BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WIP Doom of Malan'Tai

We've all seen conversions of the infamous Zoanthrope, but I have yet to see one that follows the official image for him. I'm trying to fix that.
    [URL=http://img545.imageshack.us/i/wipdoomofmalantai.jpg/][/URL]

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]

Obviously not a carbon-copy, but close enough. It's still a WIP, as there are things missing. The ribs have yet to be done, lots of vents and random details need to be added, the base is unfinished, etc. Here's the image from the Tyranids Codex for reference.

[URL=http://img685.imageshack.us/i/domnl.jpg/][/URL]

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]

Here's a list of parts I used:
    -Trygon head piece, claw, and Trygon Prime tail.
    -Tyranid Warrior mouth.
    -Tyrant claws (metal).
    -Carnifex armor plates and scything tail (the vents).
    -Tyranid MC Heavy Venom Cannon connector tube.
    -Termagant rifle connector tube (part of the tail).
    -Ripper Tail (end of tail).
    -Fantasy High elf (used to make the Malan'Tai Eldar on the base.

The Doom of Malan'Tai is going to be connected to the base with wire (lightning) coming out of his brain and to several parts of the Eldar. I'll probably also change the angle of the eldar, so it seems the Doom killed him with a whack of his tail, sent him flying, then came back close to devour his soul. To the Eldar's benefit, he didn't let go of his Singing Spear even after he died.

Needless to say, any and all comments and criticism are welcome!

EDIT: Doom, not Dom. Man I fail at typing
    Last edited by Lemt; 04-24-2011 at 12:36 PM.

That's spot on.

Veteran-Sergeant

Best one I have seen so far, looking forward to seeing it painted

Chaplain

Yep...pretty awesome work. I really like the brain.

Librarian

I would say you should put some vents on the side of the head like the picture to widen it out a little, would make it look even more stunning.

But even that aside, that is an amazing model, absolutely beautiful work. This is probably the best conversion I have yet to see for the Doom of Malan'tai.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Rose Widow View Post
    I would say you should put some vents on the side of the head like the picture to widen it out a little, would make it look even more stunning.

But even that aside, that is an amazing model, absolutely beautiful work. This is probably the best conversion I have yet to see for the Doom of Malan'tai.
    Yeah, I'm still working on that. I have to put small vents on the sides of the head armor, the small tubes on the neck, the ribs, and the vents on the side of the body. And then cover up a bit of the lower part of the brain.

And thanks for the comments! I'll try to finish the modeling by tomorrow.

Chapter-Master

some seriously wicked (green)stuff!

Veteran-Sergeant

This is easily the best Doom (or is it Dom? =P) of Malantai I have ever seen. And, more to the point, it will probably remain the best for some time to come. =)

Chapter-Master

very nice conversion but is it wrong to say that the nicely painted farseer intrests me more?! :P

well if you can paint the doom as nicely as that itd be really cool
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

I haven't finished painting the Farseer yet. I want to finish the DoM, decide where exactly the wires (psychic bolts) are going to go, and then finish painting it with the appropiate highlights and whatnot. But don't worry, I'll take pictures of the base too.

I've done some more work on the DoM, but it's going slower than I'd hoped. I have to make all the little details apart, and I have to wait for them to cure before I glue them. The modelling will take a few more days, but I'll try to have one half of the miniature finished by tomorrow to post some more pics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast