BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default 'Ard Boyz, the hard way(2500 Necron)

Okay, I'm feeling mad love for my 'Crons right now.

I know they got problems, but I still love the walking undead, robotic or not! Immortality is Grand!!

I'll post pics later, but here is my starting point for the War Clowns!

HQ Deceiver
    HQ Necron Lord, Destroyer, Phase Shifter, Res Orb, War Scythe
    Elite 10 Flayed Ones, Disruption Fields
    Fast Attack 5 Destroyers
    2xFast Attack 3 Wraiths
    6x Troops 10 Warriors( one with 12)
    Heavy Support 3 Tomb Spyders

I leave the troops in the garage at deployment, rearrange with the Deceiver, then assualt a flank. VERY assualty. Phase out at 21, wiith 60 in reserves it should make phase out only an option later in the game.

I'm play testing it Monday against Blood Angels, so it should be fun! Infiltrate the Flayed ones, attach the Lord to the Wraiths and dig in!
    You scare me, wolf-brothers. You scare EVERYTHING.-Ahmad Ibn Rustah, skjald of Tra http://grayhartswarclown.blogspot.com/

So you have 6 squads of 10......meaning that the other 26 models are on the board......in front of the entire enemy army.

Yeah....good luck with that.

Chapter-Master

Me, I would take two monoliths and a spyder.

Veteran-Sergeant

I see why 26 models will take too much fire, but they are very mobile forces, and ignore difficult terrain. I don't know how it will work either.

I have tried the 2 monoliths and a spider, and I have tried the 20 warrior minimum. I thought I would try a 'Cron army that is unconventional, especially since the conventional 'Cron is considered "broken". Why repeat what doesn't work?

there is a fair amount of 3++, and a crapload of WBB. I think it might work IF I can avoid Alpha strike. But if I am going against a shooty army then starting all crons on the board would be suckville too
    You scare me, wolf-brothers. You scare EVERYTHING.-Ahmad Ibn Rustah, skjald of Tra http://grayhartswarclown.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

your biggest problem is that your troops are not mobile. Sure the rest is mobile, but if you have to Reserve, your warriors will have to march across the board. If your objectives are on the other side of the board, and your guys don't start coming in by turn 2, they simply won't make it.

I don't think taking 20 man warriors is what you want, but some monoliths at least give you the option of always reserving some troops, and having them come in through the gateway.

If I remember correctly, Blood Angels eat Necrons for lunch. At least, I remember it being that way BEFORE they got a new codex.
    Last edited by Tynskel; 04-17-2011 at 03:58 PM.

IMO the way to win with Necrons is to keep your Necron count low. This seems counter-intuitive at first but if you do the math you'll realize that with 20x warriors your phase out number is 4 whereas at 60x warriors it's 12.

Meaning your opponent has to almost kill you to the man to phase you out (which is pretty much like any other army). Then you can put your other points into other things (like 3 monoliths?).

Just my two cents, glad to see someone still plays Necrons!
    See my blog @ http://perilsoftheblog.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

That doesn't work so well. If Necrons had transports to hide in, it could work. but, it isnt hard to target and kill 16 warriors.

If you are going to have few, you need to make sure they are mostly immortals, because you need the T5.

Veteran-Sergeant

By limiting the number of Necrons you limit the WBB power. Aren't Cron hands tied enough without avoiding their resiliency?

Default Necrons for 'Ard Boyz

Quote Originally Posted by blackarmchair View Post
    IMO the way to win with Necrons is to keep your Necron count low. This seems counter-intuitive at first but if you do the math you'll realize that with 20x warriors your phase out number is 4 whereas at 60x warriors it's 12.

Meaning your opponent has to almost kill you to the man to phase you out (which is pretty much like any other army). Then you can put your other points into other things (like 3 monoliths?).

Just my two cents, glad to see someone still plays Necrons!
    There aren't enough non-NECRON models to employ this type of approach. I agree with the comment that not having a high number of models limits your WBB ability (a key ability for Necrons).

I DO like the idea of a huge number of Necron Warriors marching across the board backed by two or three monoliths tossing blast templates around. The ONLY problem is that the weapons are Rapid Fire - so you wont have a shot until you're within 12 inches if you move...of course if you get there...FEEL THE GAUSS!!!