BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Chaplain

Default Teach me a new rule!

Part of my long quest to become a FLGS owner is to know most of the rules to help solve rules debates in games and tournaments. I have a grounding in the 40K rules, enough to play a very causual game, but we still find ourselves referencing rules and RAI-ing it. A lot.

My goal is to learn the rules more indepth, maybe not memorize it all, but try to be closer to a walking encyclopedia (although we're still getting a copy of the rulebook leatherbound to look super cool). So heres my question for you guys!

Teach me a new rule! Any rule! Pick a rule from the BRB, or any codex, and explain it to me. Any rule at all, nothing is too simple or complex. Help me master this game!
    Hi ho! Hi ho! Its off to Krump we go!

Here's a simple one. Six sided dice, refered to as "D6". Are used to determine the outcome of shooting, assaults, and leadership checks, as well as random distances and other random itmes. Seems simple enough, but here's the important bit. Players should define what is a "cocked die" before the game and use that throughout. Even better would be a house rule. I have seen some players count anything that is not sitting level on the playing surface as cocked. Others have used a rule of setting another die on top. If they fall over, it is cocked and re-rolled. If not, the result stands. Another option is to have all dice rolled in a box so that there are no models or terrain to interfere. This also helps prevent dice from escaping and making a run for the door.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Culven View Post
    Here's a simple one. Six sided dice, refered to as "D6". Are used to determine the outcome of shooting, assaults, and leadership checks, as well as random distances and other random itmes. Seems simple enough, but here's the important bit. Players should define what is a "cocked die" before the game and use that throughout. Even better would be a house rule. I have seen some players count anything that is not sitting level on the playing surface as cocked. Others have used a rule of setting another die on top. If they fall over, it is cocked and re-rolled. If not, the result stands. Another option is to have all dice rolled in a box so that there are no models or terrain to interfere. This also helps prevent dice from escaping and making a run for the door.
    Good start! We tried the dice in a box thing, but it made waaay too much noise. None of that loving kthmp that a dice makes when it hits a green felt table cloth, more of a ker-CHUNK ker-CHUNK. How do you look at the definition of dice/die?

Librarian

Assaults on a tank always hit rear armour.

Tank rear armour is often low; 10 or 11.

This is why players use Space Marine Sergeants who love their power fists; fisting the rear of a tank is the easiest way to pop it open.
    The highest rear armour is 14, and it's usually only encountered on Land Raiders.

This is why people hate Land Raiders. Land Raiders' rears can't be fisted.

Necron Monoliths also have rear armour 14, but you don't see them as often.

Chaplain

But Assaults on Walkers always hits front armour right? No fisting the large walking robots?

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by MaltonNecromancer View Post
    Assaults on a tank always hit rear armour.

Tank rear armour is often low; 10 or 11.

This is why players use Space Marine Sergeants who love their power fists; fisting the rear of a tank is the easiest way to pop it open.
    The highest rear armour is 14, and it's usually only encountered on Land Raiders.

This is why people hate Land Raiders. Land Raiders' rears can't be fisted.

Necron Monoliths also have rear armour 14, but you don't see them as often.
    Wudnt say that we have 3 necron players that love there big chunks of cheese,

so sticking with necron monaliths, there living metal rule only ever allows 1D6 for armour penatration no matter what weapon your using against it melta=no, chain-fist=no, even the vindicare turbo penatrator=no.

this makes it one of the hardest things to kill in the game and to make it worse you cant glance it to death unless you have AP1 weapons (AP1 means you +1 to the damage roll) as you can never destroy all the weapons on it you can stun and shake it however.

When the word 'turn' is used in the rulebook or a codex, it always means 'player turn' unless otherwise specified. See page 9 in the rulebook.

Only stuff your oponent uses can possible be considered cheesy. YOU are allways useing a friendly army list in line with a fluffy background (in which slanesh deamon princes love to shepheard plaguemarines and obliterators into battle).

An addition to the above is that even if you win your oponent's list was cheesy as soon as he comes near to beating you.

List that beat you are by default ultra cheesy WAAC netlists produced by selling one's soul and prolly even sacrificing a virgin or two to the forces of evil...

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Xas View Post
    Only stuff your oponent uses can possible be considered cheesy. YOU are allways useing a friendly army list in line with a fluffy background (in which slanesh deamon princes love to shepheard plaguemarines and obliterators into battle).

An addition to the above is that even if you win your oponent's list was cheesy as soon as he comes near to beating you.

List that beat you are by default ultra cheesy WAAC netlists produced by selling one's soul and prolly even sacrificing a virgin or two to the forces of evil...
    Ah! I believe this is one of the golden rules! Printed on page 1 of the rulebook! GW offers printed laminate posters of it for FLGS owners to hang on their walls.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyat2460 View Post
    even the vindicare turbo penatrator=no.
    This is incorrect. The Vindicare Assassin's Turbo Penetrator round is specifically mentioned in the Necron codex as allowed.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast