BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dedicated transports and Combat Squads

I have been looking for an answer on this but I can't quite pit it down. Here it goes: If I take a 10 man squad of GKSS and I am Planning to combat squad them, can I take a Razorback even though the original squad is too big to fit? The dedicated transport rules in the big book do not say that a unit cannot select a transport that is too small to carry the entire squad. And the codex does not say anything that would prohibit it.

What it boils down to is I want to take a 10 man GKSS and upgrade the entire unit with psybolt ammo split them and have half ride in a razorback. Can I do this?

Chaplain

I have a feeling its not fully legal. Its like going "Hey my eight friends! Lets go on a road trip! But my car only holds 5 people so the rest of you need to walk!"
    Hi ho! Hi ho! Its off to Krump we go!

Brother-Captain

You can take a dedicated transport for any size squad in most codices. There are a few specific (older) books that require that the squad has to be able to fit inside, but there isn't any requirement like that for Grey Knights. So, feel free to buy a dedicated Razorback for a combat squad. You aren't required to use the transport at all if you don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Lerra View Post
    You can take a dedicated transport for any size squad in most codices. There are a few specific (older) books that require that the squad has to be able to fit inside, but there isn't any requirement like that for Grey Knights. So, feel free to buy a dedicated Razorback for a combat squad. You aren't required to use the transport at all if you don't want to.
    That is how I was interpreting it and hoping I was correct. While it does say that you can't get part of a squad into a transport, combat squads are technically separate for game play purposes.

One other question though If you have a ten man that breaks into two 5 man squads, do you have to decide which combat squad gets the transport, or is it a floating transport for either?

Quote Originally Posted by Tupenzero View Post
    What it boils down to is I want to take a 10 man GKSS and upgrade the entire unit with psybolt ammo split them and have half ride in a razorback. Can I do this?
    Yes you can. It has been faq'd somewhere (sorry, too lazy to pull it up). As far as the decision who gets to ride in it is done at deployment but you don't have to put either of them in there. Like you said its a 'floating' transport.

Chapter-Master

Yep, perfectly legal.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

While it does say that you can't get part of a squad into a transport, combat squads are technically separate for game play purposes.
    Combat Squads aren't "technically" separate, they are separate Units, but only after they Deploy. So, when the Transport is selected, they are a single Unit (not that it matters since there is nothing preventing them from selecting a Razorback), and if the Unit is placed in Reserves, it is a single 10-man Unit, and wouldn't be able to use the Razorback to enter play from Reserves.
    One other question though If you have a ten man that breaks into two 5 man squads, do you have to decide which combat squad gets the transport, or is it a floating transport for either?
    Either portion can be Deployed inside the Razorback, and then any Unit that fits can use it.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Culven View Post
    and if the Unit is placed in Reserves, it is a single 10-man Unit, and wouldn't be able to use the Razorback to enter play from Reserves.
    nothing says they have to be in the vehicle while in reserves. They can 'walk on' out of the vehicle.

John M>

Veteran-Sergeant

Page 67 Rule Book "The only limitation of a dedicated transport is that when it is deployed it can only carry the unit it was selected with (plus any independent characters). After the game begins, it can then transport any friendly infantry unit, subject to the transport capacity."

So long as you combat squad out a 10 man squad and only 5 of them start off in the Razorback, it is legal. After that turn on your yellow cab sign and pick up who ever can fit into it.
    Your Codex is only great until the next one is released.....

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by AngelsofDeath View Post
    Page 67 Rule Book "The only limitation of a dedicated transport is that when it is deployed it can only carry the unit it was selected with (plus any independent characters). After the game begins, it can then transport any friendly infantry unit, subject to the transport capacity."

So long as you combat squad out a 10 man squad and only 5 of them start off in the Razorback, it is legal. After that turn on your yellow cab sign and pick up who ever can fit into it.
    This is what I do with Crowe. I deploy him near an empty rhino, embark him and drive him up near a character I want dead. Works surprisingly well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast