BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default How to kit out a Hive Tyrant?

well, I am a recent convert to tyranidism, and have been running a tyrant in my list to moderate success. I always take him with 3 tyrant Guard w/ lash whips, and often an attached tyranid prime w/ a deathspitter and LW/BS. I typically run my Tyrant with a LW/BS, TL Devourers, and Old Adversary, giving him Armored Shell and regeneration when the points permit. My question is, is there a better armament loadout in y'all's opinion? I am wantin to paint him, but dont want to start till i have him the way I want him
    <('.'<)(>'.')><( '.')>(>.<)<( '.')>(>'.')><('.'<)

Librarian

You have success with Hive Tyrants? Kudos.
    Touched by His Noodly Appendage

Chapter-Master

I am a fan of guard with lash whips.

Defiler Class:
    The tyrant has 1 set of Devourers, Psychic Scream, Leech Essence, Thorax Swarm Shredder Shard Beetles, Bone Sword/Lash Whip, Old Adversary, and Hive Commander.
    If point to spare, acid blood and miasma.

Three guns a turn + kick butt in CC.

wait? Someone doesn't like tyrants? I have always kicked butt with them. Every opponent I have fought freaks out over it.

Librarian

The only time I've had anything even approaching success with a Tyrant is with two pairs of scything talons, wings and a screening unit of ten gargoyles.
    Touched by His Noodly Appendage

Chapter-Master

I set up as close as possible to the enemy. Being part of the guard, they get easy cover saves. I run the first 3 turns (as does most of my army) usually. It at first sounds counter intuitive, but rounds 4-6 pay off. Once you are in the middle of your opponent, Psychic Scream starts to actually kill things left n' right. Plus, this allows you shoot anything and charge any unit you want, afterward.

I do use a fair amount of Hormogaunts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post

I do use a fair amount of Hormogaunts.
    i do as well, i like to run 2 squads of 16, give em AG/TS and just bum rush em up the field. they are so fast, that is what made me fall in love with em.

Chapter-Master

my dirty little secret is 3 sky-slasher swarm bases with AG and TS. They hang behind the tyrant, and charge whatever the tyrant is after. 69 points for 15 attacks that strike 'first' (lash whips from the tyrant squad) with Poison, Str 4, and re-roll to hit. After combat, they can screen the tyrant (swarms screen squads).

If someone shoots them, meh! 69 points! Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    my dirty little secret is 3 sky-slasher swarm bases with AG and TS. They hang behind the tyrant, and charge whatever the tyrant is after. 69 points for 15 attacks that strike 'first' (lash whips from the tyrant squad) with Poison, Str 4, and re-roll to hit. After combat, they can screen the tyrant (swarms screen squads).

If someone shoots them, meh! 69 points! Whatever!
    You could also run 10 Gargoyles with Toxin Sacs. 1 more point, but it's 20 attacks on the charge. Sure, they won't re-roll to wound agast T4+, but blinding poison sort of makes up for it (specially if the Tyrant has Old Adversary). In exchange, you are also less vulnerable to S6+ weapons.

Chapter-Master

true. I do that as well. However, I use gargoyles paired with other harassing units, like genestealers, not to mention, I like to take at least 15. What I like about the rippers is that they are somewhat difficult to kill, unless your opponent dedicates significant strength firepower. The 3+ cover saves help a lot.

hrmm, those are some pretty sweet ideas, Tynskel, what makes you prefer the shreddershard beetles over the others?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast