BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Librarian

Default Razorback: Which weapons?

So: two Razorbacks designed to carry two 5 man Sternguard teams. They are primarily tasked with providing anti-tank fire support.

Do I go:

a.) Two TL Lascannon?
    b.) Two TL Assault Cannon?
    a.) One with TL Lascannon, one with TL Assault Cannon?

After initially going for option a, I'm currently veering towards option b. Assault Cannon seem to provide a higher chance of penetrating armour in the all important 11-13 category, as well as providing some hard-hitting anti-infantry firepower if necessary.

Thoughts?

Occuli Imperator

I usually use mine with the ***-cans (not just because I like that abbreviation), but the anti-infantry combined with rending is good. Though the lascannons are always useful, but are Heavy 1, so aren't so useful against infantry. It all depends on whether you go for out and out tank hunting, or want some versatility.

Battle-Brother

For me the biggest factor is the range of the assault cannons being so short, are your stern guard gonna be close enough? Presumably yes.

Chapter-Master

Lasplas is better than the TL las in general. TL AC is best for Blood Angels due to their fast vehicles. Vanilla Marines can make use of both, it depends on what you're doing with the sternguard. Since you'll be a midrange shooting unit anyways, I'd probably try the TLAC.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Veteran-Sergeant

sidebar

Is the Las plas one weapon or two? Can I fire both at the same time? Does a Weapon Destroyed take the whole turret?

I love the TLAC, so nice
    You scare me, wolf-brothers. You scare EVERYTHING.-Ahmad Ibn Rustah, skjald of Tra http://grayhartswarclown.blogspot.com/

...and where do you get the Las-Plas weapon for the Razorback turret? Do you have to make one yourself out of bitz?

Brother-Sergeant

You gotta build them. Same with the assault cannon option (unless you have a land raider crusader you aren't using). Iceman, my vote is for the assault cannons for the versatility they provide.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop! View Post
    sidebar

Is the Las plas one weapon or two? Can I fire both at the same time? Does a Weapon Destroyed take the whole turret?

I love the TLAC, so nice
    Two weapons, can't fire both at the same time. So on one hand it takes an extra weapon destroyed result to stop you, but on the other it limits your effectiveness as you move.

When you're outside of 24", however, you don't need to shoot the plasma, so you can still move. And if you're outside of, say, 12", you probably don't need to move too much so the extra firepower is nice. And when the enemy is in close range you can rapid fire and move and do a lot of damage. You may not be 100% efficient, but we're not concerned with efficiency, we're concerned with total effectiveness. Lasplas is the least efficient, but if your opponent has to come to you then it's also the most effective which is what we want.

Thus for an army that sits back and shoots, lasplas is best. For one that moves forward, TL Assault Cannon.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    You gotta build them. Same with the assault cannon option (unless you have a land raider crusader you aren't using). Iceman, my vote is for the assault cannons for the versatility they provide.
    Sponson-less Baal Predator as well. I run a BP turret on one of my RBs if I want that option.

Veteran-Sergeant

I dont know why people over look the basic Razorback with Twin-Linked Heavy Bolter. You dont have to pay an additional +35 points for a heavy weapon which is 5 points shy of another Razorback.

Take a 10 man squad, get a free flamer, get a free missile launcher, take the basic Razorback, combat squad out the 10 man squad, put the flamer and Sgt in the Razorback, use the Missile launcher for cover and to take out targets.The Razorback with the Heavy Bolter will not draw as much fire as a Assucan or the Twin LC combo, and still gives cover fire to your squads taking objectives.

A Razorback 40pts + 35pts for Assucan=75 A Predator with AC is 60pts+25pts Heavy Bolters =85
    Armor= 11/11/10 Armor= 13/11/10

Just something to think about......
    Your Codex is only great until the next one is released.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast