BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mein Hobby, Dein Hobby (My hobby, your hobby)

An interesting bit of philosophy I picked up from a GW store in Bonn, Germany last summer.

The store manager there, Martin, would tell me that everyone has their own way of doing the WHFB/WH40K/LotR hobby. He insisted that, as long as you're having fun and being nice to others, everyone is entitled to participate in the hobby in their own way.

What does the Lounge think of this philosophy?

Adeptus Custodes

Hard to argue with that, altough what if someone is being annoying when they think they're being helpful? In what way should a person not be allowed to participate in the hobby?
    More Necromunda please.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitkraft View Post
    An interesting bit of philosophy I picked up from a GW store in Bonn, Germany last summer.

The store manager there, Martin, would tell me that everyone has their own way of doing the WHFB/WH40K/LotR hobby. He insisted that, as long as you're having fun and being nice to others, everyone is entitled to participate in the hobby in their own way.

I'd have to say "QFT" since it's my philosophy as well.

Chaplain

I agree with the philosophy. Its a hobby, its meant for people to have fun and be creative with. If it was meant to be a brainless boring grind it'd be classified as "work". If we want to houserule, lets houserule! If we want to paint our models hot pink, then.. do.. it.. I guess if you have to.

At the same time, there still needs to be some barriers. Mainly with events with many people who aren't always from the same gaming group. If I go and play a tourney, I expect there to be a set of hard, fast, unbreakable rules. I don't want to square off against an opponent who can pull something out of a hat and say 'well, this is how we do it with my friends'. Thats fine, and I support that, but in a more competative setting some limits are required.

Otherwise, more power to the philosophy of the hobby!

We should make that our slogan
    Hi ho! Hi ho! Its off to Krump we go!

Librarian

Seine Philosophie ist sehr lobenswert.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitkraft View Post

I think it is a good philosophy in principle, but it might not happen in practice because the player base is in the hobby for different reasons. When they keep to their own, things are fine, but when they have to compete (the main reason for the conflict), then there will be conflict because both can't have their idea of fun. The old fluff bunny vs. WAAC or beardy player conflict.

If the fluff bunnies play each other with their narrative campaigns and 'non-optimized' lists, everyone is having fun. If the competitive players are playing one another, both players are having fun, especially the winner. If a competitive player and 'fluff bunny' are playing each other, then there is conflict and the experience might not be fun. The 'fluff bunny' might get tabled and quite early which might lead the competitive player to give advice on how to be a more competitive player, while the 'fluff bunny' will groan about how the competitive player's list goes against the fluff.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by MaltonNecromancer View Post
    Seine Philosophie ist sehr lobenswert.
    Es macht Spass Deutsch zu sprechen und Warhammer zu spielen! Das ist meine Philosophie.

Chapter-Master

This is why I don't like painting scores at tournaments, at least when they're integrated into the tournament itself. I came to the tournament to play, who are you to punish me because I'm not a big painter?
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    This is why I don't like painting scores at tournaments, at least when they're integrated into the tournament itself. I came to the tournament to play, who are you to punish me because I'm not a big painter?
    Aye, its true. Thats why when I open my store (huzza!) for painting score it'll just be a or b. Did you paint your army? or were you a lazy axe and just met the two colour minimum with no effort given?
    Hi ho! Hi ho! Its off to Krump we go!

Either alot of people who where here a while ago are not here, did not read this post, or is keeping quiet. There was a few threads about a year ago about how the hobby should be.

People were telling other people how they had to be in this hobby. Talking about WYSIWYG also, more thant 3 colours based, must be flocked, fully painted armied etc etc. If you didnt meet this cirteira, they you were not really into the hobby.

It was brutal. People who just played and didn't paint were told to go play chess, that they shouldn't be in the hobby because they ruined it. It was said how can someone ruin something when you will in most cases never seen them.

I say do what you have that makes it fun for you. I am lucky where I play.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast