BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran-Sergeant

If the sternguard are going to be anti-tank I would suggest going with the TLAssault. This way you will have both redundancy of purpose between the Razor and the Guard and the Razor will also be more able to provide anti-infantry as a support element to the Guard.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by BlindGunn View Post
    It's not a bad tactic for those marine armies that can split into Combat Squads.

Unfortunately, my Wolves don't grant me the option...

In the case of Wolves, I like Las/Plas because:
    - That's what I already had (the old version from 2nd/3rd edition)
    - Gives my Long Fangs a ride that's just the right size
    - It can provide some much needed Anti-MEQ defence if someone gets too close
    - It has the extra weapon to kill so it's harder to wreck the vehicle (usually).

If I were to get ANOTHER Razorback, probably lean towards the LasCannon version, simply because wolves lack the ranged Anti-Armour unless you go a little crazy on Long Fangs...
    That;s because your Razorbacks are for your Long Fang units. For 250pts what can your army get

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by MaltonNecromancer View Post
    True. But I'm specifically using it to transport 5 man Sterguard squads, not Tactical Marines. I'm not doing the typical marine horde thing (and have no interest in painting that many models to some half-bottomed standard); I'm doing an expensive, elite (better painted and converted) army of far fewer models.

Basically, I've been readiing a lot of the Deathwatch RPG, and having painted up enough models to use as characters for the game, I've just decided to just go the whole hog and have a Deathwatch army, which I feel can be perfectly represented by elite choices from the Vanilla marine codex.

I've got a Pedro Kantor stand in to make my Sterguard scoring, two 10 man Sternguard "tactical squads" to form a gunline, backed up with Devastators, and now this "Fire Support" section of the army, which is designed to take out tanks/MC's.

So recommending Tactical marines in Rhino isn't going to work for this army, as my Deathwatch aren't cheap Tacticals; the question was quite specific: two Razorbacks designed to carry two 5 man Sternguard teams. They are primarily tasked with providing anti-tank fire support. What loadout should I use?

I was tempted by the LasPlas, but I don't think it will look aesthetic enough (this is an army that I want to look impressive as much as play well); LasPlas are just a bit of an ugly mishmash, so I refuse to use them on that principle, no matter how good it might be strategtically.

So: do I go with the TLAssault Cannon, which will put the hurt on pretty much everything except AV 14 tanks (and then only at close range), or with TL Lacannon, which will hit far harder and further, but only be good against tanks?

The army includes two 5 man squad of Sternguard with 3 with combi-meltas and 2 meltaguns; if I put those in the Razorbacks as my primary tank-killers, does that change people's recommended load out?
    Then take the standard THB one.

Chapter-Master

If you're hunting tanks with melta, you need to be close. That means either being cheap (where you should take a Rhino and shoot out the top so you don't get easily counter assaulted), or taking a TLAC where the weapon's short range doesn't matter.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Lasplas sit back and shoot for the most part, though. TLAC, on the other hand, can move 12" to shoot, which makes up for the shorter range of the cannon. TLAC's advantage over lasplas is greater mobility, which fits better in general with the BA theme.
    Why do they have to sit back and shoot? they can still move 6" and fire at the same effectiveness, not to mention they're more durable. Don't get me wrong though, i love fast assault cannons too, i just don't think they are the only viable option on a razorback.

Lasplas has long range capability and superior anti-armor/anti-elite at short range, assualt cannons are solid all round good weapons at mid range.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    If you're hunting tanks with melta, you need to be close. That means either being cheap (where you should take a Rhino and shoot out the top so you don't get easily counter assaulted), or taking a TLAC where the weapon's short range doesn't matter.
    This a a great tactic that few people use. 5 man Sternguard with 2 Meltas would be nice. MIght have to make a unit like this as well.
    Your Codex is only great until the next one is released.....

Chapter-Master

In general, or in this specific case?

Sitting back and shooting is what most SW razorback armies do. Lots of razorbacks, lots of long fangs, etc. Blood Angels, on the other hand, tend to be a faster and more aggressive army. Even if you're not necessarily moving in to assault, you want to take advantage of your mobility.

As for this specific case, his units are filled with Sternguard with lots of melta. Sternguard are a close to medium range fire support unit so you want to be mobile with them, both so you can get close to shoot your opponent but also so you can run away effectively. If the Razorback is going to be moving, then the TL Assault Cannon is better.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123