BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Says right there in the codex that you may replace any weapon on a ravager with a Disintegrator cannon.

As for the Draigo+ Paladins idea: REALLY cool thematically, my force would shred it in seconds.

You lose 2.5 paladins per turn. After turn 2, you are realistically looking at only Draigo himself on the field. And the only ranged anti-tank anyone in the army has in that list is the S5 AP- large blast template, which is unlikely to hit anything at only 12" range. Remember, ravagers are AV11 so the storm bolters aren't going to do jack.

Place the ravagers in front of the Venoms to create a LOS-blocking, cover-granting wall and frankly that force is just going to crumble without any ability to actually engage anything in CC and outranged completely.

Even if you deep strike, you have to hope that you roll 6s all over the place (AND that I fail cover and flat-out saves).

baron sarthonyx

10 hellions
    > helliarch
    > agonizer + splinter pistol

raider w/ dissie
    > flickerfield
    > nightshield
    > splinter racks
    > torment grenade launchers

10 kabalite warriors
    > blaster
    > splintercannon

500 exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by thecactusman17 View Post
    Says right there in the codex that you may replace any weapon on a ravager with a Disintegrator cannon.

My bad, I don't have my codex with me so I can't check but I thought you had to replace all three when switching weapons.

I have an idea for one but I don't have my DE codex with me so the points are from memory.

Baron Sathonyx 105

8x Hellions, helliarch and agoniser 158

Ravager with night shields flicker fields and dark lances 125

5x Kabalite warriors in venom with the extra splinter cannon 110

I would probably tweek it before I played a game but that's the general idea. I'm to tired right now to really explain the method behind the army. Here it is 3o'clock curse insomnia!
    Last edited by jorz192; 04-29-2011 at 01:26 AM.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by MaltonNecromancer View Post
    True. I'd love to see how that DE list fares against Draigo and his four Paladin. I honestly don't know which way that battle would go...
    Draigo and his 4 paladin friends would not be a very competive list. And would likely lose to anything with an armor value. But that doesnt make it any less fun to play.

Your best bet would be draigo joined w/ a two man paladin sqaud with halberd and hammer, and two one man paladins hiding on objectives. This way you can drop AP1 and instant death wounds on Draigo and pray they make into close combat. Even then you are likely going to lose.

Brother-Captain

I second the idea that the required FOC should be only 1 HQ 1 Troop. Fielding 2 troops an an HQ at 500 points is difficult for some armies. And everyone can field cooler armies if they are less restricted.

Librarian

Fielding 2 troops an an HQ at 500 points is difficult for some armies.
    Therin lies why this is a challenge; it's not supposed to be easy

And everyone can field cooler armies if they are less restricted.
    Which is not the point of this. Think of it as being like a sonnet. In a sonnet, you have to write in iambic pentameter and a rigid rhyme scheme, or else it's not a sonnet - it's just some writing; the same principle applies here. Yes, you can break the restrictions... but you're not meeting the challenge, you're just doing what you want. Yes, you may well not be able to design something that can win a game; oh well. Try a different army / different units to the ones you normally would. It's a challenge!

The restrictions are there. Post an army or don't, but I said at the start -

The challenge here is to take the limitations, and try to invent something that can actually win a game.

Yes, it's unbalanced, hard, and near impossible.This is deliberate.

Mytherers and whiners need not apply.
    I'm not sure what wasn't clear there; I'm fully aware that removing the FOC restrictions means you can field all sorts of things. You don't have that option here, and that's the challenge!

As a final note, do remember; what is competitive changes significantly at the lower points level. For one thing, you see a lot less armour, and a lot less high armour. The most feared army in our last tournament was the BA force which was basically Dante and a squad of Sanguinary Guard (as well as a tiny unit of Death Company that died almost immediately every single game). I cannot stress how much that Dante/SG unit dominated everything they ran into. They weren't unbeatable, but they were terrifying. In a larger battle, much less so but at 500 points? Every general who had to face them groaned with fear.
    Last edited by MaltonNecromancer; 04-29-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Lerra View Post
    I second the idea that the required FOC should be only 1 HQ 1 Troop. Fielding 2 troops an an HQ at 500 points is difficult for some armies. And everyone can field cooler armies if they are less restricted.
    This would be a terrible idea. I mean truly horrific. Yes, Necrons would suddenly be able to go beyond basics. But Necrons going beyond basics would still take a second unit of Warriors to fight off phase-out. At most, they would fill out the minimum, get a res orb, and then get more Warriors with whatever was left.

Armies that would accelerate to broken status:

Dark Eldar
    5th edition Marines (any variety)
    Guard
    Witch Hunters (500 pts minus cheapest HQ and troops = 350+ points to spend on Exorcists. 3d6 S8 AP1 at 500 points. per turn.)
    Orks
    Eldar (hello, Bike-lock squad!)

Well, I'd still unrestrict Necrons somehow to make them playable. Of course if nobody wants to play them either way there's no need to bother, but the rules as they stand makes them unplayable.

HQ
    • Primaris Psyker

Troops
    • Veteran Squad - x2 Meltaguns, Chimera (multilaser/heavy flamer)
    • Veteran Squad - x2 Meltaguns, Chimera (multilaser/heavy flamer)
    • Veteran Squad - x3 Grenade Launchers, Chimera (multilaser/heavy flamer)

Primaris Psyker goes with the Grenade Launcher squad.

Battle-Brother

Talking

HQ: Tervigon w/catalyst
    Troops: Tervigon
    Termagants (10)
    Genestealers (8)

Simple, but fun. With any luck, it will become a self perpetuating swarm of little shooty bugs.

HQ Tervigon is the show piece of the army and and nothing says Tyranids like a brood of Genestealers.
    "...if I had a millions of years of time and infinite power and had come up with the universe as we know it, I should be ashamed of myself." -Pigliuchi paraphrasing Bertrand Russel

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast