BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: 2 vs 2 Battles

Default 2 vs 2 Battles

Hello,

I have three friends who play warhammer 40k too. Therefore we often play 2vs2 matches. Often we come across situations which are difficult. Examples are (1) more than 2 drop pods in turn one due to two marine armies within one 'army' and (2) transporting troops in another man's transport (Marines in Raider) and (3) shared FOC or every army one FOC...

My question is: Are there players who often play 2vs2 matches and what are your house rules? Are there any links or 'semi-official' rulesets for warhammer 40k with more than two players?

Thank you in advance!

Shas'o

I've played my share of 2 vs 2 and have come up with a few house rules you might like.

1) Space Marines and Orks can use each others vehicles, and the thinking behind that is they are about the same size. Since we are considering size they can't fit inside Tau, Dark Eldar, Eldar, or Imperial Guards vehicles. Also when a Eldar gets inside a rhino (2 Eldar = 1 Space Marine)

Necrons, Tyranids, and Daemons are weird when it comes to transports so we don't let them ride.

2) We always played your drop pod dilemma like it was from one codex.

3) 75 points spent to be able to benefit from the team armies special abilities. Example: Orks benefiting from Tau marker lights. We also let Kroot get this benefit when we play this style of game. Your group may not be all right with this one.

4) Sometimes we like to play bigger games with points levels around 3000 and we use a different FOC and it goes a little something like this. (2) HQ's one each. (4) Elites (8) Troops (4) Fast Attacks (4) Heavy

5) ANIMOSITY!!! Whoever heard of Tau and Orks Fighting together??? There has to be some mistrust right? So if you team up with an unfriendly and are within 3" of your team mate's unit you have to roll for animosity. Roll a D6 and on a 1 IT IS ON!!! Now each player roll a D3 for his unit who is involved and take armor saves.

Friendly List

Tau- IG, Space Marine, Eldar

Eldar- IG, Tau, Dark Eldar, Space Marine

IG- Tau, Eldar, Space Marine,

Dark Eldar- Chaos Space Marines, Chaos Daemons, Necrons, Orks, Eldar

Space Marines- IG, Tau, Eldar

Necrons- Ork, Dark Eldar, Chaos Space Marines, Tyranids, Chaos Daemons

Orks- Chaos Space Marines, Chaos Daemons, Tyranids, Necrons

Tyranids- Orks, Necrons, Chaos Daemons

Chaos Daemons- Tyranids, Dark Eldar, Orks, Necrons,
    Last edited by JxKxR; 04-18-2011 at 08:57 PM.
    When you do something right people wont be sure that you've done anything at all.

I've played plenty of 2v2 battles, and at my FLGS we're not nearly as liberal. Each player has their own FOC, there is no using each other's vehicles, no special rules transfer and nobody uses each other's HQ's leadership or special rules. That being said, I've teamed up with another Ork player against IG and Dark Eldar. The unofficial explanation we came up with was that the Dark Eldar were using an experimental mind control technology.

Chaplain

At my FLGS we say that for any team game you can only use your own wargear, transports, etc.

This ruling came up one day after an Apocalypse Game where three Carnifexes assaulted out of a Thunderhawk and Broadsides were shooting out of a Stormlord.
    Melissia Wrote: "I think the secret to getting more people to stop calling you an arrogant elitist douchebag is to stop being an arrogant elitist douchebag."

It's been awhile since i've done the 2v2, but they are so FUN when they do happen.

Out of the choices I have here, I can ally my tau with either nids or marines. Guard.... um not so much. probably because I can't stand the guy who plays guard.

yes you read right. Tau with nids. He can go full CC and I can just bring in max heavy support. it got pretty gross. I think we won on turn.. three?

Chaplain

I agree with warpcrafter, all except the special rules (only if they specifically say can be used by allies)
    Such as Astroths, or Calgars, etc etc.
    "I have seen what you will see. I have fought what you must fight, and I have slain what you must slay...." Commander Dante

Librarian

I played 2v2s for a while, until we got a second table and started running concurrent 1v1s. We did a Shared force org per team, and allowed passengers to ride in allied vehicles, but no special rules transfers. You can't start in an ally's transport, and IC's can't join allied squads. It worked out pretty well, although we may rethink the Transport rule if we go back to 2v2s.

At one point, my team won a game because I had my Wyches inside a Land Raider, sitting on an objective... which seemed a little silly.

Chaplain

My club runs a doubles tourney once a year.
    Your partner's army does not benefit from your army's rules.
    You may not use your partner's transports (so no, genestealers with frag grenades assaulting into cover from a land raider crusader).