BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitkraft View Post
    An interesting bit of philosophy I picked up from a GW store in Bonn, Germany last summer.

The store manager there, Martin, would tell me that everyone has their own way of doing the WHFB/WH40K/LotR hobby. He insisted that, as long as you're having fun and being nice to others, everyone is entitled to participate in the hobby in their own way.

What does the Lounge think of this philosophy?
    I agree with it.

The fact that I (singular pronoun) will NEVER field an unpainted nor partly assembled model in a game has no reflection on my opponents. I came into this hobby via Historicals, and that club were ALL like that (mind you, WHFB didn't exist yet, either). I don't think I ever saw an unpainted unit in all of my time there.

Librarian

Es macht Spass Deutsch zu sprechen und Warhammer zu spielen! Das ist meine Philosophie.
    Ich kann hinter das, mein Freund bekommen. Es ist eine Schande ist mein Deutsch so schlecht.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    This is why I don't like painting scores at tournaments, at least when they're integrated into the tournament itself. I came to the tournament to play, who are you to punish me because I'm not a big painter?
    So true...I hate tournaments at my painting competitions also. Oh...wait. Just remember, for every one of you at a big tournament, there is one of me, just looking at models, learning how to be a better artist.

Occuli Imperator

we are all impressed with other languages... now use english.

Duke
    Red text= mod voice
    Black text= regular voice

Follow my blog! Www.dukesinferno.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Skragger View Post
    Aye, its true. Thats why when I open my store (huzza!) for painting score it'll just be a or b. Did you paint your army? or were you a lazy axe and just met the two colour minimum with no effort given?
    Two colour minimum? Wow, and I thought a 3 colour minimum was absurdly low

I'd say make sure you set it up so you have multiple categories, ie Best Presented (For painting and display board) and Best General (for best in the fighting), that way people can land where-ever they feel comfortable - as a painting comp or as a playing comp

Quote Originally Posted by MaltonNecromancer View Post
    Ich kann hinter das, mein Freund bekommen. Es ist eine Schande ist mein Deutsch so schlecht.
    Out of intrest, is this two British people speaking German :L? Oh and I agree with the Philosophy, it just makes sense tbh
    [I][I] =][= "Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse” =][=

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus-Master-of-The-4th View Post
    Out of intrest, is this two British people speaking German :L? Oh and I agree with the Philosophy, it just makes sense tbh
    British humour don't you just love it.....

To me the philosophy sounds like a plea for tolerance, which is something that's good to have in nearly all life situations in my book. So two thumbs up. Accept that other people do things differently from you without telling them that they're doing it wrong.

As previously mentioned, things like tournaments do assume that everyone understands and adheres to some common rules to do with gameplay and etiquette and things like that, so those who play their games very differently from others also need to understand that not following the standard might exclude them from some aspects of the hobby. But as long as tournaments are optional rather than mandatory (or those who play by different rules host separate tournaments), I see no problems in that. The key is to remain open and not judgmental.

Chaplain

Funny how this devolved to the painting thing again.

I like to paint my troops and base them. But I am not a professional and I don't seem to have the technique some do. But I like painting and it helps me identify my troops in the clean up after the battle. In one tournament I found a couple of figures that accidentally fell into some one else's box because I used unique colours. My Eldar are all done in metallics.

The primary joy is the game, though I am never going to be tournament champion either.

The replies so far have been interesting. I will be perfectly honest when I say that I HATE painting but enjoy modeling and playing. While I believe this is alright for the FLGS, if I go to a tournament (i.e. Adepticon) that requires me to have a painted army, of course I'll have a fully painted army since it's their venue and their rules.Does it look horribad? Oh yeh, but it is 3 colors

Also; Ich freue mich d'rueber, wenn andere Leute Deutch koennen und auch auf Deutsch spielen koennen, weil ich Deutsch als Huaptfach studiere.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12