him out of cover and their last 3 dreads assaulted him all at once. he's been back in store a few times since, and always has that dred in pride of place in his army
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Great to hear that guys but I had only bad experience with younger gamers(I mean with teenagers), and didn had a chance to play with anyone below 14....
    ....shhh, it's okay, it's just me.... I`m Beast at the back of your head.

Battle-Brother

That's awesome. Abbaddon is only for Noobs!

I'll try that on my daughter, maybe he'll stop killing so many space wolves. That guy is a beast to take down even for the wolves.

I try to get kids into 40K and get them to enjoy the game properly. Get their faces away from the computer and TV screen.

We have my son's 10 year old friend coming over tonight to play. Hopefully, they'll be more amusing than annoying.

I haven't gotten Gwen to play yet, but she has painted:
    an old scout sarg
    some marines (which she shared painting with another child), and oddly made a marine look more Nurgle-y than I've ever been able to.
    some grots
    some goblins

She also loved the GIANT SQUIG episode of Ace of Cakes and talked for awhile about squigs.

She's 7 now. Not sure if she can (or should) handle a a small game yet.
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

I don't play 40k with young kids, but my local Magic the Gathering club has some 14ish kids that are a blast to play with. At first they lost terribly, but we've taught them how to play better and now it's not such an easy fight. And we big guys are no slackers either (we place fairly well in large tournaments), but they win more often than you'd think.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grimfoe View Post
    I'll try that on my daughter, maybe he'll stop killing so many space wolves. That guy is a beast to take down .
    i am seriously worried!
    but honestly people are soooo negitive of young people! just cause i wear hoodies dosnt mean im a ned (non,educated,delinquent), and we can be humerous.

-fuzz
    p.s. IG is for noobs.
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

my oldest two kids are 4 and 2. And because they see me paint models all the time one of thier most favorite things to do is paint. Im not saying they are any good or anything (im teaching my 4 year old to drybrush atm) but its a blast sitting with them painting. My 4 year old even has his own models for fantasy and loves to play, all he cares about is pushing models around and rolling dice. Its a blast, I love gaming with him.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzbuket View Post
    i am seriously worried!
    but honestly people are soooo negitive of young people! just cause i wear hoodies dosnt mean im a ned (non,educated,delinquent), and we can be humerous.

-fuzz
    p.s. IG is for noobs.
    is reading comprehension so bad nowadays?

even when a girl fields abbaddon HE is still a male charackter and doing the killing, not the generaless that fields him

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast